Edward M. Cramp represents institutions of higher education around the United States in accreditation, regulatory, litigation, and transactional matters. He also serves as the managing partner of the firm’s San Diego office.
Mr. Cramp is active in the private postsecondary education community. He regularly speaks at conferences and events throughout the country on a variety of issues.
Mr. Cramp served as a judge advocate in the United States Navy, where he was appointed to the rank of Lieutenant Commander. During his time in the naval service, he defended numerous matters before courts-martial and administrative boards. He also represented the interests of the United States in claims brought against and on behalf of the Navy.
Mr. Cramp is a strong advocate of diversity and inclusion in the workplace and LGBTQ rights. He serves on the steering committee of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion program. He regularly represents members of the LGBTQ community in civil rights matters on a pro bono basis and is active in the local LGBTQ community.
Mr. Cramp is admitted to practice in California and Illinois. He is a graduate, with honors, of the Illinois Institute of Technology's Chicago-Kent College of Law and a graduate of the University of California, Riverside.
Areas of Practice
- Higher Education
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1996
- University of California, Riverside, B.A. Economics, B.A. Political Science, 1993
Duane Morris LLP
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP, San Diego, California
- Associate, 2001-2003
- United States Navy, Judge Advocate General's Corps, San Diego, California
- Trial Attorney, Judge Advocate, 1996-2000
Board of Directors, Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Foundation, 2019-2020
- General Counsel, American Association of Cosmetology Schools
- General Counsel, Beauty Changes Lives Foundation
- Federal Club Member, Human Rights Campaign
- Co-author, "Higher Education Institution and Student Relief in the CARES Act," Duane Morris Alert, April 1, 2020
- Co-author, "U.S. Department of Education Issues COVID-19 Guidance to Schools," Duane Morris Alert, March 12, 2020
Co-author, "U.S. Department of Education Confirms New Reporting Requirements Apply to Public Colleges and Universities," Duane Morris Alert, June 12, 2019
Co-author, "Deadline Draws Near for Compliance with U.S. Department of Education’s 2016 Borrower Defense to Repayment (BDR) Rule," Duane Morris Alert, May 8, 2019
Co-author, "The Trouble with Triggers: Newly Effective Postsecondary Institution Reporting Obligations Under the Borrower Defense to Repayment Rule," Duane Morris Alert, April 9, 2019
Co-author, "Implementing the 2016 Borrower Defense to Repayment (BDR) Rule - Arbitration Agreements and Class Action Waivers," Duane Morris Alert, March 21, 2019
Co-author, "Seventh Circuit Rules Cosmetology Students Are Not Employees," Duane Morris Alert, August 29, 2017
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Preparing for Implementation of the New Title IX Final Rule: The New Role of the Title IX Coordinator," Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, June 24, 2020
- Speaker, "Preparing for Implementation of the New Title IX Final Rule: Compliance and Risk Management Considerations," Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, June 5, 2020
Speaker, "The Legal Update," California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools (CAPPS) 34th Annual Conference, Rancho Mirage, California, October 12, 2018
"Between Storms: Use the Opportunity to Recraft Transparent, Fair and Successful Admissions Processes," CECU Annual Convention, Orlando, Florida, June 4, 2018