Anastasios G. Kastrinakis practices in the areas of international, corporate, partnership, and state and local taxation. His practice focuses on taxation of cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions and related issues, including investment fund formation, private equity transactions and related partnership tax issues.
Mr. Kastrinakis advises individuals, corporations, partnerships, S corporations, family offices and investment funds on the structure and tax aspects of various transactions and investments, particularly inbound transactions. He also advises non-U.S. persons and investment funds on the tax aspects of investing in U.S. real estate, including tax issues pertaining to the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act ("FIRPTA"). Mr. Kastrinakis provides tax advice to buyers and sellers in private transactions, including purchases and sales of partnerships and S corporations. He represents numerous family offices and private equity funds based in Latin America and China on U.S. tax issues related to real estate and other private equity investments in the U.S. In addition, he represents taxpayers undertaking voluntary disclosures under the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and advises non-U.S. individuals and families on pre-immigration tax planning.
He represents numerous family offices and private equity funds based in Latin America and China on U.S. tax issues related to real estate and other private equity investments in the U.S.
Mr. Kastrinakis earned his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law in 2005. He is a 2004 cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law and a 2001 graduate of Cornell University. He is fluent in Greek.
Areas of Practice
- Taxation of Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Fund Formation
- Private Equity
- Represented foreign individuals and family offices (from, among other jurisdictions, China, Chile, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brazil, Mexico and Canada) in creating tax-efficient structures for direct and passive real estate and other investments in the U.S.
- Advised offshore investment funds on U.S. income tax aspects of real estate and other projects located in the U.S., including structures involving trusts and blocker entities.
- Represented Borrachas Vipal S.A., a Brazilian manufacturer of rubber and other tire materials, in the U.S. corporate and tax aspects of its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a controlling stake in Marangoni Tread North America, Inc., a manufacturer of tire retreading solutions for commercial trucking fleets, to form a leading global independent player in the retreading sector, as part of Vipal’s global relationship with Marangoni S.p.A.
- Represented 2120 East York LLC, the borrower/developer of 54 units of market rate housing in Philadelphia, in a transactional joint venture to create three separate, qualified opportunity zone funds, which in turn invested in a Qualified Opportunity Zone Business (“QOZB”) where a lender to the transaction, PNC Bank, also invested equity in the QOZB.
- Represented growth capital investor Lone Pine Capital in its $292 million secondary fundraising for the UK-based cross-border money transfer service TransferWise Ltd., reaching a $3.5 billion market cap and making TransferWise Europe’s most valuable FinTech start-up.
- Assisted Public Health Management Corporation (PHMC) in leasing 100,000 square feet of space at 4601 Market Street, an historic 300,000+ square foot building, and in structuring a joint venture investment for PHMC with Iron Stone Partners in the adaptive reuse of the remainder of the property, utilizing historic and new market tax credits to create a neighborhood medical center and office complex.
- Represented a nuclear waste disposal company in the sale of a business unit (S corporation) to a nuclear services provider.
- Represented a multifamily family office in its $92 million acquisition and financing of a multi-level, 350,000 square foot shopping mall in Silver Spring, Maryland; provided tax and fund formation assistance concerning tax structuring and equity financing and advised on tax aspects of joint venture agreement with the developer.
- Represented one of Brazil's largest asset management companies in connection with organizing an offering of interests in a U.S. joint venture and forming the structure for Brazilian investors with respect to the multi million-dollar acquisition of a 422,000 square-foot office park in Redmond, Washington, including advising on tax aspects of joint venture agreement with the sponsor of the acquisition.
- Represented Chinese private equity fund on fund formation and tax structuring for non-US investors and addressed tax issues of joint venture with US-based developer for real estate project.
- Represented Brazilian family office on joint ventures and tax structuring for investment in US real estate and mezzanine financing vehicles.
- Represented Goldman Sachs Lending Partners in a $700 million Senior Secured First Lien Term Loan Facility and $50 million Senior Secured First Lien Revolving Facility together with other security, credit, hedging and financing, resulting in an aggregate principal financing estimated to be $1.1 billion, with funding to be used to restart an oil refinery in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- New York
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 2005
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2004
- Cornell University, A.B., Economics, 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2016-present
- Carlton Fields Jorden Burt P.A.
- Shareholder, 2016
- Associate, 2012-2016
- DLA Piper LLP
- Associate, 2006-2011
- Deloitte Tax LLP
- Junior Associate, 2005-2006
Co-author, "Time to Update Partnership and Operating Agreements Under New Audit Rules," Duane Morris Alert, January 23, 2018
Co-author, "New Pass-Through Entity Deduction Delivers Tax Relief and Complexity," Duane Morris Alert, January 8, 2018
Co-author, "New FIRPTA Exceptions Provide Opportunities for Foreign Pensions and Investment Funds," Carlton Fields Client Alert, February 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "Opportunity Zones and Tax Efficient Strategies for Brazilian Real Estate Investors," Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce, New York City, September 26, 2019