Michael C. Ferri concentrates his practices in the area of transactional construction law. Mr. Ferri assists developers and lenders in major metropolitan areas by preparing and negotiating architectural, engineering and design consultant agreements, construction management and design-build agreements, trade contracts/subcontracts and other construction agreements. Michael’s experience includes drafting and tailoring form construction contracts for use by institutional developers, property-owners, national retailers and publicly traded companies. Michael frequently drafts and negotiates open-book and guaranteed maximum price agreements, is experienced in working with AIA, DBIA and FIDIC form documents, and regularly performs risk-assessments of construction agreements from varying perspectives, including lenders and trade contractors. Michael’s practice also includes representing both developers and property owners in drafting, negotiating, and enforcing adjacent property access and licensing agreements, and resolving disputes and/or property damage claims associated with the same.
Michael is a 2016 graduate of St. John’s University School of Law, where he was a member of St. John’s Law Review.
Prior to practicing law Michael practiced structural engineering as a professional engineer while employed by WSP (formerly Parsons Brinckerhoff). During his nine years with WSP, Michael performed structural design and construction oversight services for public and private clients on various iconic bridges and infrastructure in and around New York City. Michael studied engineering at Manhattan College School of Engineering, where he earned both his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree.
At Duane Morris, Mr. Ferri provides assistance pro bono to veterans and their families with discharge upgrades through Duane Morris' alliance with the Urban Justice Center Veteran’s Advocacy Project.
Areas of Practice
- Represented a developer in drafting and negotiating design and construction agreements for its downtown Los Angeles redevelopment project, which includes the construction of approximately 400 residential units, a 300-unit hotel, 176,000 square feet of retail space and 12,000 square feet of residential space; transactional advice included preparing and negotiating trade agreements in excess of $250 million.
- Represented a trust entity in its efforts to remediate a federal superfund site in an urban setting; transactional advice included drafting and negotiating a multi-phase design-build construction agreement for implementation of EPA-approved dredge and cap activities, and negotiating associated adjacent property access agreements.
- Represented a healthcare provider in drafting and managing a suite of tailored master design and construction agreements for use by its facility and project management staff.
- Represented a developer in drafting and negotiating design and consultant agreements associated with its transformation of a landmark 50-story tower in downtown New York City into luxury condominiums.
- Represented a developer in drafting and negotiating architectural, engineering, and other consultant agreements for the design of a +1,500-foot super-tower in New York City.
- Represented an international clothing retailer in drafting a form multi-project master construction agreement for timely construction of retail spaces.
- Represented a general contractor in preparing a form subcontract agreement for use in New York metro area consistent with the general contractor’s practices.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., 2016
- Manhattan College, M.S., 2009; B.S., 2005
- New York
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2016-present
WSP, Structural Engineer, 2007-2016
- New York Professional Engineer, 2011
- New York City Bar Association
- Columbian Lawyers Association, Inc.
- American Society of Civil Engineers, New York Metropolitan Section
Honors and Awards
- Named to Best Lawyers "Ones to Watch," 2021