Richard L. Renck focuses his practice on complex corporate and commercial litigation. The majority of his litigation practice consists of corporate governance actions in state and federal courts and statutory actions arising under Delaware General Corporation Law. Mr. Renck also advises clients on general commercial disputes. In addition, he advises corporate boards, directors and committees of boards in high-stakes litigation and counsels directors and senior executives on issues of corporate governance. Mr. Renck also regularly works with the professionals in Duane Morris’ Intellectual Property practice group in representing clients in intellectual property litigation in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.
Since 2004, Mr. Renck has represented neglected and abused children in the Family Court system through Delaware's Office of the Child Advocate. Prior to attending law school, Renck graduated from Wachovia Bank of Georgia's management trainee program and served as a manager in Wachovia's retail branches.
Mr. Renck is a 1999 graduate of the University of South Carolina, where he was a member of the Order of Wig and Robe and articles editor of the South Carolina Environmental Law Journal, and a cum laude (with honors in Business) graduate of Presbyterian College. After law school, Mr. Renck served as law clerk, first in the Superior Court of Delaware, and then to the Honorable William B. Chandler III and the Honorable John W. Noble in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
The listing of areas of practice in the foregoing profile does not represent official certification as a specialist in those areas.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance
- Judy v. Preferred Communication Systems, Inc., 2013 WL 1897127 (Del. Ch. March 25, 2013): I served as the court-appointed receiver charged with gathering the company's books and records, completing an accurate stock ledger, and convening an annual meeting for the election of directors.
- America's Mining Corp. v. Theriault, 51, A.3d 1213 (Del. 2012): I was the primary A&G lawyer responsible for representing the nominal defendant, Southern Peru Copper Corp. in this shareholder derivative suit.
- In re Anderson News, LLC, Case No. 09-10695 (CSS)(2011 Bank. Ct. of Del.): Counsel to the Examiner in this Chapter 11 proceeding.
- WaveDivision Holdings, LLC v. Millennium Digital Media Systems, L.L.C., 2010 WL 3706624 (Del. Ch. Sept 17, 2010). I was the primary A&G lawyer responsible for representing the defendant in this commercial dispute.
- In re Appraisal of Metromedia Intern. Group, Inc., 971 A.2d 893 (Del. Ch. 2009): Represented petitioners in this statutory appraisal action.
- In re Loral Space and Communications, Inc., 2008 WL 4293781 (Del. Ch. Sept. 19, 2008): Represented significant investor as the derivative plaintiff in this class and derivative action.
- Represented the special committee of the board of directors of an automotive parts supplier as it considered strategic alternatives while in the “zone of insolvency.” (2008).
- OCI, Wyoming v. PacifiCorp, 479 F.3d 1199 (10th Cir. 2007): Successfully represented mining corporation in a suit against the supplier of electrical power for power outages.
- Black v. Hollinger Intern., Inc., 872 A.2d 559 (Del. 2005): Represented the members of the Special Committee charged with reviewing the conduct of Mr. Black.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Articles Editor, South Carolina Environmental Law Journal
- Order of Wig and Robe
- Presbyterian College, B.S., cum laude (with honors in Business), 1992
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2014-present
- Ashby & Geddes
- Partner, 2008-2013
- Associate, 2003-2008
- Potter Anderson & Corroon
- Associate, 2001-2003
- Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Hon. William B. Chandler III and the Hon. John W. Noble, 2000-2001
- Superior Court of the State of Delaware
- Judicial Law Clerk, 1999-2000
- American Bar Association
- Section of Business Law, Business & Corporation Litigation Committee
-- Chairman, Business Courts Subcommittee
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Rodney Inn of Court
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Office of the Child Advocate, Delaware
- Guardian ad litem on behalf of abused and neglected children
- Haig Point Club and Community Association
- Member, Board of Directors
- Friends of Mount Harmon, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors
- Author, "Corporations Don't Independently Owe Fiduciary Duties to Stockholders," Delaware Business Court Insider, August 20, 2014
- Co-author, "Recent Developments in Business Commercial Courts in the United States and Abroad," Business Law Today, ABA, May 1, 2014
- Co-author, Chapter 5: Business Courts, ABA Section of Business Law, Committee on Business Courts and Corporate Litigation: Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2013 Ed
- Co-author, Chapter 5: Business Courts, ABA Section of Business Law, Committee on Business Courts and Corporate Litigation: Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2012 Ed.
- Co-author, "Recent Developments Affecting Professional's, Officer's, and Director's Liability," 47 Tort Trial & Ins. Practice L.J. 1 (2011)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "When Three is a Crowd: Issues in Managing Complex Multidistrict and Cross-Border Litigation," 2014 Business Law Section Annual Meeting of the ABA, Chicago, September 12, 2014
- Moderator, "Recent Developments in Director Liability," 2013 Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting
- Moderator, "Independent Directors: Help Them to Help You," 2012 Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting