James Greenberg concentrates his practice in the areas of general commercial litigation, real estate, construction and healthcare. He has more than 40 years' experience in representing clients in complex business matters from both the transactional side and in litigation. Mr. Greenberg is certified by the N.J. Supreme Court as a civil trial attorney and is listed on the roster of state-approved mediators.
Mr. Greenberg is a 1964 cum laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a graduate of Princeton University.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Commercial Litigation
- Represented osteopaths in a class action alleging that the American Osteopathic Association's conditioning of board certification on the purchase of membership in the Association constituted unlawful tying in violation of antitrust laws. The class action was resolved with an injunction against the AOA preventing their illegal tie, which was found to violate the Sherman Antitrust Act, and future benefits for approximately 100,000 Osteopathic Physicians with a value of around $84 Million.
- Obtained dismissal after successfully opposing the certification of a proposed consumer class action, which accused Kennedy Health System and its document processor of illegally overcharging patients millions of dollars for access to medical records.
- Represented a single purpose LLC in the sale of a contaminated 30-acre former General Dynamics site in Woodbridge, NJ to Atlantic Realty Development Corp., which will build a 500-unit, mixed use transit village-style development and arts center called Avenel Arts Village.
- Represented Hill International Inc., a global leader in managing construction risk, in a $165 million debt refinancing transaction.
- Merrill Lynch Credit Corp. v. John DeLorean - Lead trial and bankruptcy counsel. Obtained on behalf of Merrill Lynch Credit Corp. a full debt payoff in an $8 million foreclosure action and Chapter XI against a Bedminster, New Jersey property, which is now Trump National Golf Club.
- Henderson v. CCMUA (N.J. Supreme Court, 176 N.J. 554) - Lead trial and appellate counsel representing a class action plaintiff and established new law determining that the practice of compounding interest on overdue MUA bills was improper and illegal, thereby saving citizens of the State of New Jersey substantial sums.
- For twenty years represented United Jersey Bank in all its collections and workout transactions and litigation in matters in all southern New Jersey counties. Acted as officer and director of a subsidiary company, was periodically appointed arbitrator, and continued in these matters after the company became Summit Bancorp and until they were acquired by another bank.
- Represented Jefferson Bank in both transactional and litigation matters in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey until the bank was acquired by another bank.
- Represented Trico Mortgage Company, Inc. in their business of making second mortgage loans by drafting loan closing documents and handling problem loans and workouts.
- Chen v. Greenway Village Apartments - Obtained a reversal of a trial court decision where the appellate court held that the New Jersey Security Deposit Statute (N.J.S.A. 46:8-21) would not retroactively apply to a purchase of an apartment complex prior to the passage of the Statute.
- Represented a client in a two-stage transaction to acquire ownership of a senior housing complex by negotiating with the bank to acquire $10 million in troubled loans at a substantial discount, while also negotiating and settling with the borrowers by obtaining title to the property in exchange for releasing them from liability for the deficiency.
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1964
- Princeton University, B.S.E., 1961
- District IV Fee Arbitration Committee, New Jersey Supreme Court
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2009-2011
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Foreclosure Committee, Founder and Chair
- Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Member of the Board of Consultors
- Member of the Senior Lawyers Committee
- Member of the Business and Litigation Committee
- Member of the Equity Jurisprudence Committee
- Camden County Bar Association
- Chair of Senior Attorneys Committee
- Board of Trustees
- Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia County Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
- National Panel of Arbitrators
- Princeton Alumni Council
- Assistant County Prosecutor, County of Camden, 1969-1971
- Township of Cherry Hill, N.J.
- Municipal Judge, 1973-1981
- Municipal Prosecutor, 1971-1973
- Camden County Municipal Court Judges Association
- President, 1980
- N.J. Supreme Court
- Committee on District Courts, 1980-1983
- Committee on Municipal Courts, 1977-1979
Honors and Awards
Martindale-Hubbell® Client Champion Gold Award, 2017-2021
Awarded "Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards," Judicial Edition, 2018-2020
Named one of America's Most Honored Professionals by The American Registry, 2018-2022
Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2005-2014, 2019
- Listed as a 2015 Philadelphia's Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2015 Edition
- Listed as a 2014 Philadelphia's Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014 Edition
- Listed as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Real Estate, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 Edition
- Listed as a Top Rated Lawyer in Banking & Finance Law, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 Edition
- Listed as one of Philadelphia's Top Rated Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, 2012 Edition
- Listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2014
Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009-2011
- Camden County Office of the Prosecutor
- selected for "commendable conduct" during the calendar year 2005
- New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons
- Special Service Award in recognition of outstanding service for 20 years as NJAOPS General Counsel
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
No aspect of these rankings has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Student Mentor, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- Board of Directors of Gilda's Club, South Jersey, a charitable organization that assists people dealing with cancer
- Board of Directors, Chamber of Commerce—Southern New Jersey
- Board of Directors, Milton & Betty Katz Jewish Community Center, Margate, New Jersey
- Osteopathic Education Foundation
- Board of Trustees, 1980-1999; 2004-2012
- South Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Board of Directors, 1992-2004
- Allied Trades Foreclosure Committee
- New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons
- State Counsel, 1974-1994
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Guest Professor in Business Law, Burlington County College, 2012
A certified civil trial attorney is a designation granted by the New Jersey Supreme Court to attorneys who have demonstrated sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge and skill in civil trial practice. These attorneys have met standards set by the Board on Attorney Certification and approved by the Court.
The certification program helps the public find attorneys who have demonstrated proficiency in specific fields, such as civil trial law, criminal trial law, matrimonial law, workers’ compensation law and Municipal Court law, as well as encourages the maintenance and improvement of attorney competence in these areas.
An attorney is "Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney" if he/she meets the following requirements:
Be a member in good standing of the New Jersey Bar for at least five years;
- Completes ongoing continuing legal education related to civil litigation topics;
- Demonstrates substantial experience in litigated matters;
- Receives favorable evaluations from other attorneys and judges; and
- Passes a written examination covering various aspects of civil trial law.
As of March 2014, approximately 1,600 attorneys hold Board certification out of roughly 75,000 active lawyers in New Jersey.
For more information, please visit the New Jersey Courts website.