Brian N. Biglin practices in Duane Morris' Trial Practice Group. Mr. Biglin has experience in federal and state court practice, as well as international arbitration. Among other things, Mr. Biglin is active in the firm's Media and First Amendment practice and White-Collar and Criminal Defense practice.
Mr. Biglin served as law clerk to the Hon. Kevin McNulty, United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey. In 2018, Mr. Biglin received the Duane Morris Pro Bono Award, presented annually to honor the outstanding service of an attorney who exemplifies the firm's commitment to pro bono service and has made a significant impact on an individual or community.
Mr. Biglin is a 2011 cum laude graduate of Rutgers Law School in Newark, where he was senior articles editor for the Rutgers Law Review and elected to the Order of the Coif, and a graduate of the University of Michigan.
- Representing individual jailed for non-threatening social media post critical of ex-husband in Section 1983 suit against two sheriff’s deputies, including ex-husband.
- Successfully argued the ‘Crime or Fraud’ Exception to Attorney-Client privilege to obtain communications of a defendant which would otherwise be deemed privileged.
- Representing plaintiffs in suit alleging fraud upon the court and cross-border conspiracy to attach real estate through such fraud.
- Representing man arrested solely for wearing a mask to express himself in peaceful protests following Ferguson, Missouri police shooting.
- Representing elected official in Section 1983 suit against city, police officers, and fellow board member arising from unlawful arrest based solely on alleged use of profanity during recess of contentious board meeting. Suit includes claims of conspiracy, violation of open meetings statute, and multiple constitutional violations.
- Represented plaintiff in declaratory judgment action seeking declaration regarding scope of federal Stored Communications Act in connection with claim of unlawful access to social media posts.
- Obtained a court order vacating and expunging all prostitution-related criminal records under N.J. Rev. Stat. § 2C:44-1.1 on behalf of a survivor of human trafficking.
- Obtained settlement after filing Section 1983 and tort claims on behalf of disabled man injured by county jail’s inhumane medical treatment and failure to provide basic disabled accessibility features.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing arbitration action on basis that dispute was previously settled by the parties and that claimant sought to impose an unlawful non-compete agreement.
- Secured dismissal of subrogated tort and contract claims brought against Delaware small business by major insurer seeking recovery in New Jersey Superior Court, successfully establishing lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained emergency vacatur of New Jersey Superior Court order ejecting elderly Newarker from her home, and ultimate dismissal of improper ejectment action.
- Representing Afghan man who assisted the United States Marines as a tactical interpreter during intense warfare in application for a Special Immigrant Visa, in conjunction with the International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) and Rutgers Law School.
- Represented parolee in parole revocation hearing, establishing facts sufficient to garner timely reinstatement of parole and release from jail.
- Assisted preparation of successful appeal, before Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, reversing trial verdict by establishing that clients’ insurer issued an ambiguous policy.
Areas of Practice
- Media and First Amendment
- White Collar and Criminal Defense
- Federal Litigation
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Rutgers Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- University of Michigan, A.B., Economics, 2008
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Sills Cummis & Gross P.C.
- Associate, 2011-2013, 2014-2015
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Kevin McNulty, 2013-2014
Immediate Past President, Rutgers Law School - Newark Alumni Association (2018-present)
President, Rutgers Law School - Newark Alumni Association (2017-2018)
Member, Dean Selection Committee, Rutgers Law School (2017-2018)
Board Member, Volunteer Lawyers for Justice – NextGen Board (2019-present)
Honors and Awards
Recipient of New Jersey State Bar Association Pro Bono Award for New Attorney, 2018
Recipient of Duane Morris Pro Bono Award, 2018
Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2017-2019
No aspect of these rankings has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
Quoted, "NJSBA Pro Bono Awards Recognize Lawyers Who Serve the Underserved and Vulnerable," New Jersey Law Journal, October 8, 2018
- "The Reporter's Privilege and Its Uncertain Boundaries in the National Security Context," New Jersey Lawyer, June 2017
- "The Streetcar Dilemma: Preventing Incurable Harm Through Timely Enforcement of the Antitrust Laws," 65 Rutgers L. Rev. Commentaries 38, 2013
- "Mandate or Myth: Is There a 'Heightened Standard' For Redevelopment Area Designations, And If So, From Where Does it Come?" 39 Rutgers L. Rec. 116, 2012
- "More Affordable Housing, But Where, and for Whom?" 9 Cornell Real Estate Rev., 48, 2011 (2011 ING Most Outstanding Article)
- Note, "Toward Successful Urban Revitalization: Why New Jersey Should Relinquish Some of its Berman Power to Bulldoze for 'Redevelopment,'" 63 Rutgers L. Rev. 275, 2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "Rutgers Law School Newark Alumni Recognition Gala," Maplewood, New Jersey, November 1, 2018
Speaker, "Award Recipient Remarks," New Jersey State Bar Association Pro Bono Committee Meeting and Award, New Brunswick, New Jersey, October 24, 2018
CLE Panelist, "Duane Morris Pro Bono Group Presentation on Litigating Prisoners’ Civil Rights Claims," Newark, New Jersey, October 16, 2018
CLE Panelist, "Duane Morris Commercial, Securities and Antitrust Litigation Group Presentation on Lawyer Ethics and Social Media," Newark, New Jersey, September 26, 2018
Speaker, "Presenter of Distinguished Service Award to Hon. Ronald K. Chen, outgoing Dean of Rutgers Law School," June 26, 2018, New York, New York
Speaker, "Alumni/ae Remarks," Rutgers Law School Commencement Ceremony, Newark, New Jersey, May 25, 2018
Speaker, "Minority Student Program 50th Anniversary Celebration," Rutgers Law School Newark, Newark, NJ, April 14, 2018
Speaker, "Rutgers Law School Newark Alumni Recognition Gala," Maplewood, New Jersey, November 1, 2017