Gregory P. Duffy concentrates his practice in commercial leasing, land development, construction, and financing. Mr. Duffy's representative work includes commercial leasing for national and international businesses representing both landlords and tenants; equity and land sales acquisitions and dispositions; commercial financing; multi-family housing and hotel sales and development; real estate tax litigation; and zoning appeals. He has extensive experience representing national portfolios of retail, office, and industrial leases, and brings a practical, business-minded outlook to each negotiation.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New York, Mr. Duffy is a 2004 magna cum laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and was executive editor of the Law Review. Mr. Duffy graduated summa cum laude from the State University of New York at Binghamton, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Represented a U.S.-based high-tech manufacturing company in the transportation industry in connection with its $28.5 million sale to and lease-back from a national REIT of the company’s newly-completed 49,000 square-foot corporate headquarters building, a 146,000 square-foot manufacturing building, and a 95,000 square-foot manufacturing building.
- Created Pennsylvania LLC and advised on all matters pertaining to organization and startup of business, including capital formation activities, that applied for permits to grow, process and dispense medical marijuana in Pennsylvania pursuant to Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Act, including preparing grower/processor and dispensary permit applications submitted to Pennsylvania Department of Health. Also handled zoning and dispensary leases for multiple properties in Pennsylvania.
- Represented SAP in negotiating a build-to-suit lease for a signature building on Pittsburgh's North Shore waterfront; representation included: negotiation of the term sheet, lease and work agreements, and assisting client with agreements for architecture and construction management, as well as other construction contract issues.
- Represented Adaptimmune, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of novel cancer immunotherapy products, in negotiating a build-to-suit lease for its newly constructed U.S. headquarters and base of clinical and manufacturing operations in Philadelphia’s Navy Yard, owned and developed by Liberty Property Trust
- Represents an international staffing company with respect to the negotiation and management of its nationwide retail and office leases.
- Represents international software technology company with respect to national real estate portfolio.
- Represents a national provider of post-secondary degrees with respect to its national leasing portfolio, including negotiating and drafting commercial leases, amendments, subleases, subordination agreements, estoppels and termination agreements.
- Represented purchaser of charter school properties located in California, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
- Represented Tioga Downs Racetrack, LLC in submitting an application and response to the New York State Gaming Facility Location Board's Request for Applications to Develop and Operate a Gaming Facility in New York State.
- Represented The State Bar of California in closing a series of transactions, which includes "one of the largest real estate purchases in downtown Los Angeles in 2012," the Bar's acquisition of an office building located at 845 South Figueroa Street in Los Angeles for $50 million and the $25.5 million tax-exempt acquisition financing therefor. The Bar also sold its parking lot in downtown Los Angeles for $29 million.
- Represented Las Vegas Sands in the licensure, zoning, construction, development, and financing of the Sands Casino Resort in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, together with the leasing of the adjacent high-end outlet shopping center.
- Represented hedge provider and lenders in connection with Pennsylvania wind energy project.
- Represents a private real estate company in office, warehouse and retail leasing in projects throughout the eastern United States.
- Represented furniture retailer with retail and office leases throughout U.S. in connection with IPO.
- Represented seller in a $3,750,000 disposition of a multi-family apartment building, including bond release negotiation.
- Represented client in the leasing of 832,427 rsf of factory/warehouse space.
- Represented purchaser in the $40,000,000 acquisition of residential development property.
- University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2004
- Order of the Coif
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., summa cum laude, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
- Associate, 2005-2014
- Covington & Burling
- Associate, 2004-2005
Honors and Awards
- First Judicial District Pro Bono Roll of Honor, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Listed in Pennsylvania Rising Stars, 2010
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Board Member, Neighborhood Gardens Trust
- Pro Bono Attorney for Partners for Sacred Places
- Vestry Member, St. Peter's Church
- Member, Guatemala Committee
- "Sacred Places — Space Sharing Primer," October 2012
- Co-author, "Pennsylvania Planned Communities and Condominiums in Light of Shaffer Decision: What Now?," Duane Morris Alert, February 12, 2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
Presenter, “Cannabis Facility Leases: Navigating the Changing Legal Landscape”, ALI-CLE Commercial Real Estate Leases Seminar, May 1, 2020
Presenter, “Common Sense About Common Areas: Landlord’s Opportunity vs. Tenant’s Needs and Wants”, ALI-CLE Commercial Real Estate Leases Seminar, April 30 2020
Presenter, “Representing Threatened Gardens CLE,” Public Interest Law Center, April 4, 2018
Presenter, "Cannabis 103: Real Estate-Practical Considerations for Owners, Operators and Investors in Cannabis Real Property," The Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, March 20, 2018 (video playback)
- Presenter, "Exploring Location and Real Estate Issues," Clearing the Smoke: Legal Pathways to Success in the Cannabis Industry, June 19, 2017
- "Legal Issues in Shared Space Planning," Partners for Sacred Places – Arts in Sacred Places Training Module, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 23, 2012
- Faculty Member and Speaker, "The Sustainability Puzzle: Evaluating and Implementing the Greening of Commercial Buildings," 12th Annual Real Estate Institute, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, December 5, 2008
- "Building Green," Real Estate Law Update 2008, Pennsylvania Bar Institute program, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, April 4, 2008, and Malvern, Pennsylvania, April 17, 2008
- Faculty Member and Speaker, "Overcoming Green Building Challenges - Efficiently Managing LEED® Document Management Challenges," Green Building & Technology, Finance, Investment & Construction Summit, sponsored by Financial Research Associates, LLC, New York City, September 24, 2007
- Faculty Member and Speaker, "Developers' Roundtable on Achieving LEED® Certifications," Green Building & Technology, Finance, Investment & Construction Summit, sponsored by Financial Research Associates, LLC, New York City, September 24, 2007