Maxine D. Bayley
- Duane Morris LLP
One Market Plaza, Suite 2200
San Francisco, CA 94105-1127
Phone: +1 415 957 3040
Fax: +1 415 358 4825
Maxine D. Bayley practices in the area of immigration law, representing clients in matters involving the employment of foreign nationals in a variety of industries, with a particular focus on intracompany transfers of managers, executives and employees with specialized knowledge.
Ms. Bayley's practice also involves representing individuals regarding adjustment of status and naturalization applications, non-immigrant and immigrant waivers of inadmissibility, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petitions and asylum applications. In addition, she has experience with federal court litigation, drafting complaints and motions for summary judgment and with appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals and petitions for review in the U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits.
Ms. Bayley is a 2004 graduate of the American University, Washington College of Law, where she represented individuals in the International Law and Human Rights clinic, and a 2001 graduate of Gonzaga University.
- Obtained lawful permanent residency status for two young immigrants, overcoming prior removal orders and establishing they were eligible for relief under the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA).
- Drafted a section of a petition for writ of certiorari filed with the U.S. Supreme Court regarding the retroactive application of Padilla v. Kentucky to ineffective assistance of counsel claims raised on collateral review with regard to immigrants. Emmanuel Morris v. Commonwealth of Virginia
- Briefed and argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to overturn a removal order against a U.S. lawful permanent resident and citizen of El Salvador who feared for his life in El Salvador based on the perception of involvement in gang activity. Santos Antonio Sanchez v. Eric Holder, Jr.
- Obtained the approval of an O-1 visa, reserved for individuals with extraordinary ability, for a Canadian citizen to accept a high level executive position with Aramark.
- Secured the approval of an O-1 visa petition from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and a nonimmigrant waiver of inadmissibility from the U.S. Department of States, for a Belgian artist.
Areas of Practice
- Immigration Law
- District of Columbia
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 2004
- Gonzaga University, B.A., 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2009-present
- Lawler & Lawler
- Associate, 2006-2009
- Maggio & Kattar, P.C.
- Associate, 2004-2006
- Law Clerk, 2003-2004
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2005 to present
- Northern California Chapter Advisory Council Member
-- Co-liaison to U.S. Customs & Border Protection
--- Co-Director of Education Programs (past)
- National Association of Professional Women, 2015 to present
- Board Member, Walnut Creek Chapter
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Stars, 2015
- Author, "Immigration is Watching," California Lawyer, December 2011
- Author, "Practical Tips for Preparing L-1B Petitions," published in materials for the AILA California Chapters Conference, November 2011
- Co-author, "EB-2 Visas for China and India Move Five Months and Other Immigration Law Updates," Duane Morris Alert, June 21, 2011
- Co-author, "USCIS's Fee Increases and Other Immigration Law Updates," Duane Morris Alert, September 13, 2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2016, San Francisco, California, May 12, 2016
- Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2015, San Francisco, California, May 21, 2015
- Speaker, "Obama's Executive Action: How it Impacts Immigrants," Bar Association of San Francisco, May 7, 2015
- Speaker, "H1-B Petitions," Duane Morris Institute Seminar, February 4, 2015
- Speaker, "New 2015 Employment and Immigration Laws and Trends," Duane Morris Employment, Benefits and Immigration Practice Group, San Francisco, January 22, 2015
- Speaker, "Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," Duane Morris Employment, Benefits and Immigration Practice Group, San Francisco, May 22, 2014
- Panelist, "Representing the Multinational Specialized Knowledge Worker - Advanced L-1B Issues and Requirements," AILA California Chapters Conference, 2011
- Speaker, "H-1B Visas for Specialty Occupations," Bar Association of San Francisco, September 27, 2011