Mr. Carbin concentrates his practice in insurance, reinsurance, and international trade and transportation. He has successfully litigated some of the leading insurance and transportation decisions in the United States over the last quarter century such as the insurance industry-wide Brokerage Commission Antitrust litigation and the World Trade Center 9/11 Liability Coverage litigation. He obtained complete dismissals for the clients in each. He has tried numerous cases throughout the U.S. and arbitrated overseas, and has secured multiple precedental decisions. In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Carbin regularly advises clients on U.S. and international insurance, trading and transportation matters. He has acted as U.S. general counsel for foreign insurers and reinsurers doing business in the United States and has presented as an expert witness in foreign courts on United States law. His experience provides clients with sound legal guidance tempered with commercial practicalities.
Mr. Carbin has been accredited as a lecturer for the New York State Insurance Department, taught at the World Trade Institute, and spoken before Lloyd's of London, The Institute of London Underwriters, the Assurance Societe des Francaise de Space Aviatione et Transports, The American Institute of Marine Underwriters and multiple other fora. He has published articles in Lloyd's List, Insurance Day, The Journal of Commerce, Review Magazine and Mealey's Reporter, amongst others.
A 1979 graduate of New York Law School, he was a member of the Law Review and the Executive Board for the Moot Court Society, and graduated from the State University of New York at Oneonta.
Areas of Practice
- International Litigation
- International and Domestic Transportation
- Altadis USA, Inc. v. Sea Star Line, LLC, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44833 (March 16, 2005), 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44993 (M.D. Fla., Jacksonville Div. Aug. 15, 2005) affirmed in part, vacated in part, remanded, 458 F.3d 1288 (11th Cir. Fla., 2006), 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 20125 certiorari granted by U.S. Supreme Court.
- Catlin (Syndicate 2003) at Lloyd's v. San Juan Towing and Marine Services, Inc.; No. 13-2491; (1st Cir., Feb. 6, 2015).
- Obtained Grant of Asylum from US Department of Homeland Security for a 13 year old Central American girl who had been kidnapped, tortured and threatened with death by MS13 gang.
- Kain v. Gloucester City, Gloucester City Sail, Inc., at al., Appellate Division, NJ Dkt No. A-4854-12T2 (July 21, 2014).
- In re Ins. Brokerage Antitrust Litig., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 65037 (D.N.J., Aug. 31, 2007) affirmed in relevant part by In re Ins. Brokerage Antitrust Litig., 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 17107 (3d Cir. N.J., Aug. 16, 2010).
- In re September 11th Liab. Ins. Coverage Cases, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4311 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 22, 2005).
- In re Arbitration between APM Terminals, North America, Inc. v. Horizon Lines, LLC and Horizon Lines of Alaska, LLC, No. 4169, Society of Maritime Arbitrators (Feb. 28, 2012).
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Novus International, Inc., 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 25073 (2d Cir. Dec. 7, 2012).
- American Nat'l Fire Ins. Co. v. Kenealy (2d Cir. Dec. 13, 1995); 1995 U.S. App. LEXIS 35178; 1996 AMC 584.
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Matrix Posh, LLC, 507 Fed. Appx. 94, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 1023 (2d Cir. N.Y. 2013).
- Advani Enterprises v. Underwriters at Lloyds, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5153 (2d Cir. April 20, 2000); 140 F.3d 157 (2d Cir. March 20, 1998); 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 5367; 1998 AMC 2045.
- St. Paul Travelers Cos. v. Corn Island Shipyard, 495 F.3d 376; 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 16998; 2007 AMC 2436 (7th Circ. 2007).
- Centennial Ins. Co. v. Lithotech Sales LLC, 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6664 (D.N.J.), aff'd, 29 Fed. Appx. 835 (3d Cir. Feb. 5, 2002); 2002 U.S. App. LEXIS 33287.
- Miller Marine Servs. v. Travelers Prop. Cas. Ins. Co., 197 Fed. Appx. 62 (2d Cir. Sept. 18, 2006) U.S. App. LEXIS 24065; 2006 AMC 2406.
- Fesco Inc. v. Shone, 2000 U.S. App. LEXIS 1240 (2d Cir. Jan. 27, 2000).
- Progressive Casualty Ins. Co. v. C.A. Reaseguradora Nacional de Venezuela, 991 F.2d 42 (2d Cir. April 6, 1993); 1993 AMC 2916.
- Egan Marine Corp. v. Great Am. Ins. Co., 2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 23369 (7th Cir. Nov. 23, 2011).
- St. Paul Travelers Ins. Co. v. Wallenius Wilhemsen Logistics A/S, 433 Fed.Appx. 19 (2d Cir. May 20, 2011).
- Olympo Transp. Co. v. Certain Ins. Cos. at the Inst. of London Underwriters, 103 F.3d 1 (1st Cir. Dec. 30, 1996); 1996 U.S. App. LEXIS 33858; 1997 AMC 964.
- Sirius Ins. Co. (UK) v. Collins, 16 F.3d 34; 1994 U.S. App. LEXIS 1950; 1994 AMC 1683 affirmed 1992 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22678, 1992 AMC 1655 (2d Cir. 1994)
- ALBERT LEROUGE and DONNA LEROUGE v. FRANK M. FLOWER & SONS, INC., 1992 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22678; 1992 AMC 1655 affirmed 978 F.2d 705; 1992 U.S. App. LEXIS 27092, (2d Cir. 1992).
- Rimac International Cia. De Seguros Y Reaseguros , S.A. v. Exel Global Logistics 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 54712 (SDNY 2009).
- Sterling Promotional Corp. v. General Accident Ins. Co., 86 Fed. Appx. 441 (2d Cir. Jan. 6, 2004); 2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 75.
- Siaci Saint Honore, et al. v. Ironbound Express, Inc., et al. 2102 AMC 2497, 884 F.Supp 2d 100 (SDNY Aug. 6, 2012).
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company v. Abhe & Svoboda, Inc., 12-cv-01482 (D. Minn. April 29, 2014).
- Royal Ins. Co. of Am. v. K.S.I. Trading Corp., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8152 (D.N.J. Feb. 17, 2006); 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 40363 (D.N.J. June 16, 2006).
- Conn. Indem. Co. v. Palivoda, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24511 (M.D. Fla., Tampa Div. July 25, 2005); 2005 AMC 2047.
- Euro Classics, Inc. v. Exel Global Logistics, Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8162 (W.D. Wash. Feb. 5. 2007).
- DB Trade Intl., Inc. v. Astramar CIA Argentina De Navegacion S.A.C., 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14465 (N.D. Ill. Dec. 15, 1998).
- Samsung Austin Semiconductor, LLC v. Air Express International USA, Inc., 1:08-cv-00385-RP (W.D. Tex. May 7, 2010).
- Royal Ins. Co. of Am. v. A & C Ship Fueling Corp., 1992 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22794 (E.D.N.Y. March 24, 1992); 1992 AMC 1686.
- Conn. Indem. Co. v. Perrotti, 390 F. Supp. 2d 158 (D.Conn. Sept. 30, 2005); 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22789; 2005 AMC 2955.
- St. Paul Travelers Cos. v. BK Marine Constr., Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14005 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 27, 2007).
- Centennial Ins. Co. v. M/V Constellation Enterprise, 639 F. Supp. 1261 (S.D.N.Y. July 17, 1986); 1986 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22637.
- T.W. Oil Inc. v. BP Shipping Ltd., No. 84 Civ. 7249 (JFK), 1986 U.S. Dis. LEXIS 30421, January 15, 1986.
- Navigators Ins. Co. v. American Home Assur. Co., 1999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13420 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 1, 1999).
- Christensen Shipyards, Ltd. v. St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 91746 (W.D. Wash. Dec. 19, 2006).
- Pacific Resources v. Oswego Shipping Corp., 1984 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23253 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 27, 1984).
- Owatonna Tool Co. v. Pan American Container Corp., 1985 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 19972 (S.D.N.Y. May 9, 1985).
- ATCO, Inc. and T/B ATCO Mary Lee v. Disch Construction, 1992 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12950 (Aug. 28, 1993); 1993 AMC 2195.
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Royal Ins. Co. of America, 1994 WL 167943 (S.D.N.Y. 1994).
- Royal Ins. Co. v. Harbor Shuttle, Cv-97-3828 (E.D.N.Y. Jan. 25, 1999); 1999 A.M.C. 929.
- GE v. Circle Air Freight Corp., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3245 (S.D.N.Y. March 20, 1997).
- Martin Marietta Corp. v. Harper Group, 950 F. Supp. 1250 (S.D.N.Y. Jan. 15, 1997); 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24.
- Knic Knac Agencies v. Masterpiece Apparel, Ltd., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1180 (S.D.N.Y. Feb. 7, 1997).
- Protection Mut. Ins. Co. v. Silgan Plastics Corp., 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11700 (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 17, 2000).
- Royal Ins. Co. of America v. Cineraria Shipping Co., 894 F. Supp.1557 (M.D.Fla., Tampa Div. July 24, 1995); 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10470; 1996 AMC 2051.
- Affiliated FM Ins. Co. v. Jou Jou Designs, Inc., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3617 (March 26, 1997).
- Bray v. New York Life Ins. Co., 677 F. Supp. 127 (S.D.N.Y. Oct. 14, 1987); 1987 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12811; 45 Fair Empl. Prac. Cas. (BNA) 58; 44 Empl. Prac. Dec. (CCH) P 37, 497.
- Sprague & Rhodes Commodity Corp. v. S.S. Maersk Mango, 1981 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9512 (S.D.N.Y. March 19, 1981).
- Hojgaard & Schultz A/S v. Transmerican S.S. Corp., 590 F. Supp. 916 (S.D.N.Y. July 18, 1984); 1984 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14857; 1985 AMC 2129.
- Arkwright Mutual Ins. & KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11726 (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 15, 1995).
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Halifax Trawlers, Inc., 495 F.Supp.2d 232 (D.Mass. July 12, 2007); 2007 U.S. Dist. 50413.
- Chris Sports North America, Inc. v. M/V "APL PERU," Case No.1:08-cv-09352-AKH (S.D.N.Y. May 2, 2011).
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Novus International, Inc. 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 159317 (S.D.N.Y. Dec. 28, 2011).
- Mark Patterson, Inc. v. Nigel J.S. Bowie, et al., 237 A.D.2d 184 (March 20, 1997); 654 N.Y.S.2d 769; 1997 NY App. Div. LEXIS 2694.
- Biderman Industries Financial Services, Inc. v. Shipside Services, Inc., et al., 140 A.D.2d 1013; 529 929; 1988 NY App. Div. LEXIS 5891.
- Price & Pierce Int'l, Inc. v. Suzanne Transp., Inc., 262 A.D.2d 544 (June 21, 1999); 691 345; 1999 N.Y. App. Div. LEXIS 7056.
- Harbor Commuter Services, Inc. v Frenkel & Co. Inc., 401 N.J. Super. 354 (July 2, 2008); 951 A.2d 198; 2008 N.J. Super. LEXIS 146.
- New York
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- New York Law School, J.D., 1979
- New York Law School Law Review
- New York Law School Moot Court Executive Board
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2000-present
- Donovan Parry Carbin McDermott & Radzik, New York, New York
- Partner, 1997-2000
- Kroll & Tract, New York, New York
- Partner, 1989-1997
- Donovan Maloof Walsh & Repetto, New York, New York
- Partner, 1985-1989
- Associate, 1979-1985
- American Bar Association
-International Law Division
Proctor, Maritime Law Association of the United States
Member, American Bureau of Shipping
Member, Association of Average Adjusters of the United States
- Institute of London Underwriters
- Assurance Societe des Francaise de Space Aviatione et Transports
- World Trade Institute of the Port of New York and New Jersey
- French-American Chamber of Commerce
- American Institute of Marine Underwriters
- New York Trade Managers Association
- Lloyd's of London
- Certified Instructor, New York State Insurance Department
- New Jersey State Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
No aspect of these rankings has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- Contributor, Duane Morris Insurance Law Blog
- "New York Appeals Court Reverses Itself in K2 Investment Group Decision; Reaffirms Earlier Ruling in Servidone," Duane Morris Alert, February 19, 2014
- "Enforcing an International Arbitration Choice of Law: What Law Governs?" Mealey's International Arbitration Report, August 2012
- "Pirates: Hostis Humanis Generis," Federal Lawyer, September 2009
- "An Insured's Obligation to Reimburse Its Insurer for Costs Expended in the Defense of Non-Covered Claims," Mealey's Emerging Insurance Disputes, November 3, 2011
- "New York's Highest Court Permits Consequential Damages for Breach of Commercial Property Insurance Policy Despite Policy Exclusion for "Consequential Loss" ," Duane Morris Alert, March 5, 2008
- "Punitive Damages and the Significance of Recent Trends for Insurers," International Insurance Law Review, Vol. 6, Issue, 4, April 1998.
- "Constitutional Law-Lawyer Advertising," 23 New York Law School Law Review, 763, 1978.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "What Insurance Executives Need to Know About Business Interruption Updates for 2011" webinar, February 23, 2011
- "The Law of Piracy and Coverage for Ransom Under Marine Insurance," MICA, October 2009
- "The Legal and Regulatory Fight against Insurance Fraud," NJ ICLE, October 2013