Maria Cáceres-Boneau practices in the area of labor and employment law. Ms. Cáceres-Boneau represents clients in cases involving discrimination, harassment retaliation, misclassification and wage and hour claim violations in federal and state court and arbitration as well as before administrative agencies. Her experience includes every phase of litigation from pre-suit demands through trial and appeal. She serves as primary contact for numerous clients seeking counseling advice on employment matters such as termination, retaliation, requests for accommodation, workplace violence prevention, pay equity practices, COVID-19 and changes in employment law. In addition, Ms. Cáceres-Boneau has extensive experience investigating internal complaints of sexual and other types of harassment and discrimination, including allegations made against executives. She also conducts manager and employee trainings.
Ms. Cáceres-Boneau is a graduate of Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. She also earned an M.S. from Hunter College and a B.A. from Yale University. She is fluent in Spanish.
Areas of Practice
Labor and Employment Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
- Hunter College, M.S.
- Yale University, B.A.
Honors and Awards
Listed in Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars, 2013-2019
Volunteer of the Quarter, Littler Mendelson P.C., Fourth Quarter 2018
Civic and Charitable Activities
Mentor, Y Tu Tambien
- Co-author, "New York City Council Amends Fair Chance Act to Further Protect Job Applicants and Employees," Duane Morris Alert, December 29, 2020
- Co-author, "Department of Labor's Temporary Rule Revises FFCRA Regulations in Response to Federal Court Decision," Duane Morris Alert, September 17, 2020
- Co-author, "U.S. Department of Labor Issues Guidance on Tracking Compensable Remote Work of Nonexempt Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act," Duane Morris Alert, August 27, 2020 (republished in Employee Benefit Plan Review, November/December 2020)
- Co-author, "Significant Changes to COVID-19 Leave Provisions After Court Vacates Some DOL Regulations Interpreting Paid Leave Under the FFCRA," Duane Morris Alert, August 7, 2020
- Co-author, "U.S. Department of Labor Releases New FMLA Optional-Use Forms and Requests Public Input to Facilitate Potential Changes to FMLA Regulations," Duane Morris Alert, August 3, 2020
Co-author, “Employee Bad Actors: Can Employers Recover?,” New York Law Journal, January 8, 2020
Interviewed and Quoted, “Stop Asking Job Applicants for Pay History, Experts Say,” Newsday, June 25, 2017
Interviewed and Quoted, “What Did I Make at My Last Job? None of Your Business,” CNN Money, April 25, 2017
Co-author, “New York City Set to Ban Inquiries About Salary History,” Littler ASAP, April 14, 2017
Co-author, “New York City Agencies are Prohibited From Making Pay History Inquiries—At Least for Now,” Littler ASAP, November 22, 2016
Co-author, “New York City to Pass Protections for Freelance Workers,” Littler ASAP, November 7, 2016
Contributing Editor, Chapter 30, “RICO and Labor Law,” The Developing Labor Law (2013 Supplement), Bloomberg BNA, 2013
Contributing Editor, Chapter 30, “RICO and Labor Law,” The Developing Labor Law (Sixth Edition), Bloomberg BNA, 2012
Contributing Researcher, “International E-Discovery: A Clash of Cultures and Law,” New York Law Journal, July 12, 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "New York Leave Laws Employers Must Follow in 2021 and Beyond?" Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, March 23, 2021
- Speaker, "Pay Equity in 2021: Navigating an Increasingly Complex Legal Landscape and Minimizing Risk of Pay Gap Liability," Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, January 21, 2021
- Speaker, "Who, What, And Where Of Virtual Lawyering: Insights – How To Excel," New York State Bar Association, Webinar, December 3, 2020
- Speaker, "Dear Helga - You're Never Going to Believe What My Employee Did This Time..." Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, November 17, 2020
- Speaker, "State Law Updates, Including COVID-19 Workplace Laws and Regulations," The New Reality of Workplace Law and Practice in the COVID-19 Era, Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, November 12, 2020
- Speaker, "Navigating Leave Issues During COVID-19," The New Reality of Workplace Law and Practice in the COVID-19 Era, Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, October 29, 2020
“Reunión de Trabajo con Empresas del Sector Restaurantero ante la Emergencia del COVID-19,” U.S. - Mexico Chamber of Commerce, New York City, April 7, 2020
“Content and Cocktails: Diversity, Inclusion and Elimination of Bias, Littler Mendelson, New York City, November 7, 2019
“Diversity, Inclusion, and Elimination of Implicit Bias in the Workplace,” New York In-House Counsel Meetup, New York City, May 7, 2019
“Latino Women in U.S. and Cross-Border Business and Initiatives,” U.S. - Mexico Chamber of Commerce, New York City, October 11, 2018