Robert D. Eassa has more than 30 years of experience as a civil trial attorney, litigating labor and employment matters of all types, including wage and hour class actions, wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, harassment and other employment-related actions.
Mr. Eassa also has established a practice in the areas of commercial litigation, maritime law and toxic torts, and serves as national, regional and local counsel for clients in a variety of matters in these areas of law. His clients include Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies.
Mr. Eassa is a 1982 graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and a 1978 (M.B.A.) and 1976 graduate of San Francisco State University.
Areas of Practice
Employment and Labor Law
- Sappington v. Henkel Corporation, age discrimination jury trial — Settled.
- Vaynberg v. Chevron Corporation, wage and hour jury trial — Defense verdict.
- Cambra v. Chevron International Exploration & Production Company, wrongful termination, slander, invasion of privacy jury trial — Defense verdict.
- McPike v. Ablestik Laboratories, race discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation jury trial — Defense verdict (also successfully obtained attorneys’ fees awarded against plaintiff employee).
- AT Systems v. Longs Drug Stores California, breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing jury trial — Defense verdict (also, attorneys’ fees awarded to client after trial).
- ATM Capitol, Inc. v. Longs Drugs California, breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, jury trial — Defense verdict (also, attorneys’ fees awarded to client after trial).
- Sadatti v. Longs Drugs Stores California, disability discrimination, failure to reasonably accommodate and to engage in interactive process, jury trial — Settled.
- Jones v. Chevron U.S.A., disability discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination.
- Gallegos v. FCE Benefit Administrators Inc., gender/sexual orientation discrimination, wrongful termination.
- Chervenack v. Phelps Dodge Industries, Toxic tort.
- Palacio v. Longs Drug Stores California, Inc., wrongful termination, discrimination, false imprisonment (Nine plaintiffs involved) — Defense verdict.
- Foster City Community Development Agency v. JMA Investments, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) action.
- FCE Benefit Administrators, Inc. v. George Washington University, Unfair Business Practices Act.
- Harris v. National Semiconductor, complex/multi-plaintiff chemical litigation.
- In Re IBM Litigation, complex/multi-plaintiff chemical litigation.
- Said v. Mission Linen Supply Company, racial discrimination.
- Chavez v. St. Matthews Episcopal Church, racial discrimination.
- Represented Chevron Stations, Inc., a multinational energy corporation and subsidiary of Chevron U.S.A., Inc, in a wage and hour class action case in San Diego, California. The class claim was liquidated in the agreed amount of $17 million. The decision granted Chevron’s motion and denied plaintiff’s motion.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1982
- San Francisco State University, M.B.A., 1978
- San Francisco State University, B.A., 1976
Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2018-present
- Partner, 2012-2017
Brown Eassa & McLeod LLP
- Partner, 1999-2012
Hardin Cook Loper Engle and Bergez
- Associate/Partner, 1984-1999
American Bar Association
San Francisco Bar Association
Los Angeles Bar Association
National Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California
International Association of Defense Counsel
Honors and Awards
Listed in Northern California Super Lawyers, 2004-2018
Selected Speaking Engagements
Interviewed, "After ‘Predator’ controversy, We Look at the Intersection of Workplace Safety and Equal Opportunity," KPCC AirTalk, September 10, 2018