Christopher D. Durham
Duane Morris LLP
30 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-4196
Phone: +1 215 979 1510
Fax: +1 215 689 4915
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Mr. Durham is a 2005 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was articles editor of the Journal of Labor and Employment Law, and a magna cum laude graduate of Miami University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Areas of Practice
- Employment and Management Labor Law
- Represented a clean technology company in the sale of the stock of a stormwater treatment company to a civil engineering site solutions company.
- Represent large healthcare employer in wage-and-hour class and collective action case in which plaintiffs have alleged failure to pay nonexempt employees for all time worked, including time allegedly worked during meal breaks. Suit includes claims brought under the FLSA, Pennsylvania Wage Payment and Collection Law, Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Act, ERISA, RICO and state common law.
- Prepared affirmative action plans for government contractors and subcontractors, and counseled government contractors and subcontractors regarding all aspects of affirmative action obligations under federal law.
- Represented government contractors and subcontractors in U.S. Office of Federal Contracts Compliance Programs' audits regarding compliance with affirmative action laws and regulations.
- On behalf of national health care services provider, obtained rerun union election before the National Labor Relations Board.
- On behalf of fluid power distributor, successfully defended Department of Labor investigation into exempt status of employees, avoiding significant liability for unpaid overtime.
- On behalf of international food services and facilities management company, obtained dismissal of federal race discrimination lawsuit.
- Counseled federal contractors and subcontractors on affirmative action compliance and Department of Labor audits.
- Successfully defended employment discrimination and harassment cases in federal and state courts and before federal and state agencies.
- Assisted with developing apprenticeship program for state authority's significant public facility construction project.
- On behalf of heavy and highway construction company, successfully challenged a multiemployer pension plan's imposition of substantial pension plan withdrawal liability.
- Counseled insurance company during investigation into an employee's serious computer-related misconduct and coordinated efforts with federal authorities during the investigation.
- Counseled clients on wage payment, wage and hour compliance, and white collar exemptions under federal and state law.
- The University of Pennsylvania Law School Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2005
- Articles Editor, Journal of Labor and Employment Law
- Miami University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2002
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2007-present
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Associate, 2005-2007
Civic and Charitable Activities
- South of South Neighborhood Association- Member, Board of Directors, 2012- present
- Co-author, "Hospitals Must Re-Evaluate Subcontractor Status," Law360, April 16, 2013
- Co-author, "OFCCP Rescinds Old Compensation Guidance, Implements New Compensation Directive," Duane Morris Alert, March 6, 2013
- Author, "Affirmative Action Invades the Healthcare Industry – Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the OFCCP," Employment Law Strategist, July 2011
- Co-author, "OFCCP Proposes Revisions to Veterans' Affirmative Action Regulations," Duane Morris Alert, May 10, 2011
- "DOL's "Mixed Bag" Final Rule Amends Some FLSA Regulations; Leaves Intact Other Regulations Previously Slated to Change," Duane Morris Alert, April 11, 2011
- Co-author, "OFCCP Affirmative Action Directive Gives New Guidance for Healthcare Providers and Insurers," Duane Morris Alert, January 31, 2011
- "U.S. Department of Labor Further Expands Jurisdiction over Hospitals and Healthcare Providers; TRICARE Agreements Impose Affirmative Action Obligations," Duane Morris Alert, November 15, 2010
- Co-author, "Telecommuting and the Virtual Workplace: How to be Flexible with Employees and Not Run Afoul of Inflexible Laws," Employment Law Strategist, July 2010
- Co-author, "Employment Arbitration: It Takes Two to Tango," Employment Law Strategist, December 2009
- Co-author, "President Issues Executive Order Encouraging the Use of Project Labor Agreements on Federal Construction Projects," Duane Morris Alert, March 9, 2009
- Co-author, "Employers Must Act Promptly to Comply with the Revised Family and Medical Leave Act Regulations," Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2008
- Co-author, "Federal Government Issues Final Rule Requiring Federal Contractors to Use E-Verify System," Duane Morris Alert, November 20, 2008
- "President Amends Executive Order to Require All Federal Contractors to Use E-Verify System," Duane Morris Alert, June 17, 2008
- "Important New Employment Legislation Prohibits Discrimination Based on Genetic Information Federally and Provides for Paid Family Leave in New Jersey," Duane Morris Alert, May 13, 2008
- Co-author, "The NLRB in 2007: Will the 'Roll-Backs' of the Bush Board Survive the 2008 Election?" Employment Law Strategist, April 2008
- Co-author, "FMLA Expanded to Cover Relatives of Military Service Members," HRNow, Spring 2008
- "Family and Medical Leave Act Expanded to Cover Relatives of Military Service Members," Duane Morris Alert, February 14, 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker,“This is Not Your Father’s OFCCP: The New Era of Affirmative Action Compliance,” Lehigh Valley Chapter of Society for Human Resource Management, October 15, 2012
- Speaker, "ADA Amendments Act of 2008 and the Final Regulations," Greater Valley Forge Human Resources Association, November 3, 2011
- Speaker, "Affirmative Action," Duane Morris Institute Seminar, July 6, 2011
- Presenter, "Hospitals on the OFCCP's Radar: A New Era for Affirmative Action Compliance," Hospital Association of Pennsylvania webinar, May 16, 2011
- Instructor, "Health Care on OFCCP's Radar: Affirmative Action Anyone?", Duane Morris Institute Seminar, February 28, 2011
- Instructor, "Affirmative Action, Pro-Union Posting and E-Verify Obligations of Federal Contractors and Subcontractors," Duane Morris Institute Seminar, Philadelphia, October 21, 2010
- Lecturer, "Hiring and Firing: How To Do It Right," Wilmington, Delaware, September 16, 2009
- Co-Conductor, "Developing An Affirmative Action Plan," CLE Presentation, October 22, 2007
- Instructor, "FMLA Master Class - An Advanced Interactive Workshop," Philadelphia, November 16, 2006