Joseph J. Machi practices in the area of corporate law with an emphasis in mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, and general corporate and regulatory matters. Mr. Machi represents and advises business owners, including start-ups, lenders, investment banks and private equity funds in such industries as cannabis, life sciences, post-secondary education, hospitality and leisure, manufacturing, financial services, technology, and entertainment. Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Machi worked as an auditor for Ernst & Young LLP.
Mr. Machi is a member of the San Diego Bowl Game Association RedShirt Committee. He is a cum laude graduate of the University of San Diego School of Law and a cum laude graduate of the University of Southern California .
- Represented the owners of a company providing contract staffing to the medical device, pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, in the $44 million sale of all of the ownership interest of the company to a PE backed strategic buyer.
- Represented sellers in their $5 million sale of their cloud-based solutions for global logistics and transportation management business.
- Represented seller in its $6.37 million sale of its impulse sealing machinery business.
- Represented a large international media organization in its $10 million acquisition of a significant minority stake in a leading Vietnamese digital media and creator network.
- Represented a lead generating start-up in its $1.1 million seed financing.
- Represented lessor in its $15 million leasing facility of food and beverage manufacturing equipment to an almond milk producer.
- Represented a contact lens company in its $2 million Series D preferred stock offering and $3.5 million Series E preferred stock offering.
- Represented a family investment entity in a series of investments in multiple businesses supporting the cannabis industry.
- Represented seller in its sale of two cosmetology schools in New York.
- Represented sellers in their $13 million sale of the ownership of a digital arts school.
- Represented sellers in their $5.5 million sale of the ownership of a trade school and real estate.
- Represented buyer in its purchase of two cosmetology schools in Texas.
- Represented Barer & Son Capital as lead investor in a $23 million Series A financing of NexImmune, Inc., a biotechnology company pursuing immunotherapy methods in the field of oncology.
- Represented POSC Holdings, LLC, an integrated oilfield services company and portfolio company of Argosy Private Equity, in its acquisition of Eagle Automation Limited, a leading oilfield automation company offering services complimentary to POSC Holdings, LLC's subsidiary, Panhandle Oilfield Services Company, Inc.
- Represented Aurigene Discovery Technologies Limited in its collaboration, license and option agreement with Curis, Inc. for immuno-oncology and selected precision oncology targets.
- Represented hotel owner in $75 million joint venture for a resort and convention center, including assisting with real estate, financing and joint venture negotiation, documentation and closing of real estate, and closing liquor and bulk sale escrows.
- Represented an operator of premier vacation home properties in a $10 million acquisition of a Missouri tourism center.
- Represented National Securities Corporation as joint underwriter, along with Merriman Capital, Inc. as joint lead underwriter, in the approximately $5.5 million public offering of 4,347,826 shares of common stock of Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp., a global leader in digital cinema.
- Represented SJR Group LLC, a digital marketing and strategy company, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a subsidiary of WPP plc, the world's largest communications services group.
- Represented seller in the $6.6 million sale of its circuit board manufacturing business.
- Represented sellers in their $16 million sale of the ownership of a bioimaging systems business.
- Represented lender in its $10 million credit facility to a renewable fuel company.
- Represented private equity firm in its $5.9 million purchase of preferred stock of a beverage manufacturer.
- Represented seller in its sale of a cosmetology school.
- Represented buyer in its purchase of two cosmetology schools in Tennessee.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- Comments Editor, San Diego Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- University of Southern California, B.S., Accounting and Business Administration, cum laude, 2006
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2011-present
- Certified Public Accountant - State of California (Inactive)