Marc J. Scheiner practices in the area of employment law, counseling clients on a variety of employment issues. He represents clients in employment litigation matters and trains human resources professionals, in-house counsel and supervisors on a range of workplace topics. Mr. Scheiner works with clients to ensure compliance with Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act and ADAAA, Family and Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Equal Pay Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and various state and local laws. He also assists clients in reviewing and drafting employment policies, handbooks, employment agreements, noncompete agreements and severance agreements.
Mr. Scheiner has represented clients in federal and state courts as well as before federal, state and local administrative agencies in matters involving charges and complaints of age, sex, race, national origin, sexual orientation, pregnancy and religious-based discrimination and harassment; retaliation; background checks; drug testing; and unemployment insurance issues. He has also represented indigent clients in Social Security disability appeals before the U.S. Social Security Administration and in hearings before the U.S. Department of Labor.
Mr. Scheiner has volunteered or worked on pro bono matters for Canine Partners for Life, the Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association, the Human Rights Campaign, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and the Mazzoni Center. Mr. Scheiner is also active as a mentor and advisor through his service on the board of directors of the Alumni Corporation of the University of Rochester chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon.
Mr. Scheiner has also been cited by The National Law Journal, Employment Law360 and the Philadelphia Business Journal on employment topics.
Mr. Scheiner is a 2003 graduate of Cornell Law School, where he was note editor of the Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy and a Legal Methods Honors Fellow, and a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Rochester.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 2003
- Note Editor, Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy
- Legal Methods Honors Fellow
- University of Rochester, B.A., magna cum laude, 2000
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Sigma Phi Epsilon, University of Rochester Chapter
- Alumni Corporation Board of Directors
- Co-author, "Charting the Rise of Retaliation Claims: EEOC Issues New Enforcement Guidance on Workplace Retaliation," Duane Morris Alert, September 7, 2016
- "Delaware Enacts Gender Identity Nondiscrimination Act to Extend Employment Discrimination Protections Based on Gender Identity," Duane Morris Alert, June 24, 2013
- Co-author, "EEOC Updates Informal Guidance for Employers in Handling Cancer, Diabetes, Epilepsy and Intellectual Disabilities Under the Americans with Disabilities Act," Duane Morris Alert, June 4, 2013
- "EEOC Issues Enforcement Guidance on Employers' Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions," Duane Morris Alert, May 2, 2012
- Co-author, "U.S. Supreme Court Recognizes Ministerial Exception and Bars Employment Discrimination Claims by Employees Engaged in Ministerial Functions," Duane Morris Alert, January 13, 2012
- Co-author, "EEOC Issues Final Regulations Implementing ADA Amendments Act," Duane Morris Alert, March 31, 2011
- Co-author, "EEOC Issues Final Regulations Regarding Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act," Duane Morris Alert, November 22, 2010
- Co-author, "Employer Tax Benefits in Newly Enacted HIRE Act," Duane Morris Alert, April 5, 2010
- Co-author, "Compliance with the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) ," Duane Morris Alert, December 9, 2009
- "Delaware Enacts Law to Extend Employment Discrimination Protections Based on Sexual Orientation," Duane Morris Alert, July 8, 2009
- Co-author, "Employee Misclassification: A Risky Business for Employers," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2008
- "Dressed for Work or Dressed for Las Vegas? An Overview of Employee Dress Code Policies," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, December 2007
- Co-author, "Permitting Prayer and Preventing Proselytizing: Religion in the Workplace," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, August 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Top Ten Mistakes in Interviewing & Hiring Process," Delaware County (PA) SHRM Chapter, April 2016
- Speaker, "Creating an LGBT-Inclusive Workplace," Cumberland Valley SHRM Diversity Conference, May 6, 2016
- Speaker, "Finding Our Way Through the Weeds: Employment Law & Medical Marijuana in the Workplace," American Industrial Hygiene Association, April 20, 2016
- Speaker, "Drafting Employee Handbooks and Avoiding the Most Common Handbook Mistakes," Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry's HR Roundtable, King of Prussia, PA, April 26, 2012
- Presenter, "Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Workplace Issues," 2008 and 2009 Legislative Conference for the Society of Human Resources Management
- Participant, 2008 Delaware Valley Human Resources (DVHR) Partnership Summit