Ute Mueller focuses her practice on domestic UK and international transaction work, with special attention to the Anglo-German market and the natural resources and hospitality sectors. She advises businesses and entrepreneurs on complex domestic and cross-border investment structures, mergers, acquisitions, MBOs, MBIs and joint ventures. Ms. Mueller also guides her clients on a day-to-day basis on multiple commercial agreements, specifically in the hard commodities sector.
In 2014-2019, Chambers UK (Corporate/M&A – Midmarket) included Ms. Mueller in its listing, and Chambers Global in 2010-2019. In particular, Chambers Global notes that she is “precise, reliable and quick.” In Chambers UK, clients praised Ms. Mueller’s “hands-on and pragmatic advice” and her ability to “never lose sight of commerciality in negotiations, and stay very calm under pressure." Chambers UK also commented, “As a dual-qualified UK and German practitioner she excels in Anglo-German deals, particularly those occurring in the hospitality and natural resources sectors.” Legal 500 M&A (Smaller Deals) cites that Ms. Mueller is “Extremely sharp,” “Efficient and Service-Oriented,” “Highly-Rated,” and an “Effective Communicator.”
She is qualified as an English solicitor, as well as a German Rechtsanwaeltin and a fluent German and French speaker. Ms Mueller earned her law degree at Augsburg University, Germany.
Areas of Practice
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Cross-Border Matters
- Corporate Law
- Private Equity
- Energy and Natural Resources
- Represented growth capital investor Lone Pine Capital in its $292 million secondary fundraising for the UK-based cross-border money transfer service TransferWise Ltd., reaching a $3.5 billion market cap and making TransferWise Europe’s most valuable FinTech start-up.
- Representing a specialist international hedge fund in relation to various mine finance transactions in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, each in excess of USD 100m.
- Advising a UK headquartered international group in the professional services sector in connection with a GBP 45m investment by a US private equity house and related senior bank finance.
- Advising a leading German metals group in connection with the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a UK specialist alloys producer.
- Representing an international cornerstone investor in the commodities sector in connection with its USD 80m equity investment in a European mining group.
- Advising an international fund investor in relation to a subscription for loan notes issued by a Kazakh copper producer.
- Advising the board of directors of an international holding company in connection with the contemplated sale of a UK 5 star hotel portfolio.
- Acting for the sellers in relation to the contemplated sale of a London 4-star hotel.
- Advising a UK listed metals group in connection with the sale of its biofuels business to a German acquirer.
- Acting for an international metals group in connection with the sale of its metals trading business to a UK listed buyer.
- Acting for an Australian listed mining group in connection with the management buy-out of its European metal smelter subsidiaries.
- Advising an international family office in relation to the proposed acquisition of an international share portfolio by one of the principals.
- Advising several London metal trading houses in relation to their general terms and conditions as well as individual long-term as well as spot purchase and sale agreements.
- England and Wales
- Berlin, Germany
- Berlin Bar Association
- British-German Jurists Association
- Institute of Directors
Honors and Awards
Listed in Chambers UK (M&A, Midmarket), 2014-2019
Listed in Chambers Global, 2010-2019
- Listed in the Legal 500, 2010-2017
- Duane Morris
- Partner, 2015-present
- Boodle Hatfield LLP
- Partner, 2011-2015
- Dawsons LLP
- Partner, 2004-2011
- Associate, 2001-2004
- Co-author, "Data Protection and the M&A Deal: Ask Questions to Avoid Errors," Middle Market Growth, September/October 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
Panelist, "The Requirements of Data Mapping for U.S. Businesses," The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Webinar Series, December 19, 2017 (video replay)