Mary P. Hansen defends clients in connection with investigations and litigation involving state and federal financial regulatory agencies, including the SEC, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the National Futures Association (NFA) and the Department of Justice (DOJ). Ms. Hansen counsels investment advisers, broker-dealers, financial services industry clients, and public and private companies in federal and state regulatory investigations and leads internal corporate investigations involving potential violations of federal securities law and other executive or employee misconduct. She also counsels clients with respect to compliance policies, procedures and strategies.
Ms. Hansen previously served as supervisor in the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) Division of Enforcement. Prior to entering private practice, she served as law clerk to the Hon. Raymond J. Dearie of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Ms. Hansen is a 1998 magna cum laude graduate of St. John’s University School of Law, where she was a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review, and a graduate of the State University of New York at Albany.
Areas of Practice
White-Collar Criminal Defense and Investigations
Internal Corporate Investigations
- Represented registered investment adviser in connection with an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission involving undisclosed conflicts of interest resulting from certain payments received by adviser and its affiliate.
- Represented a licensed insurance agent and registered representative in connection with investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, New Jersey Bureau of Securities and FINRA involving individual’s connection to a large Ponzi scheme.
Representation of a registered investment adviser to a family of mutual funds with respect to a “distribution in guise” investigation conducted by the SEC’s Asset Management Unit. Obtained a termination letter from the SEC.
- Representation of a “Robo” adviser with respect to an SEC investigation regarding potential misrepresentations and omissions to clients and investors. Obtained a termination letter from the SEC.
- Representation of registered investment advisers in connection with third-party subpoenas issued in a civil investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and an SEC investigation involving foreign currency trading.
- Representation of a registered investment adviser in connection with an investigation by the SEC involving the calculation of management fees and expenses.
- Representation of former general counsel of publicly traded real estate investment trust in SEC investigation regarding various disclosure issues.
- Representation of a registered investment adviser in connection with “Pay-to-Play” investigation being conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania involving payments to several PA Treasurers.
- Representation of an individual in insider trading investigation by the SEC and DOJ involving several layers of tipping. Obtained a declination letter from DOJ.
- Representation of a former trader charged in a market manipulation action filed by the CFTC.
- Representation of an individual in connection with a CFTC investigation focused on foreign currency trading in a pooled investment vehicle.
- Represented an insurance agent in connection with investigations by FINRA, the SEC and the New Jersey Bureau of Securities in relating to the clients’ recommendation to his clients to purchase certain unregistered securities issued by a company that ended up being a Ponzi scheme.
- Represented a financial adviser in connection with a FINRA investigation focused on certain potential conflicts of interest relating to the financial adviser’s recommendations to purchase certain exempt securities.
- Represented a financial adviser in connection with a FINRA investigation focus on the financial adviser’s alleged failure to report a felony conviction. After the investigation, FINRA did not take any action against the financial adviser.
- Representation of former CFO of a public company in connection with an SEC investigation focused on revenue recognition related to sales of software, hardware, and professional services.
- Representation of a public company in an SEC investigation focused on accounting for, and disclosure of, certain intercompany accounts receivable. Obtained a termination letter from the SEC.
- Representation of a former CEO of a microcap public company in connection with SEC and DOJ investigations regarding the manipulation of the company’s stock as well as misleading and false statements in public filings.
- Representation of a former CEO of a public company in connection with an SEC investigation involving potential misrepresentations and omissions in public filings, press releases and earnings calls.
- Representation of a bank officer in connection with an SEC investigation involving its accounting and internal controls relating to loan loss reserves for commercial loans, its public disclosures regarding loan loss reserves.
- Representation of a former CEO of a public issuer domiciled in Greece in market manipulation actions charged by the SEC and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Representation of securities lawyer specializing in providing services to microcap companies in connection with investigations by the SEC and DOJ. DOJ did not take any action.
- Representation of a Nevada-based trust company being investigated by the SEC in connection with certain private offerings of securities.
- Representation of a third-party service provider to hedge funds and private equity funds in connection with an SEC investigation regarding a registered investment adviser’s disclosure of fees. Resulted in no action being taken against the service provider.
- Representation of a commercial lender in connection with an SEC investigation regarding the offer and sale of promissory notes and related disclosures regarding the use of sales proceeds.
Representation of a sponsor of an EB-5 Visa program in connection with an SEC investigation focused on disclosures to investors and potential investors. Obtained a termination letter from the SEC.
- Conducted, on behalf of a pharmaceutical company, an internal investigation involving potential unlawful insider trading by a senior executive as well as potential whistleblower and retaliation claims.
- Conducted, on behalf of a pharmaceutical company, an internal investigation involving allegations of wrongful termination based on certain conflicts of interest.
- Representation of a major public university in an ongoing internal investigation involving allegations of sexual misconduct by a professor.
- Counsel registered investment advisers in connection with SEC regulatory examinations regarding appropriate strategies to avoid significant deficiencies and enforcement referrals.
- Counsel clients in assessing and revising policies, procedures, processes, and controls in connection with the complex and often overlapping regulatory requirements under which registered investment advisers and broker-dealers operate.
- Counsel clients with respect to FCPA compliance, including policies and procedures. Advise boards of directors of registered investment companies with regard to SEC issues.
- Counsel insurance companies in connection with responding to NYDFS Section 308 investigative notices seeking to confirm compliance with OFAC sanction rules.
- Led an investigation that resulted in the SEC charging the State of New Jersey with securities fraud based upon misrepresentations and omissions in the State’s pension funding obligations for its two largest pension funds in connection with billions of dollars on municipal bond offerings.
- Led an investigation involving undisclosed markups and markdowns on an international broker- dealers retail trading desk which resulted in civil and criminal charges being filed against three traders.
Investment Advisers and Broker-Dealers
CFTC and NFA Investigations
FINRA Enforcement Investigations
Public Companies and their Officers, Directors and Employees
Compliance and Consulting Representations
Engagements while at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- New Jersey
- New York
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
- Staff Member, American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A., 1986
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2020-present
- Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Partner, 2013-2020
- U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission
- Assistant Director, 2010-2013
- Branch Chief, 2007-2010
- Senior Counsel/Staff Attorney, 2004-2007
- Dechert LLP
- Associate, 2001-2004
- Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Associate, 2000-2001
- Morvillo Abramowitz Grand Jason & Silberberg PC
- Associate, 1999-2000
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Raymond J. Dearie, 1998-1999
- Prudential Securities
- Associate Vice President, 1993-1995
- Assistant Vice President, Assistant to Regional Manager, 1991-1993
- Operations Manager, 1989-1991
- Internal Auditor, 1986-1989
- Irish American Business Chamber & Network
- Membership Committee
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Sponsorship Committee
Honors and Awards
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2021 and 2022
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2017-2021
Philadelphia Business Journal Best of the Bar Award, 2018
National Law Review Go-To Thought Leader, December 2019
Top Irish Legal 100, October 2019
Civic and Charitable Activities
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation
- Council of Counsels
- Co-author, "SEC Continues to Educate Investors About SPAC Enforcement Risks," Duane Morris Alert, April 23, 2021
- Quoted, "Ex-LPL Rep Who Touted Fake Taylor Swift Charity Hit with Felony Charges," Financial Planning, April 20, 2022
- Quoted, "Charles Schwab Is Owed $968k under Financial Advisor's Fraud Sentence," Financial Planning, March 31, 2022
- Quoted, "FCPA's High Costs May Cause Tightening In D&O Market," Law360, June 4, 2021
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in Civil and Criminal Enforcement of Digital Currency and Related Crypto Issues," Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Seminar, November 17, 2022