Jonathan D. Wetchler is an employment lawyer who works closely with clients to manage and resolve issues and disputes in virtually all areas of employment law. Having served as in-house counsel for two Fortune 500 companies and a high-tech start-up, Mr. Wetchler helps employers to develop and implement strategies, practices and programs to reduce their potential exposure to liability and to successfully resolve high-risk disputes and claims.
With more than 20 years of experience in the area of employment litigation, Mr. Wetchler has successfully handled a wide variety of employment disputes, from class and collective actions to high-profile single plaintiff cases, as well as arbitrations and mediations. He has handled allegations of employment discrimination, sexual assault, sexual harassment, violations of ERISA, employee piracy, breach of covenants against competition and misappropriation of proprietary and confidential information, violations of wage payment statutes and the FLSA, OSHA, breach of employment contracts, defamation, whistle-blower claims and discharges in violation of public policy.
Mr. Wetchler is actively involved in the negotiation and development of executive employment contracts as well as non-competition and anti-piracy agreements and programs. He designs and implements voluntary and involuntary reduction-in-force programs and works with clients, when appropriate, to develop programs requiring employees to arbitrate, rather than to litigate, their employment claims.
Mr. Wetchler trains executives in managing employment-related issues and has made numerous presentations to industry groups, including the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, the Association of Legal Administrators and the National Business Institute, about the implementation of practices and programs to meet business goals and reduce potential claims.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Employee Benefits
- Trend Integration, LLC
Vice President and General Counsel, 2009-2010
- WolfBlock LLP
- Scott Paper Co.
- Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoades
- Gulf Oil Corporation
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Author, "Pa. Superior Court Reiterates That Employers Have to Provide Additional Consideration When Obtaining Noncompete Agreements with Current Employees," Duane Morris Alert, May 20, 2014
- Co-Author, Civil Enforcement chapter, ERISA-A Comprehensive Guide, John Wiley & Sons, 2011
- "Avoiding Sex Discrimination Litigation and Defending Sex Discrimination Suits," chapter, Sex Discrimination in the Workplace: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, Wiley-Blackwell, June 2007
- "Managing Exposure to Class Action Employment Discrimination Claims: Statistical Audits of Human Resources Practices," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, April 2007
- "Retaliation! What the Supreme Court Said in Burlington Northern v. White, And What Employers Should Do About It," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, August 2006
- "Protecting Your Business: Covenants Against Competition," Pennsylvania Chamber of Labor and Industry, April 2003
- "The Supreme Court Ruling in Toyota Turns Interactive Process on its Head," BNA's Americans With Disabilities Act Manual, July 11, 2002
- "Moral Dilemmas, the ADA and the Sergeant Schultz Defense," BNA's Americans With Disabilities Act Manual, March 14, 2002
- "Agreement to Arbitrate," HR Magazine, August 2001
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2014, Philadelphia, May 8, 2014
- Pennsylvania Chamber of Labor and Industry: Numerous presentations on topics including tactics for avoiding employment discrimination claims, voluntary and involuntary reductions in force, employee discipline and discharge, FMLA compliance, COBRA, OSHA compliance, and handling OSHA Inspections
- Speaker, ""HR Records Retention Requirements, Including Electronic Recordkeeping Legal Do's and Don'ts," Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry's HR Roundtable, King of Prussia, PA, April 26, 2012
- "Legal Issues in Drafting and Enforcing Key Employee Contracts," Pennsylvania Bar Institute 13th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2007
- National Business Institute: Presentations including Selecting and Terminating Employees in Pennsylvania, and Selecting and Terminating Employees in Delaware