Frederick Cohen is a trial lawyer with more than 35 years' experience in construction matters. His experience includes resolving issues involving delays, defective performance and structural failures. He also has resolved many cases through alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Mr. Cohen's practice focuses upon the representation of owner-developers, nonprofit institutions, contractors and sureties in both the private and public sectors. In addition to his litigation practice, he has negotiated and prepared complex construction contracts for hospitals, university residence halls, office buildings and high-rise residential buildings.
In 2014, Mr. Cohen was named the Best Lawyers' New York City Litigation - Construction "Lawyer of the Year." Mr. Cohen has also been recognized as one of the leading construction attorneys in New York in the 2008 through 2015 Chambers USA Guide to America 's Leading Business Lawyers.
A member of the American and New York State bar associations and of the American Arbitration Association, Mr. Cohen is a graduate of Brooklyn Law School and a graduate of Alfred University.
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Construction Litigation
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
- Alfred University, B.A.
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- American Arbitration Association
- Construction Industry Panel of Arbitrators
- UJA-Federation of New York's Real Estate Committee
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Construction Law Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Executive Committee for Construction and Surety
Honors and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers' 2014 New York City Litigation - Construction "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in the New York Law Journal as a Top Rated Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2013
- Selected as one of the Top Rated Lawyers in Construction Law by The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel, 2012
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2016
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2008-2015 editions
- Listed as a New York Super Lawyer in Construction Litigation, 2007-2014
- Listed in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009-2011
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Featured in "Constructing the Law: Frederick Cohen '67," BLS Law Notes, Fall 2010
- Co-author, "Termination for Convenience of Construction Contracts," New York Law Journal, February 15, 2011