Eric R. Breslin is co-chair of the White-Collar Criminal Defense division of Duane Morris' Trial Practice Group. Mr. Breslin concentrates his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation and white-collar criminal litigation, representing a broad range of companies and individuals.
Mr. Breslin has tried a variety of criminal and civil matters to verdict in state and federal courts in New Jersey and elsewhere. He has also conducted numerous internal investigations for corporate clients.
Mr. Breslin is a former judicial clerk to the Honorable Robert N. Wilentz, Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, and he is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York. Mr. Breslin is a 1982 graduate, with honors, of George Washington University Law School and a graduate of Oberlin College.
Areas of Practice
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Represented an executive facing charges of failure to pay income taxes under N.J.S.A. 54:42-9 in a criminal investigation by the New Jersey Division of Taxation. No criminal charges were brought and the case will now be handled as a civil collections matter.
- Obtained a ruling for a sporting-goods manufacturer that reversed the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Unemployment Compensation Division's initial finding of an employer-employee relationship between the company and its seasonal workers.
- Obtained a decision from the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court that set the discipline of a client who was facing possible disbarment at a two-year suspension from the practice of law.
- Represented several financial news letter publishers in criminal investigation and in subsequent civil litigation by Securities & Exchange Commission. Investigation resulted in no charges filed and civil litigation settled for nominal settlement.
- Represented attorney in state and federal securities inquiries related to real estate investment vehicles, with outcome that the client found favorable.
- Represented pharmaceutical company and officer accused of sexual harassment and other employment-related misconduct. Case was dropped after vigorous defense.
- Represented Puerto Rican power company in case involving allegations of serious criminal conduct. Effective defense resulted in misdemeanor plea agreement.
- Defended rock star entertainer who was accused of solicitation and other criminal conduct. Case was dismissed.
- Represented company that performs background checks for alleged negligent failure to screen background of worker who murdered a customer of his employer. Effective defense yielded limited settlement contribution of $5,000.
- Defended manufacturer sued for lost profits, damage to business reputation and consequential damages related to claims of contract breach and failure to deliver working equipment in timely manner. After cross-examination of principal witness, obtained favorable settlement for fraction of total damages sought.
- Handled internal investigation for pharmaceutical company with Puerto Rico operations. Investigation involved environmental issues and alleged violations of the Clean Air Act that potentially jeopardized company's licensing and permitting.
- Handled internal investigation for law firm with employees suspected of inappropriately using computers for potentially criminal purposes. Determined size and scope of problem and recommended effective options for solving it.
- Represented individual in shareholder dispute involving alleged duties of selling shareholders. Obtained favorable result.
- Represented woman accused of intentionally running over her lover with a vehicle. Obtained acquittal in non-jury trial.
- Handled matter in state court for subsidiary of major transportation company sued by a worker who alleged serious injuries from an accident at an airport terminal. Obtained favorable settlement of $3,000.
- Represented individuals accused of securities fraud and defrauding the government as a result of stock transactions related to a defense contracting company.
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors, 1982
- Oberlin College, B.A., History, 1979
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2004-present
- Epstein, Becker & Green, Newark, New Jersey
- Partner, 1999-2004
- Hannoch Weisman, P.C., Roseland, New Jersey
- Partner, 1989-1999
- Kostelanetz & Ritholz, New York, New York
- Associate, 1985-1988
- Stryker, Tams & Dill, Newark, New Jersey
- Associate, 1983-1985
- New Jersey Supreme Court
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert N. Wilentz, Chief Justice, 1982-1983
- Appointed to the Criminal Justice Act Panel, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2016-2018
- Appointed to the New Jersey Supreme Court Criminal Practice Committee, 2013-2019
- National Trial Lawyers for Criminal Defense
- American Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Section
-- White Collar Crime Committee
--- New York Regional Subcommittee Chair
--- Program Director, New York Region
- District VA Ethics Committee
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2015-2017
- Listed in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, Civil Litigation Defense, 2009 and 2010
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
No aspect of these rankings has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- Contributor, Duane Morris White Collar Criminal Law Blog
- Co-author, "Anti-Corruption 2018 Practice Guide," Chambers and Partners, September 2017
- Author, "Supreme Court of N.J. Issues Two Significant Search and Seizure Opinions," New Jersey Law Journal, August 10, 2015
- Featured in "THE MADOFF FIVE: History's Greatest Fraud Yields One Of The Greatest Legal Slugfests Of Our Time," Forbes, December 31, 2014
- Featured in "Triple Play: Eric Breslin, a Partner with Duane Morris, on White-Collar Criminal Defense," NJBIZ, April 13, 2014
- Featured in "Q&A with Duane Morris' Eric Breslin," Law360, May 30, 2013
- Co-author, "Use It or Lose It: U.S. Supreme Court Holds the SEC Must Bring Civil Enforcement Actions Within Five Years of Wrongful Conduct," Duane Morris Alert, February 28, 2013
- Featured in "Litigator in the Spotlight" by Jan Wolfe, The American Lawyer, January 2013
- Co-author, "U.S. Supreme Court Limits Honest-Services Fraud Prosecutions to Schemes to Defraud Involving Bribes or Kickbacks," Duane Morris Alert, June 28, 2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, "Collection of Digital Evidence for Use at Trial," Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, West Orange, New Jersey, October 29, 2016
- Moderator, "Brave New World: What the Government's New War on Computer Crimes Means for Privacy Interests," American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section's Fourth Annual Prescription for Criminal Justice Forensics, New York City, June 7, 2013
- "What To Do When The IRS Comes Knocking: A Primer for Accountants," given to various accounting groups