Modern businesses face many challenges in navigating an increasingly complex regulatory and legal landscape. While the first line of defense is always a strong compliance program, even the most responsible business may find itself the subject of a regulatory or even criminal investigation. When that day comes, businesses, their boards, executives and employees need counsel experienced in responding to the weight and force of such government actions. The lawyers in our White-Collar and Regulatory Group have extensive experience representing corporate and individual clients in all stages of government investigations and civil and criminal cases. Whether the goal is to convince prosecutors or regulators not to bring enforcement actions or, when necessary, convincing juries in follow-on civil or criminal litigation, Duane Morris attorneys have a history of skillfully representing clients in challenging federal and state proceedings.
Our team includes several former high-ranking government officials with the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission and United States Attorneys’ and Federal Defenders’ Offices around the country, in addition to those who have distinguished themselves as lifelong criminal defense counsel. As a result, our lawyers have first-hand and front-line experience in how prosecutors, regulators and investigators think, structure their investigations and build their cases, allowing us to anticipate what is coming and formulate defenses and strategies to address government action head-on.
- We capitalize on the decades of experience our lawyers have conducting internal corporate investigations and navigating regulatory and criminal investigations, with the goal of securing the best possible result: no action or enforcement by the government.
- Critical to our success is the fact that our lawyers have substantial experience in managing the complexities of multijurisdictional and multiagency investigations, as well as having the necessary skills and depth to handle the ever-present parallel proceedings and congressional and legislative hearings.
Many firms claim to have these same talents and personnel. What helps separate us is that we are more than just litigators – we are trial lawyers. Our lawyers appear in state, federal and administrative courts, and regularly try both civil and criminal cases to judges and juries, leading to the induction of multiple Duane Morris lawyers into the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers and the development of specific acumen in a multitude of areas, including:
- Criminal and civil antitrust and foreign competition
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and UK Bribery Act
- SEC investigations and enforcement proceedings
- Tax fraud, the Bank Secrecy Act’s Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
- Healthcare fraud and False Claims Act, qui tam/whistleblower actions
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) enforcement
- Environmental and EPA enforcement
- Government procurement fraud
- Immigration and Customs enforcement
- Theft of trade secrets and economic espionage
- Public and political corruption
Regardless of what our clients face – internal, government or regulatory investigations or complex criminal or civil litigation – Duane Morris White-Collar Criminal Defense attorneys are personally vested in our clients’ legal challenges and focus our considerable creativity and experience to achieve the best result possible.
For More Information
For more information, please contact George D. Niespolo, Eric R. Breslin or any of the practice members referenced in the Attorney Listing.