Darrick M. Mix is head of the firm's Capital Markets group and is a member of the firm's governing Partners Board. Mr. Mix practices corporate law with concentrations in the areas of securities law, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. He has experience representing public and private companies in connection with their capital-raising activities, including public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities. Mr. Mix also advises companies with respect to SEC regulations, compliance issues and other corporate and securities law matters, such as public reporting, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and communications with analysts and investors. He has substantial experience representing public and private companies in selling and acquiring businesses His clients span a variety of industries, including biotech, industrials, retail, financial services and REITs.
Mr. Mix has been ranked in Chambers USA for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity. Mr. Mix is a member of the Title 15/Business Associations Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and brings to his clients a unique knowledge of Pennsylvania's corporation law.
Mr. Mix is a 1997 graduate, with honors, of the Ohio State University, Michael E. Moritz College of Law, and received a Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service Degree from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service.
Representing Hill International, Inc. (NYSE: HIL), a leading provider of construction project management services, in its sale to Global Infrastructure Solutions Inc., in a transaction with an equity value of $207 million.
Represented IQVIA Inc. (NYSE: IQV), a leading global provider of advanced analytics, technology solutions and clinical research services to the life sciences industry, in connection with its acquisition of all shares of capital stock of Cronos Clinical Consulting Services Inc., a leading global provider of specialty clinical service solutions with the goal of improving data quality in clinical trials.
Represented DuPont (NYSE: DD) in the sale of its Solamet business, which manufactures solar cell paste to deliver higher solar energy efficiency, to a private equity-sponsored business in China.
Represented Firmenich Inc., one of the world's largest producers of flavors and fragrances, in connection with its minority investment in a strategic target with an option to acquire the remainder of the company.
Represented financial services and investment firm Cohen & Company Inc. (NYSE American: COHN), as issuer, in its $75 million at-the-market offering, with Northland Capital Markets as sales agent.
Represented Virios Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: VIRI), a biotechnology company focused on advancing antiviral therapies to treat diseases associated with an abnormal immune response, such as fibromyalgia, in its initial public offering.
Represented Annovis Bio, Inc. (NYSE: ANVS), a pharmaceutical company focused on the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, in connection with its initial public offering.
Represented Annovis Bio, Inc. (NYSE: ANVS) in a $50 million underwritten offering of common stock.
Represented DuPont (NYSE: DD), a global innovation leader with technology-based materials, in its $110 million acquisition of Evoqua’s Memcor business, which includes ultrafiltration and membrane bio-filtration technologies.
Represented Immunome Inc. (Nasdaq: IMNM), a biopharmaceutical company utilizing its proprietary human memory B cell platform to discover and develop first-in-class antibody therapeutics. in its $75 million at-the-market offering, with Jefferies LLC as sales agent.
Represented Firmenich, Inc. in its acquisition of Senomyx, Inc. (Nasdaq: SNMX), a developer of innovative flavor ingredients and natural high intensity sweeteners for the packaged food, beverage and ingredient supply industries.
Represented Mannington Mills, a leading manufacturer of fine flooring, in its acquisition of Phenix Flooring and Pharr Fibers and Yarns, a leader in the flooring industry and pioneer in the solution-dyed arena, from Pharr USA.
- Represented certain investors in a $361 million investment into Covetrus, Inc., a spin out comprised of assets from Henry Schein, Inc. (a publicly traded company) and Vets First Choice (a private equity backed company), as part of a larger $1.5 billion transaction.
Represented Firmenich, Inc. in its acquisition of Natural Flavors, Inc., a producer of natural and organic flavor products.
Represented IQVIA Inc., a leading world-wide integrated information and technology-enabled healthcare service provider, in connection with the acquisition of 100 percent of the outstanding membership interests of Chemical Information Services, LLC, a private equity-backed-Dallas-based technology company that provides online databases for chemical and pharmaceutical companies.
Represented Firmenich, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Agilex Holdings, Inc., a portfolio company of New York-based private equity firm MidOcean Partners.
- Represented the special committee of the Board of Directors of JAVELIN Mortgage Investment Corp. (NYSE: JMI) in a merger agreement in which ARMOUR Residential REIT, Inc. (NYSE: ARR) will acquire JAVELIN, and its $900 million of assets, in a tender offer for cash consideration based on 87% of JAVELIN's book value per share.
- Advised Hill International (NYSE:HIL), a Philadelphia-based project management company, in the sale of its Construction Claims Group to UK-based private equity firm Bridgepoint Development Capital for $147 million.
Advised Firmenich Inc. on US diligence and regulatory matters in connection with its agreement to acquire Les Dérivés Résiniques et Terpéniques (DRT), a world leader in plant-based chemistry, and a leading global supplier of renewable ingredients, from private equity owners Ardian Buyout and Tikehau Capital and family shareholders.
- Represented SunPower (NASDAQ: SPWR), a solar energy company, in its $75 million strategic divestiture of its microinverter assets (including more than 140 patents) and SunPower’s long-term supply agreement with Enphase Energy (NASDAQ: ENPH).
- Represented Voxx International Corporation in its $20 million acquisition, through Newco, a Delaware LLC, of 54 percent of the assets of EyeLock, Inc., a Puerto Rico corporation, and EyeLock Corporation, a Delaware corporation, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of EyeLock, Inc.
- Represented Hill International Inc., a global leader in managing construction risk, in a $165 million debt refinancing transaction.
- Represented VEREIT, Inc. (NYSE: VER) a NYSE-traded REIT, in a merger transaction valued at $3.1 billion to acquire American Realty Capital Trust IV, Inc., a "non-traded" REIT. The combined company as a result of the merger had pro forma enterprise value of $10 billion.
- Represented National Securities Corporation, as underwriter and sole book running manager, in connection with the initial public offering by CBD Energy Limited, a diversified clean energy company and leading provider of solar installations worldwide.
- Represented VEREIT, Inc. (NYSE: VER) a NYSE-traded REIT, in a merger transaction valued at $3.2 billion to acquire American Realty Capital Trust III, Inc., a "non-traded" REIT. The combined company as a result of the merger had pro forma enterprise value of $10 billion.
- Represented Lehigh Gas Partners LP, a wholesale motor fuel distributor now known as CrossAmerica Partners LLP, in connection with its $138 million IPO.
- Represented a subsidiary of a French rail operator in a $12 million sale of its U.S. bus tour business.
- Represented Iroko Pharmaceuticals, LLC in connection with a $140 million secured loan facility with CRG, a healthcare investment fund, and the simultaneous pay-off of Iroko's loan facility with another lender.
- Represented a specialty chemical company, a portfolio company of a large private equity firm, in closing a $175 million credit facility, comprised of revolving credit, term loan, swing line and letters of credit sub-facilities. The credit agreement contained an accordion feature affording the client the right to increase the revolving credit facility size by $50 million. Also represented the company in its first “bolt-on” strategic acquisition with a transaction value of approximately $25 million.
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed retail department store company in a $1 billion acquisition and the related offering of $600 million in debt securities.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Securities Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Georgetown University, B.S.F.S., 1994
- The Ohio State University, Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1997
- American Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member of the Title 15/Business Associations Committee
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity
Rated as "Highly Regarded" for Capital Markets: Debt and Capital Markets:Equity by IFLR1000, 2018-2022
- Editor, Duane Morris Capital Markets Blog
- Co-author, "SEC Implements Long-Delayed 'Erroneously Awarded Compensation' Recovery Requirements for Exchange Act Issuers," Duane Morris Alert, November 28, 2022
- Co-author, "SEC Proposes Amendments Regarding Rule 10b5-1 Insider Trading Plans and Related Disclosures," Duane Morris Alert, December 31, 2021
- Co-author, "SEC Final Rules Amend Definitions of "Accredited Investor" and "Qualified Institutional Buyer"," The Real Estate Finance Journal, Winter 2020
- Co-author, "Proposed Nasdaq Rule Requires Public Disclosure of Board Diversity," Duane Morris Alert, December 9, 2020
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Amendments to Shareholder Proposal Rule," Duane Morris Alert, September 28, 2020
- Co-author, "SEC Final Rules Amend Definitions of 'Accredited Investor' and 'Qualified Institutional Buyer'," Duane Morris Alert, September 25, 2020
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Amendments to Proxy Rules on Proxy Voting Advice," Duane Morris Alert, July 30, 2020
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Amendments to Financial Disclosure Requirements for Acquisitions and Dispositions of Businesses," Duane Morris Alert, June 1, 2020
- Co-author, "Consider a Virtual Shareholder Annual Meeting During the COVID-19 Pandemic," Duane Morris Alert, March 17, 2020
Co-author, "SEC Simplifies and Modernizes Disclosure Requirements," Duane Morris Alert, April 29, 2019
- Co-author, "SEC Intensifies Scrutiny of Employment-Related Agreements," Duane Morris Alert, October 6, 2016
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Pay Ratio Disclosure Rules," Duane Morris Alert, September 2015
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts 'Regulation A+' Rules," Duane Morris Alert, April 10, 2015
- Co-author, "Guide to Publicly Offered Private Placements Under New Rule 506(c)," Duane Morris Alert, September 26, 2013
- Co-author, "NASDAQ Proposes Listing Rules Relating to Compensation Committees," Duane Morris Alert, October 12, 2012
- Co-author, "NYSE Proposes Listing Standards Relating to Compensation Committee Member Independence and Compensation Committee Advisers," Duane Morris Alert, October 2, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Rule Proposal Would Permit Public Offerings in "Private Placements" and Facilitate Capital Formation," Duane Morris Alert, September 13, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Rules on Independence of Compensation Committees and Compensation Advisers; New Listing Standards to Be Proposed by September 25, 2012," Duane Morris Alert, June 27, 2012
- Co-author, "JOBS Act Enacted, Imposes Substantial Deregulation on the Mechanics of Securities Offerings," Duane Morris Alert, April 13, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC Proposals for Compensation Committees and Compensation Advisers," Duane Morris Alert, April 25, 2011
- Quoted, "What Musk’s Purchase of Twitter Will Mean for the Company and Users," Washington Examiner, April 28, 2022
- Quoted, "What Musk Taking Twitter Private Would Entail — the Logistics and Obstacles," Washington Examiner, April 14, 2022
- Quoted, "Pennsylvania Powerhouse: Duane Morris," Law360, August 2, 2021
- Quoted, "Pennsylvania Powerhouse: Duane Morris," Law360, August 29, 2018
- Quoted, "More IPO Companies Are Pushing Securities Suits to Federal Court," The National Law Journal, May 14, 2018
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, "Climate Governance and the Board's Role in Managing Strategic Risk," National Association of Corporate Directors, October 18, 2022
- Speaker, "Best Practices for 10b5-1 Plans in 2021," Morgan Stanley Webinar, July 21, 2021
- Speaker, "16th Annual International Estate Planning Institute," New York State Bar Association, Webinar, October 8, 2020
- Panelist, "The Board’s Role in Mergers and Acquisitions," 2019 Drexel University Gupta Governance Institute, Drexel Lebow School of Business, Philadelphia, October 30, 2019
Moderator, "Succession Planning: Talent, Strategy and Risk," Philadelphia Chapter of NACD (National Association of Corporate Directors), The Union League of Philadelphia, September 10, 2019
- Panelist and Presenter, Federal Securities Law Forum, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, April 21, 2017
- Panelist and Presenter, Federal Securities Law Forum, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, April 15, 2016
- Panelist, "Crowdfunding for Life Sciences: A bridge over troubled waters?" Pharmaceutical Consulting Consortium, Inc., May 12, 2014
- Panelist, "Crowdfunding and Rule 506(c): Brave New Capital-Raising World," Pennsylvania Business Brokers Association, April 2, 2014
- Presenter, "Crowdfunding under the JOBS Act," Pennsylvania Bar Association, July 23, 2013