Mark A. Bradford focuses his practice on financial services and reinsurance. He routinely advises on financial technology; the E-Sign Act; Truth in Lending; UDAAP; non-deceptive financial and insurance advertising; regulatory issues related to the extension of credit; admissions, registration and licensing; solvency; financial regulations pertaining to personally identifiable information (Reg. P.); professional liability matters; and claims by and against receivers. Mr. Bradford maintains an active regulatory litigation practice and has favorably resolved matters and prevailed on behalf of his clients in federal and state courts as well as prevailing upon regulatory bodies throughout the United States. He has successfully opposed and pursued claims adverse to state and federal regulators in their capacity as the receiver of an insolvent financial institution or insurance company.
Mr. Bradford also maintains an active commercial litigation practice and has successfully handled commercial disputes in state and federal courts throughout Illinois. He regularly appears in matters in the Circuit Court of Cook County and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Mr. Bradford advises a number of private and closely held businesses and has experience defending these businesses as well as litigating private and closely held business disputes including claims for breach of fiduciary duty, to expel members and for an accounting.
Mr. Bradford is a 2004 summa cum laude graduate of the University of Illinois College of Law, where he was Symposium Editor for the University of Illinois Law Review and elected to the Order of the Coif, and a 2001 graduate of the University of Illinois.
Areas of Practice
- Financial Services
- Financial and Insurance Regulation
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Represented state and nationally chartered banks in shared-loss disputes adverse to the FDIC in its capacity as receiver for multiple insolvent financial institutions.
- Represented major reinsurance company in disputed claims with state regulators in their capacity as receiver for multiple insolvent insurance companies.
- Advised a publicly traded bank on regulatory aspects pertaining to rebranding, marketing and co-branding with the bank's subsidiary financial service companies.
- Delivered advisory memorandum on issues related to lender credit during regulatory examination under the Community Reinvestment Act as part of financing package for multimillion dollar urban redevelopment project.
- Delivered advisory memorandum on anti-money laundering, FATCA and other compliance issues on behalf of foreign bank seeking correspondent relationship.
- Advised multiple for-profit educational institutions on issues related to state licensure and registration.
- Advised multiple for-profit educational institutions on issues related to retail installment financing.
- Advised financial services business on corporate structure and issues related to potential alter-ego liability.
- Developed E-Sign Act disclosures and advised client on implementation of related management procedures.
- Advised clients on issues related to maintenance and utilization of personally identifiable information under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and Regulation P.
- Advised client on Electronic Fund Transfer Act as amended by Dodd-Frank Act and implemented through Regulation E.
- Prepared marketing disclosures for insurance brokers and registered investment advisors.
- Reinsurance billings from receivers and liquidators.
- Reinsurance commutations.
- First chaired federal jury trial, obtained zero liability verdict and successfully petitioned for a post-trial award of fees on behalf of owner of closely held business.
- First chaired bench trial on contract claim and obtained judgment better than final pre-trial offer.
- First chaired federal evidentiary hearing and obtained sanctions on behalf of client against lawyer who filed frivolous racketeering complaint.
- Successfully defended directors of community bank in federal lawsuit brought by the FDIC in its capacity as receiver of failed financial institution.
- Pursued and resolved expulsion claim on behalf of minority interest holder in limited liability company against married couple holding majority interest.
- Member of victorious trial team that obtained zero liability award against multi-million claim pursued by bankruptcy trustee.
- Represented major reinsurance company in defense and resolution of class actions.
- Favorably represented numerous investors as well as majority and minority interest holders in closely held business disputes.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2004
- Symposium Editor, University of Illinois Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- University of Illinois, B.S., 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2014-present
- DLA Piper
- Senior Associate, 2008-2014
- Locke, Lord, Bissell & Liddell LLP
- Associate, 2004-2008
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016
- Selected as an Emerging Lawyer, Emerging Lawyers, 2015
- The Lawyers Club of Chicago
- Immediate-Past President, 2015-2016
- President, 2014-2015
- Secretary-Treasurer, 2013-2014
- Board of Directors, 2012-present
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Chicago Legal Prep Mentorship Program
- Team Coordinator, 2012-2014
- University of Illinois Law Alumni Association
- President, 2007-2012