Ute Mueller focuses her practice on domestic UK and international transaction work, with special attention to the Anglo-German market and the natural resources and hospitality sectors. She advises businesses and entrepreneurs on complex domestic and cross-border investment structures, mergers, acquisitions, MBOs, MBIs and joint ventures. Ms. Mueller also guides her clients on a day-to-day basis on multiple commercial agreements, specifically in the hard commodities sector.
In 2014-2019, Chambers UK (Corporate/M&A – Midmarket) included Ms. Mueller in its listing, and Chambers Global in 2010-2019. In particular, Chambers Global notes that she is “precise, reliable and quick.” In Chambers UK, clients praised Ms. Mueller’s “hands-on and pragmatic advice” and her ability to “never lose sight of commerciality in negotiations, and stay very calm under pressure." Chambers UK also commented, “As a dual-qualified UK and German practitioner she excels in Anglo-German deals, particularly those occurring in the hospitality and natural resources sectors.” Legal 500 M&A (Smaller Deals) cites that Ms. Mueller is “Extremely sharp,” “Efficient and Service-Oriented,” “Highly-Rated,” and an “Effective Communicator.”
She is qualified as an English solicitor, as well as a German Rechtsanwaeltin and a fluent German and French speaker. Ms Mueller earned her law degree at Augsburg University, Germany.
Areas of Practice
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Cross-Border Matters
- Corporate Law
- Private Equity
- Energy and Natural Resources
- Represented SEACOR Holdings Inc. (NYSE: CKH), a marine services public company, in connection with its subsidiary’s acquisition of two companies based in London and two companies based in Singapore, all of which are engaged in vessel response, crisis communication, and public relations services for the global maritime industry.
- Represented growth capital investor Lone Pine Capital in its $292 million secondary fundraising for the UK-based cross-border money transfer service TransferWise Ltd., reaching a $3.5 billion market cap and making TransferWise Europe’s most valuable FinTech start-up.
- Representing a specialist international hedge fund in relation to various mine finance transactions in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, each in excess of USD 100m.
- Advising a UK headquartered international group in the professional services sector in connection with a GBP 45m investment by a US private equity house and related senior bank finance.
- Advising a leading German metals group in connection with the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a UK specialist alloys producer.
- Representing an international cornerstone investor in the commodities sector in connection with its USD 80m equity investment in a European mining group.
- Advising an international fund investor in relation to a subscription for loan notes issued by a Kazakh copper producer.
- Advising the board of directors of an international holding company in connection with the contemplated sale of a UK 5 star hotel portfolio.
- Acting for the sellers in relation to the contemplated sale of a London 4-star hotel.
- Advising a UK listed metals group in connection with the sale of its biofuels business to a German acquirer.
- Acting for an international metals group in connection with the sale of its metals trading business to a UK listed buyer.
- Acting for an Australian listed mining group in connection with the management buy-out of its European metal smelter subsidiaries.
- Advising an international family office in relation to the proposed acquisition of an international share portfolio by one of the principals.
- Advising several London metal trading houses in relation to their general terms and conditions as well as individual long-term as well as spot purchase and sale agreements.
- England and Wales
- Berlin, Germany
- Berlin Bar Association
- British-German Jurists Association
- Institute of Directors
Honors and Awards
Listed in Chambers UK (M&A, Midmarket), 2014-2020
Listed in Chambers Global, 2010-2020
- Listed in the Legal 500, 2010-2017
- Duane Morris
- Partner, 2015-present
- Boodle Hatfield LLP
- Partner, 2011-2015
- Dawsons LLP
- Partner, 2004-2011
- Associate, 2001-2004
- Author, "The New World of Foreign Direct Investment in Europe During the COVID-19 Era," Duane Morris Alert, May 29, 2020
- Co-author, "Data Protection and the M&A Deal: Ask Questions to Avoid Errors," Middle Market Growth, September/October 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
Panelist, "The Requirements of Data Mapping for U.S. Businesses," The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Webinar Series, December 19, 2017 (video replay)