Mauro M. Wolfe
- Duane Morris LLP
New York, NY 10036-4086
Phone: +1 212 692 1017
Fax: +1 212 208 6861
Mauro M. Wolfe practices in the area of litigation, with a focus on domestic and international white-collar matters before the U.S. DOJ, the U.S. SEC, the N.Y. Department of Financial Services, various federal agencies, various state Attorneys General and local prosecutors, with an emphasis on the finance industry; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance and investigations; complex civil and administrative litigation; and internal corporate investigations. Mr. Wolfe has represented U.S. and foreign corporations, corporate executives, government officials and others in a broad range of white-collar and compliance matters. He is also a member of the firm's Cuba Business Group. Mr. Wolfe is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell in the areas of Criminal Law, White Collar Crime and Litigation. Mr. Wolfe is listed in editions of New York Super Lawyers - Metro in the area of Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2012-2014. He is an Officer for the International Bar Association Criminal Committee and was a past National Subcommittee Co-chair on White Collar & Corporate Investigations for the American Bar Association Securities Litigation Committee. Mr. Wolfe was named to the "Legal Elite 2015 - Best for International White-Collar Criminal Defense - New York" by Corporate America magazine.
Mr. Wolfe has been a member of the highly selective and prestigious New York Council of Defense Lawyers, an organization comprising the most well-regarded white collar practitioners in New York since 2009.
Mr. Wolfe served as the Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Securities and Healthcare Fraud Unit in Newark, N.J. Prior to that, he was the Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, where he worked in the Criminal Division, Major Frauds Unit. Earlier in his career, Mr. Wolfe served as a senior attorney in the Enforcement Division of the SEC's Philadelphia District Office and as an assistant district attorney for the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office, Narcotics Division.
Mr. Wolfe has extensive experience working with various U.S. and international law-enforcement agencies and securities regulators. Most recently, Mr. Wolfe has handled bet-the-company matters involving LatAm, African, and Asian companies before US law enforcement authorities.
Mr. Wolfe has been involved in several high profile matters over his career. He has been sourced, quoted, and pictured in various news media including The New York Times, The National Law Journal, Bloomberg, Associated Press, Barron's, Philadelphia Daily News, The Star-Ledger, The New York Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Wall Street Journal Blog, CNET News.com, and many others.
Mr. Wolfe is widely recognized as a trusted advisor to companies and leaders who seek exceptional strategic advice related to their most important objectives and goals around the world. He is particularly focused on private equity and hedge funds compliance, regulatory matters and enforcement defense, and related litigation. Leveraging a highly cultivated global network, he consistently provides great value to clients and their business interests through providing global innovative legal solutions, or connecting clients to capital, expertise, or deal opportunities worldwide.
In 2013, Indiana University of Pennsylvania honored Mr. Wolfe as an inductee of its Eberly College of Business and Information Technology Hall of Distinction.
Mr. Wolfe is a 1996 graduate of Temple University Beasley School of Law and a graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended US publicly traded LatAm company subject to US criminal investigation for immigration fraud resulting in a written declination from federal prosecutors and saving the client tens of millions in investigation fees.
- Defending major accounting firm before the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Defending trader in Asia before the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the New York Mercantile Exchange.
- Representing 3 major New York institutions involved in matters before the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Successfully prosecuted civilly title 28 Section 1782 US Discovery in Aid of Foreign Proceeding for clients in Cayman Islands resulting, after depositions and production of documents, a favor settlement.
- Successfully defended trader in U.S. and Foreign joint LIBOR investigation resulting in no action.
- Successfully defended former employee of major consulting firm from SEC insider trading investigation resulting in no action.
- Successfully defended publicly traded fashion/apparel company in connection to FINRA insider trading inquiry.
- Defending First Degree Murder indictment against wrongfully accused client in Middlesex County, New Jersey.
- Successfully defended a senior finance employee of publicly traded company who is a target of a SEC insider trading investigation resulting in no action taken by the New York Regional Office of the SEC.
- Successfully defended client physician subject to an ongoing multiple state medical board inquiries and ongoing criminal investigation with no action against him.
- Defended client physician witness in ongoing DOJ criminal investigation.
- Successfully defended international medical device company in connection to an off-label marketing investigation by a DOJ Health Care Fraud unit with no action against the company.
- Defended Philadelphia-based Broker Dealer from FINRA examination and following on the record interviews.
- Completed risk assessment and creation of comprehensive global anti-corruption compliance program for $3 billion foreign company with operations in over 60 countries.
- Defending three clients in a high risk continent with regards to allegations of potential violations of the FCPA.
- Successfully defended global UK company related to FCPA and Bribery Act 2010 matters worldwide resulting in no charges.
- Conducted global FCPA risk assessment for leading software technology client with significant operations in Asia.
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Areas of Practice
- Securities Enforcement
- Complex Civil and Administrative Litigation
- Internal Corporate Investigations
- Data Security and Privacy
- White-Collar Criminal Law
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance, due diligence, investigations, and defense
- New York
- New Jersey
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1990
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2011-present
- U.S. Attorney's Office District of New Jersey
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Securities and Health Care Fraud Unit, 2003-2006
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, 2001-2003
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Senior Attorney, Enforcement Division, 1999-2003
- Philadelphia District Attorney's Office
- Assistant District Attorney, Narcotics, 1997-1999
- Website Officer, International Bar Association Criminal Law Committee
- American Bar Association Securities Litigation Committee
- National Co-chair, Subcommittee on White Collar & Corporate Investigations, 2013-2014
- New York Council of Defense Lawyers
- Co-founder, Hispanic Lawyers Society of New York (2007)
- Member of Steering Committee for the U.S. Attorney's Office District of New Jersey Alumni Association
- Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni
- Member, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Honors and Awards
- Named to Corporate America's Legal Elite 2015 - Best for International White-Collar Criminal Defense - New York
- Named to Council of Urban Professionals' CUP Catalysts: Change Agents 2013 | Law, 2013
- Inducted into Indiana University of Pennsylvania's Eberly College of Business and Information Technology Hall of Distinction, 2013
- Listed in New York Super Lawyers, 2012-2015
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- LatinoJustice PRLDEF, Chairman, Nominations Committee
- Contributor, Duane Morris White Collar Criminal Law Blog
- Author, "U.S. Department of Justice Announces New FCPA Pilot Program Designed to Encourage Companies to Self-Report Bribery," Duane Morris Alert, April 7, 2016
- Co-author, "SEC Targets Investment Adviser Community," Duane Morris Alert, November 12, 2013; Republished by Journal of Investment Compliance, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2014
- Co-author, "HFT Spoof That Wasn't Funny," Compliance Monitor, September 2013
- Co-author, "Serious Fraud Office Issues Draft Code of Practice on Deferred Prosecution Agreements," Duane Morris Alert, July 3, 2013
- Co-author, "Unprecedented FCPA Wake-Up Call for U.S. Broker-Dealers and Foreign Banks: Has the Perfect FCPA Storm Finally Arrived for U.S. Financial Markets?" Duane Morris Alert, May 14, 2013
- Co-author, "Use It or Lose It: U.S. Supreme Court Holds the SEC Must Bring Civil Enforcement Actions Within Five Years of Wrongful Conduct," Duane Morris Alert, February 28, 2013
- Co-author, "Tougher Revised UK Bribery Act Policies," The Corporate Counselor, December 2012
- Co-author, "Serious Fraud Office Issues Tougher Revised UK Bribery Act Policies," Duane Morris Alert, October 9, 2012
- Co-author, "Non-Compliance with U.S. Anticorruption Law: Are You Losing Millions in Company Value?" Asian-Mena Counsel, May 2012
- Quoted in "SEC Defense Lawyers Well-Advised to Consider Criminal Exposure Early On" by Phyllis Diamond, BNA's Securities Regulation and Law Report, March 7, 2011
- Author, "Does the U.S. Have Limitless Jurisdiction Enforcing the FCPA?" IBA Criminal Law Section News, May 2010
- Co-author, "Lost Laptop: Eight Steps to Avoid a Disaster," Bloomberg Law Reports: Risk & Compliance, December 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "African Fellowship Program 2015: Liberia," Widener University Delaware Law School, August 25-27, 2015
- Speaker, "Regulatory Risks for Private Equity Funds When Expanding Abroad," Dealmaker Series, BDO, August 6, 2015
- Panelist, "Whistleblowing: The Process, Benefits and Pitfalls," MetroLALSA 5th Annual Pa'lante Conference, New York City, New York, April 18, 2015
- Speaker, "What's Your Plan? Responding to Government Investigations," Driven Speaker Series, New York, November 17, 2014
- Speaker, "Death at the Hands of the State" and "The Unusual Suspects: The In-House Counsel, Compliance Officer and External Counsel as Criminal Accused," International Bar Association's Annual Conference, Tokyo, October 19-24, 2014
- Speaker, "Assembling the Pieces: Assessing Roles and Responsibilities in Producing Effective and Responsive Internal Investigations Team," New York Law Journal Webinar, November 18, 2013
- Speaker, "The Use of Private Investigators, Experts and Forensic Accountants," International Bar Association (IBA) Transnational Crime Conference, Miami, May 17, 2013
- Moderator, "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: What You Need to Know About SEC and DOJ Enforcement," 2013 Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) Midyear Corporate Counsel Conference, Atlanta, March 15, 2013
- Speaker, "Ethics and Anti-Corruption Enforcement," Practising Law Institute's Seminar on Doing Deals in and with Emerging Markets: BRIC and Beyond 2012, New York City, July 12, 2012
- Panelist, "White Collar Crimes: Recent Cases / Internal Investigations," 2012 Hispanic National Bar Association 3rd Annual Midyear Corporate Counsel Conference, Jersey City, New Jersey, March 30, 2012
- Speaker, "Building Winning White-Collar Cases," University of Maryland, Robert H. Smith School of Business, Forensic Accounting course, Annapolis, Maryland, June 18, 2011
- Speaker, "Real-life Impact of United States v. Booker on Sentencing and Plea Negotiations," U.S. Attorney's Office (USAO) – District of New Jersey and New Jersey USAO Alumni Association CLE, Newark, New Jersey, May 15, 2011
- Speaker, "Updates in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," ABA's Sections of Litigation and Criminal Justice Joint Annual Conference, Miami, April 15, 2011
- Guest Speaker, "Understanding the FCPA from the EU Perspective," audience of EU partners for major accounting firm, November 2, 2009
- Guest Speaker, "Understanding Corporate Internal Investigation Challenges," University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 19, 2009
- Panelist, "International Crisis Management and Internal Investigations," International Corporate Practice Ethical and Legal Considerations, Penn Club, New York City, January 31, 2008
- Speaker, "Government Investigations That Focus on In-House Attorneys: When in Doubt, Blame the Lawyers," Minority Corporate Counsel Association 2008 Seventh Annual CLE Expo, March 26-28, 2008