Richard L. Cohen concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, securities, venture capital/emerging companies, private equity, general corporate law and business counseling. His client base includes a broad range of business entities, both public and private, including biotechnology and technology companies, telecommunications companies, energy companies, manufacturing companies, insurance companies and venture capital firms. He is a 1995 graduate of New York University School of Law and a graduate of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the firm's governing Partners Board.
- Represented Polder Housewares and its affiliates in the sale of substantially all of their assets to a buyer which is majority owned by entities affiliated with Topspin Partners, a suburban New York based private equity fund.
- Represented the shareholders of Ideal Protein, a Quebec-based corporation with significant U.S. operations, in the sale of a majority interest to funds advised by Apax Partners LLP, a global private equity firm.
- Represented the owners of a construction management and consulting company, in the sale of all of the membership interests to a subsidiary of a NYSE listed global provider of architecture, design, engineering, and construction services.
- Represented Vonage Holdings Corp. in its acquisition of gUnify, Inc., a cloud-based technology company whose middleware solution integrates the Company's cloud communications platform with widely used SaaS business applications, including Google for Work, Zendesk, Salesforce's Sales Cloud, Clio, and other CRM solutions.
- Represented a UK company in connection with the divestiture of its Israeli navigation-software subsidiary to a major U.S. information technology company for a reported $300 million.
- Represented Sunoco Inc. in the sale of its polypropylene business, Sunoco Chemicals Inc., to Braskem SA for $350 million.
- Represented stockholders of Topaz Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its sale to Sanofi-Pasteur, the vaccines unit of French pharmaceutical company Sanofi-Aventis, in advance of the FDA's approval of the Pennsylvania biopharmaceutical company's new drug application for Sklice lotion, an ivermectin-based topical treatment.
- Represented a New York Stock Exchange-listed manufacturing company in its $330 million merger with an affiliate of a private investment partnership with over $600 million in committed equity.
- Represented Shelbourne Capital LLC in its new joint venture with Red Lion Hotels Corporation, a Spokane, Washington-based public company, involving the acquisition, equity and debt financing, and a capital improvement program for twelve hotels located in Washington, California, Oregon, Idaho, and Utah.
- Counsel to four entities in the insurance industry in connection with their separate sales to a New York Stock Exchange publicly traded company.
- Counsel to a New York Stock Exchange-listed bank holding company in transactions in which other public companies assumed deposit liabilities totaling approximately $3.07 billion and purchased loan portfolios and other assets totaling approximately $1.7 billion.
- Counsel to an affiliate of a NASDAQ-listed insurance company in its acquisition of an Iowa mutual insurance company and its subsequent demutualization.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in its sale of a chemical plant.
- Counsel to a New York Stock Exchange-listed manufacturer in its acquisition of an Italian manufacturer of motors.
- Counsel to a NASDAQ-listed insurance company in a $100 million secondary public offering of stock by a significant shareholder.
- Counsel to a leading worldwide manufacturer and distributor of specialty chemical and foam packaging products for the foodservice, insulation and packaging industries in its $60 million, $100 million and $135 million debt offerings.
- Counsel to a New York-based financial consultant registered as a broker-dealer in a $137.5 million rights offering.
- Represented REIT in $90 million 144A convertible senior note offering.
- Represented Erie Indemnity Company, a NASDAQ-listed company, in a $75 million tender offer for all publicly owned shares of Erie Family Life Insurance Company.
- Counsel to a NASDAQ-listed public company in an attempted spin-off initial public offering and to a distributor of specialty chemical and foam packaging products, distributor of oncology diagnostics products, for-profit university and professional employer organization in attempted initial public offerings.
- Represented a manufacturer of disposable foodservice and specialty chemical products in a $70 million 144A high yield senior secured floating rate note offering and a private placement of $25 million series A preferred stock and warrants.
- Counsel to a publicly held real estate investment trust as issuer in its $50 million offering of trust preferred securities.
- Counsel to numerous emerging businesses, including software companies, mobile application developers, internet companies, service providers, medical device and biotechnology companies, healthcare technology companies and consumer product companies in their respective formation and other ongoing corporate matters, including financings, corporate structure and governance, negotiation of contracts and exit strategies.
- Counsel to venture capital firms in investments in technology and biotechnology companies.
Emerging Business/Venture Capital
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1992
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2004-present
- Associate, 1995-2003
- Entrepreneur's Forum
- Past President and Director
- Member of IT Investment Advisory Committee for Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- The Arc Alliance
- Past President and Current Director
- MARC Advocacy Services
- Past Director
- Contributor, Duane Morris Capital Markets Blog
- Co-author, "SEC Proposals for Compensation Committees and Compensation Advisers," Duane Morris Alert, April 25, 2011
- "Buyer's Remorse: Reverse Breakup Fees Can Get Potential Buyers Off the Hook, But at What Cost?" Mergers & Acquisitions Supplement to The Legal Intelligencer, March 3, 2008
- "Environmental Lessons for the Development of a Market-Based Community Reinvestment Act System," NYU Environmental Law Journal, 1995.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Regular presenter to the Wharton Venture Initiation Program in connection with legal issues impacting early stage companies.
- Moderator, "Supporting Innovation Through Effective Collaboration Between Corporations and Startups," PACT Capital Conference, November 2, 2017
- Moderator, "Valuation Creation via Disruption," IMPACT Capital Conference, November 30, 2016
- Panelist, "The Term Sheet Cheat Sheet," DreamIt Webinar, November 29, 2016
- Panelist, "Confessions of a VC Lawyer," DreamIt Webinar, May 16, 2016
- Moderator, "Emerging Labor & Employment Issues for Private Equity Acquirers," ACG Intergrowth Conference, April 14, 2015
- Panelist, "Maximizing and Monetizing the Value of Your Business," Entrepreneurs Forum of Greater Philadelphia, October 22, 2014
- Panelist, "What Keeps Entrepreneurs Up at Night: Legal Aspects of Seed Financings & Other Funding Options," Philly Tech Week, April 8, 2014
- Panelist, "Crowdfunding and Rule 506(c): Brave New Capital-Raising World," Pennsylvania Business Brokers Association, April 2, 2014
- Moderator, "B2B Models of Entrepreneurship," Wharton Entrepreneurship Conference, February 17, 2012