Owen Newman is an experienced energy lawyer with over a decade of diverse experience as a strategic partner and legal counsel to clients in power generation, oil and gas and other critical infrastructure and construction fields. Owners and contractors value Owen’s previous industry experience as a project manager and regional director for a global engineering, procurement, construction and consulting contractor, and the perspective those experiences provide as part of a comprehensive approach to collaborating with project teams to provide practical life-of-the-project commercial, claims and risk management support. Owen also specializes in formal dispute resolution and in particular, international arbitration. He is experienced in ICC, LCIA, SIAC, UNCITRAL, SCC and AAA arbitrations as well as ad hoc arbitrations in India and Saudi Arabia.
Owen is a 2003 graduate of the University of Kansas School of Law and a graduate of Luther College.
Areas of Practice
- Energy and Construction Law
- Vietnam: Provided day-to-day commercial and legal support for EPC contractor’s project team on a 600MW coal-fired power plant in Vietnam. Led the development of claims for extensions of time and additional costs exceeding $60 million.
- India: Supported EPC contractor’s project team with day-to-day commercial and risk management issues, and led development of claims for extension of time and additional costs, on LNG regasification terminal and processing facility in India.
- India: Defending an EPC Contractor in ad-hoc Indian Arbitration from schedule and cost claims advanced by a Consortium partner with respect to an LNG regasification terminal and processing facility in India.
- Indonesia: Developed claims for extension of time on behalf of EPC contractor on a 600MW coal-fired power plant located in Indonesia.
- Poland: Supporting US based manufacturer with drafting and negotiating FIDIC-related contracts associated with construction of an overseas manufacturing facility in Poland.
- Egypt: Acted on behalf of consulting engineer in UNCITRAL arbitration to recover unpaid invoices for design and engineering works associated with water treatment facilities in Egypt.
- Philippines: Represented Owner with respect to EPC contractor’s claims for extension of time and additional costs arising out of construction of a coal-fired power plant in the Philippines. Assisted the Owner in responding to the claims and reaching a mutually beneficial settlement that contributed to a successful and timely Project delivery.
- LCIA and SIAC (Singapore International Arbitration Centre): Acted on behalf of EPC Contrator in Arbitrations venued before the LCIA and SIAC for claims arising out of the construction of combined cycle power plant in Singapore. Primary responsibilities included managing document review and organization, discovery process, witness interviews and drafting witness statements.
- ICC Arbitration venued in London, UK: Acted on behalf of Design Engineer to recover engineering services provided pursuant to limited notice to proceed. Second chaired final hearing where client obtained judgment awarding 95% of claimed amounts, including legal fees and arbitration costs.
- Saudi Arabia: Acted on behalf of EPC Contractor to recover schedule and productivity losses incurred during performance of works associated with debottlenecking of natural gas processing facility in Saudi Arabia. Case resolved with settlement after more than four years of Arbitral proceedings.
- SCC (Stockholm Chamber of Commerce): Acted on behalf of Design Engineer in filing of SCC claims for unpaid amounts related to design and engineering work performed on an oil refinery in the Russian Federation. Obtained settlement following claim filing.
- Kansas City, KS. State Court: Acted on behalf of Design Engineer in litigation arising out of preliminary design engineering related to ethanol and biodiesel facilities.
- Lake Charles, LA: Acted on behalf of EPC Contractor in disputes with subcontractor arising out of the design and construction of a 50,000 bbl sphere.
- AAA Arbitration venued in Chicago, Il.: Acted on behalf of General Contractor in Arbitration related to faulty installation of concrete slab and terrazzo flooring. First chaired final hearing.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Luther College, B.A., 1995
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2017-present
- Black & Veatch
- Associate Vice President and Commercial Director, 2015-2016
- Project Manager, Power Island, Kusile Power Station, South Africa, 2013-2015
- Director and Counsel, Risk Management Energy Service, 2011-2013
- Warden Grier LLP
- Partner, 2010-2011
- Associate, 2004-2010