James W. Carbin
Duane Morris LLP
One Riverfront Plaza
1037 Raymond Boulevard, Suite 1800
Newark, NJ 07102-5429
Phone: +1 973 424 2035
Fax: +1 973 556 1144
New York Address
Duane Morris LLP
New York, NY 10036-4086
Phone: +1 212 692 1000
Fax: +1 212 692 1020
Mr. Carbin is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, the District of New Jersey, the District of Connecticut, the Northern District of Florida, the Southern and Western Districts of Texas, the Second, Third, Seventh and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals, the International Court of Trade, and the U.S. Supreme Court
Mr. Carbin regularly tries and arbitrates cases throughout the United States, and arbitrates overseas. In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Carbin has presented as an expert witness in foreign courts on United States law and has acted as U.S. general counsel for foreign insurers and reinsurers doing business in the United States.
Mr. Carbin is a member of the American Bar Association, a member of the U.S. Association of Average Adjusters, a member of the American Bureau of Shipping, and a Proctor of the Maritime Law Association of the United States and the Association's Committee on Marine Insurance. He has been accredited as a lecturer for the New York State Insurance Department, taught at the World Trade Institute and has spoken before Lloyd's of London, The Institute of London Underwriters, the Assurance Société des Française de Space Aviatione et Transports, The American Institute of Marine Underwriters and a number of other organizations. He has published numerous articles Lloyd's List, Insurance Day, The Journal of Commerce, Review Magazine and Mealey's
Mr. Carbin is a 1979 graduate of New York Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review and the Executive Board for the Moot Court Society, and a graduate of the State University of New York.
Areas of Practice
- International Litigation
- International and Domestic Transportation
- Altadis USA, Inc. v. Sea Star Line, LLC., 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44833 (March 16, 2005), 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44993 (M.D. Fla., Jacksonville Div. Aug. 15, 2005) affirmed in part, vacated in part, remanded, 458 F.3d 1288 (11th Cir. Fla., 2006), 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 20125 certiorari granted by U.S. Supreme Court.
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Novus International, Inc., 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 25073 (2d Cir. Dec. 7, 2012).
- In re Arbitration between APM Terminals, North America, Inc. v. Horizon Lines, LLC and Horizon Lines of Alaska, LLC, No. 4169, Society of Maritime Arbitrators (Feb. 28, 2012).
- American Nat'l Fire Ins. Co. v. Kenealy (2d Cir. Dec. 13, 1995); 1995 U.S. App. LEXIS 35178; 1996 AMC 584.
- Advani Enterprises v. Underwriters at Lloyds, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5153 (2d Cir. April 20, 2000); 140 F.3d 157 (2d Cir. March 20, 1998); 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 5367; 1998 AMC 2045.
- Centennial Ins. Co. v. Lithotech Sales LLC, 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6664 (D.N.J.), aff'd, 29 Fed. Appx. 835 (3d Cir. Feb. 5, 2002); 2002 U.S. App. LEXIS 33287.
- Miller Marine Servs. V. Travelers Prop. Cas. Ins. Co., 197 Fed. Appx. 62 (2d Cir. Sept. 18, 2006) U.S. App. LEXIS 24065; 2006 AMC 2406.
- Fesco Inc. v. Shone, 2000 U.S. App. LEXIS 1240 (2d Cir. Jan. 27, 2000).
- Progressive Casualty Ins. Co. v. C.A. Reaseguradora Nacional de Venezuela, 991 F.2d 42 (2d Cir. April 6, 1993); 1993 AMC 2916.
- Egan Marine Corp. v. Great Am. Ins. Co., 2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 23369 (7th Cir. Nov. 23, 2011).
- St. Paul Travelers Ins. Co. v. Wallenius Wilhemsen Logistics A/S, 433 Fed.Appx. 19 (2d Cir. May 20, 2011).
- Olympo Transp. Co. v. Certain Ins. Cos. at the Inst. of London Underwriters, 103 F.3d 1 (1st Cir. Dec. 30, 1996); 1996 U.S. App. LEXIS 33858; 1997 AMC 964.
- Sterling Promotional Corp. v. General Accident Ins. Co., 86 Fed. Appx. 441 (2d Cir. Jan. 6, 2004); 2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 75.
- Royal Ins. Co. of Am. v. K.S.I. Trading Corp., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8152 (D.N.J. Feb. 17, 2006); 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 40363 (D.N.J. June 16, 2006).
- Conn. Indem. Co. v. Palivoda, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24511 (M.D. Fla., Tampa Div. July 25, 2005); 2005 AMC 2047.
- Euro Classics, Inc. v. Exel Global Logistics, Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8162 (W.D. Wash. Feb. 5. 2007).
- DB Trade Intl., Inc. v. Astramar CIA Argentina De Navegacion S.A.C., 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14465 (N.D. Ill. Dec. 15, 1998).
- Samsung Austin Semiconductor, LLC v. Air Express International USA, Inc., 1:08-cv-00385-RP (W.D. Tex. May 7, 2010).
- Royal Ins. Co. of Am. v. A & C Ship Fueling Corp., 1992 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22794 (E.D.N.Y. March 24, 1992); 1992 AMC 1686.
- Conn. Indem. Co. v. Perrotti, 390 F. Supp. 2d 158 (D.Conn. Sept. 30, 2005); 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22789; 2005 AMC 2955.
- St. Paul Travelers Cos. v. BK Marine Constr., Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14005 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 27, 2007).
- Centennial Ins. Co. v. M/V Constellation Enterprise, 639 F. Supp. 1261 (S.D.N.Y. July 17, 1986); 1986 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22637.
- T.W. Oil Inc.. v. BP Shipping Ltd., No. 84 Civ. 7249 (JFK), 1986 U.S. Dis. LEXIS 30421, January 15, 1986.
- Navigators Ins. Co. v. American Home Assur. Co., 1999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13420 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 1, 1999).
- Christensen Shipyards, Ltd. v. St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 91746 (W.D. Wash. Dec. 19, 2006).
- Pacific Resources v. Oswego Shipping Corp., 1984 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23253 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 27, 1984).
- Owatonna Tool Co. v. Pan American Container Corp., 1985 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 19972 (S.D.N.Y. May 9, 1985).
- ATCO, Inc. and T/B ATCO Mary Lee v. Disch Construction, 1992 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12950 (Aug. 28, 1993); 1993 AMC 2195.
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Royal Ins. Co. of America, 1994 WL 167943 (S.D.N.Y. 1994).
- Royal Ins. Co. v. Harbor Shuttle, Cv-97-3828 (E.D.N.Y. Jan. 25, 1999); 1999 A.M.C. 929.
- GE v. Circle Air Freight Corp., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3245 (S.D.N.Y. March 20, 1997).
- Martin Marietta Corp. v. Harper Group, 950 F. Supp. 1250 (S.D.N.Y. Jan. 15, 1997); 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24.
- Knic Knac Agencies v. Masterpiece Apparel, Ltd., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1180 (S.D.N.Y. Feb. 7, 1997).
- Protection Mut. Ins. Co. v. Silgan Plastics Corp., 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11700 (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 17, 2000).
- In re September 11th Liab. Ins. Coverage Cases, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3452 (S.D.N.Y. March 8, 2005). Later proceeding at In re September 11th Liab. Ins. Coverage Cases, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4311 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 22, 2005) caution, as of May 18, 2007.
- In re Ins. Brokerage Antitrust Litig., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 73054 (Oct. 3, 2006); 2006-2 Trade case (CCH) P75, 456; settled by, in part, claim dismissed by, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11163 (D.N.J. Feb. 16, 2007); 2007-1 Trade Cas. (CCH) P75, 637; motion granted by, claim dismissed by, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 25633 (D.N.J. April 5, 2007).
- Royal Ins. Co. of America v. Cineraria Shipping Co., 894 F. Supp.1557 (M.D.Fla., Tampa Div. July 24, 1995); 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10470; 1996 AMC 2051.
- Affiliated FM Ins. Co. v. Jou Jou Designs, Inc., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3617 (March 26, 1997).
- Bray v. New York Life Ins. Co., 677 F. Supp. 127 (S.D.N.Y. Oct. 14, 1987); 1987 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12811; 45 Fair Empl. Prac. Cas. (BNA) 58; 44 Empl. Prac. Dec. (CCH) P 37, 497.
- Sprague & Rhodes Commodity Corp. v. S.S. Maersk Mango, 1981 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9512 (S.D.N.Y. March 19, 1981).
- Hojgaard & Schultz A/S v. Transmerican S.S. Corp., 590 F. Supp. 916 (S.D.N.Y. July 18, 1984); 1984 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14857; 1985 AMC 2129.
- Arkwright Mutual Ins. & KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11726 (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 15, 1995).
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Halifax Trawlers, Inc., 495 F.Supp.2d 232 (D.Mass. July 12, 2007); 2007 U.S. Dist. 50413.
- St. Paul Travelers Ins. Co. v. M/V Madame Butterfly, et al., 700 F.Supp.2d. 496 (S.D.N.Y. March 31, 2010); 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 32204.
- Chris Sports North America, Inc. v. M/V "APL PERU", Case No.1:08-cv-09352-AKH (S.D.N.Y. May 2, 2011).
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. v. Novus International, Inc. 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 159317 (S.D.N.Y. Dec. 28, 2011).
- Mark Patterson, Inc. v. Nigel J.S. Bowie, et al., 237 A.D.2d 184 (March 20, 1997); 654 N.Y.S.2d 769; 1997 NY App. Div. LEXIS 2694.
- Biderman Industries Financial Services, Inc. v. Shipside Services, Inc., et al., 140 A.D.2d 1013; 529 N.Y.S.2d 929; 1988 NY App. Div. LEXIS 5891.
- Price & Pierce Int'l, Inc. v. Suzanne Transp., Inc., 262 A.D.2d 544 (June 21, 1999); 691 N.Y.S.2d 345; 1999 N.Y. App. Div. LEXIS 7056.
- Harbor Commuter Services, Inc. v Frenkel & Co. Inc., 401 N.J. Super. 354 (July 2, 2008); 951 A.2d 198; 2008 N.J. Super. LEXIS 146.
- American Bar Association
- Institute of London Underwriters
- World Trade Institute of the Port of New York and New Jersey
- French-American Chamber of Commerce
- New York Trade Managers Association
- Certified Instructor, New York State Insurance Department
- United States Association of Average Adjusters
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- American Bureau of Shipping
- U.S. Association of Average Adjusters
- New York
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- New York Law School, J.D., 1979
- New York Law School Law Review
- New York Law School Moot Court Executive Board
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2000-present
- Donovan Parry Carbin McDermott & Radzik, New York, New York
- Partner, 1997-2000
- Kroll & Tract, New York, New York
- Partner, 1989-1997
- Donovan Maloof Walsh & Repetto, New York, New York
- Partner, 1985-1989
- Associate, 1979-1985
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "Enforcing an International Arbitration Choice of Law: What Law Governs?" Mealey's International Arbitration Report, August 2012
- Co-author, "An Insured's Obligation to Reimburse Its Insurer for Costs Expended in the Defense of Non-Covered Claims," Mealey's Emerging Insurance Disputes, November 3, 2011
- "Pirates: Hostis Humanis Generis," Federal Lawyer, September 2009
- Co-author, "New York's Highest Court Permits Consequential Damages for Breach of Commercial Property Insurance Policy Despite Policy Exclusion for "Consequential Loss" ," Duane Morris Alert, March 5, 2008
- "Punitive Damages and the Significance of Recent Trends for Insurers," International Insurance Law Review, Vol. 6, Issue, 4, April 1998.
- "Constitutional Law-Lawyer Advertising," 23 New York Law School Law Review, 763, 1978.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "What Insurance Executives Need to Know About Business Interruption Updates for 2011" webinar, February 23, 2011