Valentine A. Brown is a partner at Duane Morris LLP in the Employment, Labor, Benefits and Immigration Practice Group and is the Firm's Pro Bono Counsel. She serves as global immigration law counsel to a diverse group of multi-national and domestic corporations and their employees, providing advice, compliance audits and representation to help navigate the intricacies of US and foreign immigration laws. Ms. Brown also represents individuals in all types of immigration proceedings, including persons of extraordinary ability; spouses, fiancées and children of US citizens; naturalization and political asylum applicants; as well as respondents in deportation and immigration appellate proceedings.
Ms. Brown is an instructor for the Duane Morris Institute, which provides training in all areas of employment law for human resource professionals, in house counsel, benefits administrators and managers through classes in Philadelphia, client-site trainings and webinars. Ms. Brown's courses include, I-9 Compliance Basics; E-Verify for Everyone; E-Verify for Federal Contractors, Electronic I-9s: The Pros, the Cons and the Requirements; and H-1B Public Access Files: What Employers Need to Know.
Ms. Brown is a former law clerk to the Honorable John. J. Gossart, Executive Office for Immigration Review, Baltimore, Maryland, a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law and a graduate of the University of Delaware. She is fluent in Spanish.
Ms. Brown's practice focuses on:
- Inbound and Outbound Temporary Visa Petitions: Inbound U.S. Business Visitors (B); Investors (E); Specialty Workers (H-1B); Temporary Workers (H-2B); Trainees (H-3); Intra-company Transferees (L); Extraordinary Ability (O); Athletes and Entertainers (P); Religious Workers (R), Canadian and Mexican Professionals (TN). In reference to Outbound Visas, Ms. Brown works with expert local counsel in the outbound country to facilitate and streamline the visa process.
- Permanent Residency Applications: Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Researchers and Professors; Multinational Managers (EB-1) National Interest Waiver and Advanced Degree Professionals (EB-2); Skilled Workers and Professionals (EB-3) PERM Labor Certifications; Family Based Petitions in all categories, waivers and consular processing.
- Corporate Immigration Compliance: I-9 Policies, compliance programs, training, audits, ICE investigations; E-Verify advice and counsel, training, compliance programs and risk/benefit analysis; electronic I-9 vendor reviews, training, implementation analysis and project management; sub-contractor certifications; merger and acquisition immigration compliance review, remediation and risk analysis.
- Immigration Litigation: Representation of corporations in I-9 and immigration-related discrimination enforcement actions; representation of individuals in removal proceedings before the EOIR, BIA and federal courts of appeals.
- Obtained through the Immigration IMPACT pro bono project lawful permanent residency for a domestic violence survivor, originally from Haiti, under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
- Reviewed I-9 Forms, employment eligibility policies and compliance as well as identified potential I-9 liabilities for Brace Industrial Group LP., a Houston-based industrial services roll-up, in its acquisition of Basic Industries, LLC, an industrial services company, for approximately $33 million.
- Counsel to Philadelphia-area restaurant chain during ongoing I-9 audit and investigation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
- Counsel to Fortune 500 multinational corporation for all immigration matters, including outbound and inbound visas, immigration compliance, and training.
- Counsel to electric utility for all temporary and permanent visa matters, immigration compliance, and training.
- Counsel to hospital seeking H-1B visa for non-ECFMG physician. Proved that physician was of international acclaim and obtained approval of visa.
- Leia v. Ashcroft, 393 F.3d 427 (3d Cir. 2005)—Lead trial and appellate counsel on behalf of Ukrainian national seeking political asylum in the United States on the basis of persecution due to ethnicity and political opinion. Secured ultimate approval of asylum application after the Third Circuit held that the decisions of the immigration judge and the Board of Immigration Appeals were contrary to law.
- Counsel to U.S. citizen in visa-revocation proceedings for spouse. Obtained reinstatement of immigrant visa petition (I-130) and subsequent approval of visa issuance by U.S. consulate abroad.
- Counsel to university for all immigration matters, including H-1B and TN visas, labor certifications and green cards. Resolved complex and difficult issues.
- Counsel to Philadelphia painting atelier in application for recognition by U.S. government as designated entity for issuance of M-1 student visas. Prosecuted application, resulting in foreign students now being admitted for study.
- Counsel to professional pianist in early stages of her career. Demonstrated extraordinary ability and obtained approval of change to legal permanent residence from F-1 student visa.
- Counsel to nationwide eyewear retailer for all immigration matters, including H-1B visas, labor certifications and green cards. Handled multistate employment and recruitment issues.
- Counsel to a company in an I-9 audit by the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Federal Contract Compliance. Advised on self-audit procedures to avoid liability.
- Un v. Gonzales, 415 F.3d 205, 210–11 (1st Cir. 2005)—Lead appellate counsel on behalf of Cambodian national seeking political asylum on the basis of persecution due to imputed political opinion. Secured remand of asylum proceedings to the immigration judge on the basis of errors at the initial trial.
- Counsel to nationwide manufacturer considering voluntary participation in E-Verify. Provided cost-benefit analysis and advice on elements of compliance plan.
- Counsel to asylum seeker during appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Reopened default judgment and obtained remand to the Board of Immigration Appeals.
- Counsel to former spouse of U.S. citizen seeking good-faith waiver of joint-filing requirement for petition for removal of conditional residence (I-751).
- Counsel to U.S. citizen and spouse in visa (I-130) and unlawful-presence waiver applications (I-601) at U.S. consulate abroad. Resolved difficult evidentiary and discretionary issues.
- Counsel to Buddhist temple for all immigration matters, including R-1 religious worker visas, special immigrant visa petitions (I-360) and permanent residence (I-485).
- Counsel to multinational information technology company with offices in Wayne, Pa., and Hyderabad, India, for all immigration matters, including L-1, H-1B and E visas; permanent residence; and complex immigration issues.
- Counsel to U.S. citizen and spouse who was legal permanent resident in green-card rescission proceedings. Argued procedural defects in rescission notice and obtained termination of the proceedings.
- Obtained United States citizenship on behalf of a 67-year-old Liberian client who came to the United States after living in a Refugee Camp in the Republic of Guinea for more than a decade as a result of the Second Liberian Civil War.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1995
- University of Delaware, B.A., Languages, 1989
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2009-present
- WolfBlock LLP
- Partner and Immigration Practice Chair, 2008-2009
- Valentine Brown, LLC
- Managing Partner, 2000-2008
- Bauman, DeSeve & Landau
- Associate Attorney, 1997-2000
- Honorable John J. Gossart, Immigration Judge
- Law Clerk, 1994
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Co-Chair, Philadelphia Chapter Pro Bono Committee, 2009-Present
- Mentor, 2002-present
- Brazilian Organization for Social Services, 2007-2010
- Mexican American Association of Southern New Jersey, 2005-2008
- Pennsylvania Immigration & Citizenship Coalition, 2002-2004
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Philadelphia Chapter, Executive Committee, 1999-2003
Honors and Awards
- Referenced in Legal 500 U.S.- Leading Lawyers for Immigration 2015
- Listed in Philadelphia Super Lawyers, 2015
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Duane Morris Violence Against Women Pro Bono Practice Group - Founder and Supervising Attorney, 2010
- Philadelphia Futures, Inc., Sponsor a Scholar Program - Student Mentor, 2009-present
- Board of Immigration Appeals Pro Bono Project, Volunteer Attorney, 2001-present
- West End Memorial School, Woodbury, New Jersey, PTA- Treasurer, 2001-2004
- Woodbury Soccer Club, Woodbury, New Jersey - Treasurer, 1999-2001
- Coach & Team Manager, 1999-2004
- West Deptford Soccer Club, West Deptford, New Jersey - Coach, 2004-2006
- Featured in "Demand for Skilled-Worker Visas Exceed Annual Supply," The Wall Street Journal, April 7, 2015
- Co-author, " Long-Awaited Work Authorization Rule for H-4 Spouses Published February 24, 2015: First Day to File Applications Is May 26, 2015," Duane Morris Alert, February 25, 2015
- Author, "Possible Paths President Obama Can Take on Immigration," Law360, August 4, 2014
- Co-author, "DHS Proposes Rule for H-4 Employment Authorization," Duane Morris Alert, May 20, 2014
- Author, "The Infosys Setllement: Lessons for Corporations and Their Counsel," Bender's Immigration Bulletin, December 1, 2013
- Co-author, "Federal Government Shutdown Impacts Certain Immigration Processes," Duane Morris Alert, October 2, 2013
- "Immigration Impact: Recognizing and Reducing Liability in Corporate I-9 Procedures," Corporate Counselor, August 2013
- "Electronic I-94s Are Here: Key Information for Travelers and Employers," Duane Morris Alert, May 17, 2013
- "Public Works Contractors Now Required to Use E-Verify System in Pennsylvania," The Legal Intelligencer, April 9, 2013
- "New E-Verify Requirement for Pa. Public Works Contractors, Beginning January 1, 2013," Duane Morris Alert, July 9, 2012
- "Fiscal Year 2013 H-1B Cap Reached; EB-2 Retrogresses for All Countries," Duane Morris Alert, June 14, 2012
- "DOJ Ramps up Investigations of Discrimination During the I-9 Process," Advisen Management Liability Journal, April 2012
- "Pre I-9 Audit Planning: Prepare for the Worst and Hope for the Best," The I-9 and E-Verify Blog (sponsored by LawLogix), Part 1 February 21, 2012; Part II February 23, 2012
- "February Visa Bulletin, EB-2 for China and India Moves 12 Months and Other Immigration Law Updates," Duane Morris Alert, January 18, 2012
- Co-author, "EB-2 Visas for China and India Move Five Months and Other Immigration Law Updates," Duane Morris Alert, June 21, 2011
- "Is E-Verify Requirement Coming to Pennsylvania Employers?" The Legal Intelligencer, June 15, 2011
- "I-9 Audits: What Smart Companies Are Doing to Ensure They Stay on the Right Side of Labor Laws," Food Manufacturing, April 2011
- Co-author, "Immigration Fees Increase; November Cut-Off Dates See Little Movement," Duane Morris Alert, November 2, 2010
- Co-author, "USCIS's Fee Increases and Other Immigration Law Updates," Duane Morris Alert, September 13, 2010
- "Availability of EB-3 Visas and Other Developments in Immigration Law," Duane Morris Alert, October 20, 2009
- "E-Verify and No-Match Update: The Obama Administration Speaks," Duane Morris Alert, July 13, 2009
- Co-author, "Premium Processing of Certain I-140 Petitions to Resume on June 29, 2009," Duane Morris Alert, June 25, 2009
- "Stalling Safe Harbor Social Security No Match Suits," Employment Law 360, January 16, 2009
- "No Match Is Back: Employers Remain Adrift Without Safe Harbor," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, December 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2015, Philadelphia, May 14, 2015
- Speaker, "The Challenges and Opportunities of Global Mobility," The Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, Philadelphia, June 11, 2014
- Speaker, "Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2014, Philadelphia, May 8, 2014
- Speaker, "Immigration Compliance Update: I-9 Self Audits," Duane Morris Institute Webinar, February 15, 2012
- Panelist, "Immigration Audits in the Dragnet: Will Other Agencies Take Notice?" Duane Morris, San Francisco, November 10, 2010
- Speaker, "Immigration Compliance Update for New Jersey Employers," Duane Morris' New Jersey Employment Law Update, Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, October 14, 2010
- Presenter, "L and E Visas – Entrepreneurs, Executives, Managers, Specialized Knowledge, Essential and Specialty Occupation Workers," 2010 Immigration Law Forum, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, September 21, 2010
- Speaker, "Capitalizing on Allied Treatment: Special Treatment for Certain Countries," American Immigration Lawyers Association annual conference, National Harbor, Maryland, June 30-July 3, 2010
- Presenter, Seminar on I-9 and E-Verify Compliance, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, June 26, 2010
- Speaker, "The Knock at Your Door: How Are Your I-9s?" Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2010, Chicago, May 4, 2010
- Speaker, "New I-9 and E-Verify Initiatives and Changes to the H-1B program," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2010, Philadelphia, April 29, 2010
- Presenter, "Life After Graduation Workshop," Burlington County College, Mount Laurel, N.J., April 1, 2010
- Speaker, AILA Philadelphia Chapter, "Falling out of Love: Representing Conditional Residents When Life Doesn't Go as Planned, and Other I-751 Oddities," March 12, 2010
- Panelist, AILA Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2005
- Panelist, Pennsylvania Bar Institute Immigration Update, 2002-2006
- Panelist, AILA Philadelphia Chapter Conferences, 2000-2006
- Panelist, Gloucester County Bar Association, 2005, 2007
- Panelist, AILA Midyear Conference, Cancun, Mexico, 2003
- Panelist, AILA Basics Conference, Boston, 2000