Marc A. Koonin practices in the area of employment and labor law, representing both private and public sector employers. Mr. Koonin’s practice includes defending suits alleging wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wage and hour claims, unfair labor practices defamation, fraud and various other labor and employment-related claims. He also defends labor arbitrations and a variety of labor and employment-related complaints brought before various state and federal administrative agencies.
Mr. Koonin also directs and conducts internal employment investigations regarding alleged misconduct, conducts employment law compliance audits, and prepares and reviews employment policies and forms. He advises clients on labor and employment-related matters, including preventing harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims; wage and hour law; employee leave; accommodating disabled employees; labor relations; union organizing; collective bargaining; avoiding and defending charges relating to unfair labor practices; responding to strikes and picketing; workplace privacy issues; independent contractor status; implementing reductions-in-force; protecting trade secrets; and disciplining and terminating employees. Mr. Koonin regularly advises employers on workplace safety issues, including obligations under Cal/OSHA and federal OSHA regulations, and has represented a wide variety of employers appealing citations before the Cal/OSHA Appeals Board and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Koonin served as an officer in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where he defended employment claims brought by federal civilian employees, and also was detailed as a Special Assistant U.S. attorney.
Mr. Koonin is a 1993 graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law and a 1990 graduate, with honors, of the University of California, Davis.
Areas of Practice
Employment and Labor Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of California, Davis, B.A., with honors, 1990
California Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section
California Hotel & Lodging Association
- Governmental and Legal Affairs Committee
Barristers Club of San Francisco
- Labor & Employment Section, Past Chair, March 2002-March 2003
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Navigating Leave Issues During COVID-19," The New Reality of Workplace Law and Practice in the COVID-19 Era, Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, October 29, 2020
Speaker, "New Employment and Immigration Laws and Developments for 2018," San Francisco, February 15, 2018