Richard A. Silfen practices in the area of corporate law with concentrations in capital markets, securities, and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Silfen advises publicly traded companies in connection with public and private debt and equity securities offerings. He also advises companies with regard to mergers and acquisition transactions. Mr. Silfen also advises clients in connection with private equity investments in publicly traded and privately owned issuers, senior, high-yield, mezzanine and other debt issuances using complex structures and restructurings of multi-layer debt.
In addition, Mr. Silfen assists emerging and other businesses to develop plans for the growth and development of their businesses and technologies, including financing transactions, collaborative and strategic partnerships, and joint venture arrangements. Mr. Silfen also works with clients to facilitate public reporting and analysis of operating results, advises on internal audit functions and other Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and works with clients to support and enhance strategies for communication with security analysts and investors.
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business has included Mr. Silfen in its editions since 2009 as one of the leading corporate lawyers in Pennsylvania for his advice on M&A, private equity and securities matters. Mr. Silfen has been included in two corporate categories for Chambers listings: Corporate/M&A & Private Equity and Corporate/M&A: Securities. Chambers says that Mr. Silfen is described as "a very smart lawyer." He advises on M&A, private equity and securities matters.
Mr. Silfen is a 1987 graduate of the University of Alabama School of Law and a graduate of Baylor University.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Securities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Law
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Baylor University, B.A., 1983
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-2014, 2015-present
- American Realty Capital Properties, Inc.
- Executive Vice President and General Counsel, 2014-2015
- Cangen Biotechnologies, Inc.
- President and Chief Financial Officer, 2004-2006
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Partner, 2000-2004
- Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen LLP
- Vice Chairman, Corporate Department, 1999-2000
- Partner, 1996-2000
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2011-2012
- GMH Communities Trust (sold in two separate transactions to American Campus Communities, Inc. (NYSE: ACC) and Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY) in 2008.)
- Chairman, Nominating and Governance Committee of Board of Trustees
- Chairman, Special Committee of the Board of Trustees, 2006
- Chairman, Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board of Trustees, 2004-2008
- Member, Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees, 2004-2008
- Co-author, "Guide to Publicly Offered Private Placements Under New Rule 506(c)," Duane Morris Alert, September 26, 2013
- Co-author, "NASDAQ Proposes Listing Rules Relating to Compensation Committees," Duane Morris Alert, October 12, 2012
- Co-author, "NYSE Proposes Listing Standards Relating to Compensation Committee Member Independence and Compensation Committee Advisers," Duane Morris Alert, October 2, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Rule Proposal Would Permit Public Offerings in "Private Placements" and Facilitate Capital Formation," Duane Morris Alert, September 13, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Rule on Disclosure of Payments by Resource Extraction Issuers," Duane Morris Alert, August 30, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Rule on Disclosure of Use of Conflict Minerals," Duane Morris Alert, August 29, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Rules on Independence of Compensation Committees and Compensation Advisers; New Listing Standards to Be Proposed by September 25, 2012," Duane Morris Alert, June 27, 2012
- Co-author, "JOBS Act Enacted, Imposes Substantial Deregulation on the Mechanics of Securities Offerings," Duane Morris Alert, April 13, 2012
- Author, "Due Diligence Review of Internal Controls: Focusing Beyond the Numbers," Deal Lawyers, November-December 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Navigating Today's REIT Terrain: What Lies Ahead?," Global REIT Summit 2013, New York City, October 2, 2013
- Speaker, "Accounting Issues," RR Donnelley's SEC Hot Topics Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 21, 2011
- Moderator, "Biotech Perspective's on Key Considerations for Structuring a Winning Deal" panel, Pharmaceutical Collaboration and Transaction Accounting Conference, September 18, 2007
- Speaker,"Internal Controls: The Latest Developments," Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals Mid-Atlantic Chapter – Annual Meeting Program, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 21, 2007