Christiane Schuman Campbell counsels clients on development, management, and protection of their most valuable assets: Their brands. Christi has worked hand-in-hand with some of the world’s most recognizable brands to develop strategies for brand development, clearance, protection, monetization, expansion, and enforcement. She partners with clients that range in size from start-ups to leading global franchises, in a wide array of industries, including fashion, jewelry, luxury, and consumer goods; alcohol; casinos and hospitality; franchise restaurants; medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and life sciences, including in the cannabis space; universities; and defense products. She is a trusted advisor and partner to larger clients’ in-house legal teams and regularly called upon to step into an in-house counsel role for smaller and start-up clients.
Christi has extensive experience with global protection and enforcement of brands, and has guided clients through intellectual property transactional and litigation matters throughout the U.S., before U.S. Federal Courts and before the TTAB in Inter Partes and Ex Parte proceedings, and before WIPO and the NAF in domain disputes under the UDRP. Outside the U.S., Christi has successfully enforced clients’ intellectual property rights in some of the most legally complex jurisdictions in the world, including in China, throughout the Middle East and Africa, and Cuba.
In the luxury and consumer goods space, Christi has extensive experience negotiating co-branding and license agreements, particularly with respect to brands using celebrity talent for branding and endorsements.
On the deal side, Christi has negotiated hotel management agreements and advised major hotel and casino operations with respect to branding and co-branding in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions including Singapore and Macao. She has guided clients through multi-billion-dollar IPO’s, and multi-million-dollar mergers and acquisitions where clients’ intellectual property portfolios were significant assets.
Christi also regularly acts as a consultant and advisor to branding and marketing companies that are supporting their own clients’ brand initiatives, by performing clearance and availability searches and offering advice that blends legal, business, and marketing advice.
Christi’s specific experience involves counseling clients in the following industries:
Restaurants, Casino Resorts, Hospitality
- Counsel to one of the world’s most recognizable quick service restaurant brands.
- Manage global brand prosecution and enforcement portfolio.
- Support client franchising activities.
- Worked with client to migrate and monetize IP assets through assignments, licenses, and franchise agreements.
- Served as counsel to one of the world’s preeminent casino resort hotel brands.
- Managed global brand prosecution and enforcement portfolio by providing big-picture strategic advice including enforcement of the brand before foreign courts and intellectual property offices.
- Coordinated migration of brand portfolio into foreign holdings companies and developed licenses and licensing structure to individual resorts and operators.
- Litigated cybersquatting disputes in federal court, resulting in multi-million-dollar judgments on behalf of client.
- Guided client through a $2.5 billion IPO where IP assets were a significant factor in valuation.
- Counsel to exclusive and high-end boutique hotels and resort property collections.
- Manage global brand prosecution and enforcement portfolios.
- Negotiated hotel management agreement for the operation of client hotel by premier U.S. hotel management company.
- Supported client through acquisition of existing resort properties and the branding of those properties in the U.S. and in South America.
Luxury Apparel and Jewelry
- Counsel to luxury swim, apparel, and accessories brand.
- Guided company through formation and selection, clearance, and adoption of a brand and expansion of that brand globally
- Manage global brand prosecution and enforcement portfolio
- Counsel to Globally-renowned jewelry and crystal brand
- Negotiated license terms between company and prominent design and fashion house.
- Counseled client, private equity investor, through due diligence phase of multi-million-dollar acquisition of celebrity licensed swim and clothing brands
- Counsel to renowned manufacturer and distributor of luxury tabletop goods
- Manage global brand prosecution and enforcement portfolio
- Counsels client with respect to licenses with major consumer brands and fashion houses
- Counsel to one of the world’s leading medical device and biologics companies.
- Manage global brand portfolio, including enforcement of the brand before foreign courts and intellectual property offices.
- Argued Inter Partes oppositions and cancellations and Ex Parte appeals before the TTAB, successfully securing and defending trademark registrations for devices and biologics in Classes 10 and 5.
Consumer and Household Goods
- Manage global brand portfolio for leading china and luxury tabletop company, including enforcement of the brand before foreign courts and intellectual property offices.
- Negotiated licenses and co-branding agreements between tabletop and luxury housewares companies and preeminent consumer brands, celebrity designer brands, and celebrity chef brands.
- Represent company’s brand in enforcement matters in the U.S. and abroad, including in Inter Partes and Ex Partes proceedings before the TTAB.
- Work closely with clients’ marketing groups to select, adopt, and commercialize new brands for new product lines, including trade show exhibitions and launches.
- Counsel distillery, brewery, wine-making and importing clients on branding, marketing, and advertising for alcohol brands, including on trademark prosecution and enforcement matters
- Advise clients on COLA submissions and geographic designation issues relative to alcohol brands and labels
- Advise clients on branding and licensing in the context of state-specific liquor control laws and tied-house provisions
- Served as counsel to world leading defense contractor, and advised on prosecution, expansion, and enforcement of global brand portfolio
- Represented client before the TTAB in Inter Partes and Ex Parte proceedings, including Inter Partes opposition argued before a TTAB Panel
- Assisted client with developing and implementing successful campaign to rescue client mark from threatened genericide
- Counsel clients on selection, clearance, adoption and protection of brands in the cannabis space at the state, federal, and domain name levels
- Coordinate with clients to develop brand enforcement programs, including enforcement against unauthorized use of brands on social media
- Advise clients as to federal and state-specific rules and regulations relative to trademark protection, licensing, packaging, advertising, and marketing in the cannabis space
- Eggspectation Restaurants, LLC v. Hinkle-Albert Enterprises, Civil Action No. 1:07-cv-583 (ED Virginia). Represented Defendant restaurant owners in trademark, trade dress and copyright infringement suit concerning the name of operated restaurants, and corresponding cancellation actions in the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Howmedica Osteonics Corp. et al v. Wright Medical Technology, Inc. et al, Civil Action No. 2-12-cv-06042 (D. New Jersey). Represented Defendant manufacturer of orthopedic and surgical implants and products in trademark infringement suit concerning a knee implant and its promotional campaign.
- Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company v. Radisson Hotels International, Inc. et al, Civil Action No. 1:11-cv-01159 (MD Pennsylvania). Represented Defendant hotel in trademark infringement suit concerning the name used in posters and displays.
- Wright Medical Technology, Inc. v. Arthrex, Inc., Civil Action No. 1:13-cv-00716 (D. Delaware). Represented Plaintiff manufacturer of orthopedic and surgical implants and products in trademark infringement suit concerning compression plates and compression screws used to treat midfoot regions.
- Exclusive Supplements, Inc. v. Abdelgawad et al, 2:12-cv-01652 (WD Pennsylvania). Represented Plaintiff manufacturer and distributor of nutritional supplements in trademark infringement suit concerning the marks “DEPLETE RAPID WEIGHT LOSS,” “COMPLETE MASS 600,” and “OPTIMUM HEALTH NUTRITION,” and corresponding cancellation actions before the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Elegant Moments, Inc. v. Elegant Moments Boutique LLC, 3:12-cv-1786 (MD Pennsylvania). Represented Plaintiff lingerie manufacturer and distributor in trademark infringement suit concerning a website name.
- Wound Care Strategies, Inc. v. Wound Care Centers, Inc., Civil Action No. 1:07-cv-1123 (MD Pennsylvania). Represented Plaintiff manufacturer and provider of wound care products and solutions in trademark infringement suit concerning the respective companies’ logos.
- Las Vegas Sands Corp. v. Rake, Civil Action No. 2:07-CV-001608 (D. Nevada). Represented Plaintiff casino resort developer and operator in ACPA (Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act) suit. Resulted in transfer of domain names and multi-million dollar judgment in favor of Plaintiff.
- Las Vegas Sands Corp. v. Balciunas, Civil Action No. 2:07-cv-01222 (D. Nevada). Represented Plaintiff casino resort developer and operator in ACPA (Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act) suit. Resulted in transfer of domain names and multi-million dollar judgment in favor of Plaintiff.
- Las Vegas Sands Corp. v. Murega, Civil Action No. 2:07-cv-01358 (D. Nevada). Represented Plaintiff casino resort developer and operator in ACPA (Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act) suit. Resulted in transfer of domain names and multi-million dollar judgment in favor of Plaintiff.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation v. Raytheon Company, TTAB Opposition No. 91174152. Represented Opposer defense contractor in successful opposition against registration of the generic term PAVEWAY. Opposition was heard before TTAB Panel.
- Next Generation Reporting, LLC v. Next Generation Reporting, LLC, TTAB Opposition No. 91191484. Represented Opposer court reporting services in successful opposition before the TTAB. This case was decided on summary judgment.
- Meritas, LLC. v. Immersion Ventures, Inc., TTAB Oppositions Nos. 91210835 and 91210837; Cancellations Nos. 92057456 and 92057468. Represented Opposer/Petitioner family of private day and boarding schools in successful opposition and cancellation actions before the TTAB.
- Lati Industria Termoplastici Spa v. Quadrant Chemplast (Pty) Ltd., TTAB Cancellation No. 92056285. Represented Registrant manufacturer and distributor of chemical and plastics products in successful defense of cancellation action against registration, before the TTAB.
- Wright Medical Technology, Inc. v. Merete Medical GmbH, TTAB Opposition No. 91198147. Represented Opposer manufacturer of orthopedic and surgical implants and products in successful opposition action before the TTAB.
- Alzcare, Inc. v. Alzheimer’s Care Home Referral Service LLC, TTAB Cancellation No. 92052809. Represented Petitioner Alzheimer’s care centers in successful cancellation action before the TTAB.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation and Hellfire Systems, LLC v. Maxum Games, LLC, TTAB Opposition No. 91175493. Represented Opposers defense contractor and missiles and fire control division in successful opposition before the TTAB.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation and Hellfire Systems, LLC v. Fueling R&D Inc., TTAB Opposition No. 91172142. Represented Opposers defense contractor and missiles and fire control division in successful opposition before the TTAB.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation v. Xenonics, Inc., TTAB Opposition No. 91190020. Represented Opposer defense contractor in successful opposition before the TTAB.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation v. Flight Safety Technologies, Inc., TTAB Opposition No. 91171324. Represented Opposer defense contractor in successful opposition before the TTAB.
- O.P. Schuman & Sons and AmeriPak v. Ameripak, LLC, TTAB Opposition No. 91175864. Represented Opposer precision machine builder and packaging systems manufacturer in successful opposition before the TTAB.
- University City Science Center v. Fries, TTAB Opposition No. 91171923. Represented Opposer scientific research and business development incubator in successful opposition before the TTAB.
- Sur La Table, Inc. v. Lenox, Incorporated, TTAB Cancellation No. 92046241. Represented Registrant manufacturer of fine china and tabletop goods in successful defense of cancellation action before the TTAB.
- Represented Polder Housewares and its affiliates in the sale of substantially all of their assets - including intellectual property assets - to a buyer which is majority owned by entities affiliated with Topspin Partners, a suburban New York based private equity fund.
- Represented Brace Industrial Group L.P., a Houston-based industrial services roll-up, in its acquisition of Basic Industries, LLC, an industrial services company, for approximately $33 million.
- Guided client casino resort developer and operator through intellectual property aspects of $2.5 billion initial public offering (IPO) on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, where trademark portfolio was among valued assets.
- Facilitated the sale of trademark portfolio of client, international agricultural and irrigation products manufacturer and distributor, to John Deere Water Technologies, a division of Deere & Co. and manufacturer of high-performance plastic micro and drip irrigation products, headquartered in San Marcos, California.
- Routinely guide clients through multi-million dollar financing and re-financing transactions where intellectual property assets are leveraged as collateral. This includes international due diligence, assignments (and security interests) and licensing of trademark assets in client portfolios.
- Guided client holding company for industrial shoes and related products in the sale of its trademark portfolio and business to existing shoe manufacturer and distributor.
- Manage international trademark portfolio for developer, operator, and franchisor of quick-service restaurants.
- Coordinate with in-house counsel on the management of international trademark portfolio for manufacturer of orthopedic and surgical implants and products.
- Managed international trademark portfolio of over 1,000 trademark files for publicly traded global defense contractor.
- Managed international trademark portfolio of over 1,000 trademark files for publicly traded casino and resort developer and operator.
- Manage international trademark portfolio for manufacturer of fine china and tabletop goods.
- Manage trademark portfolio for the first Zoo in the United States, the Philadelphia Zoo, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Manage international trademark portfolio for scientific research and business development incubator located in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Management of trademark portfolio for 501(c)(3) cooperating association responsible for supporting America’s National Parks and Monuments.
- Management of trademark portfolio for private comprehensive, co-educational university focused on the scientific and medical fields.
- Management of international trademark portfolio for international network of private day and boarding schools, with trademarks in more than 100 jurisdictions world-wide.
- Management of trademark portfolio for horse-racing enterprise and related fan-based e-commerce activity.
- Management of trademark portfolio for manufacturer and distributor of innovative and proprietary interactive vending machines.
- Management of international trademark portfolio for manufacturer and wholesaler of home goods.
- Management of trademark portfolio for national provider of professional recruitment and staffing services.
- Management of international trademark portfolio for manufacturer of high-end swimsuit, clothing and accessories line.
- Volunteer attorney for the Support Center for Child Advocates in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Represent children in permanency and placement proceedings before Family Court in Philadelphia.
- Volunteer attorney for Volunteers for the Indigent Program (VIP). Successfully represented several clients before the USPTO in obtaining U.S. federal trademark registrations, in some cases defended federal applications against opposition by third parties.
- Manage trademark portfolio for leader in celiac research and provision of celiac awareness programs.
Federal Court Litigation
Selected Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Inter Partes Proceedings
Pro Bono Litigation
- New Jersey
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, J.D., M.I.P., 2005
- Bucknell University, B.A., 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
- Associate, 2005-2014
- Law Clerk, 2004
- Burns & Levinson LLP
- Summer Clerk, 2004
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section
-- Chair, 2014-2015
-- Chair-Elect, 2013-2014
-- Vice Chair, 2012-2013
-- Secretary, 2011-2012
-- Chair, Trademark Committee, 2009-present
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2017
Listed in the 2015-2018 editions of the World Trademark Review 1000 list of the World's Leading Trademark Professionals as one of the top trademark lawyers in Prosecution and Strategy
- Named to The Legal Intelligencer's 2015 Lawyers on the Fast Track
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Labs With A Heart — Board Member, 2013 - Present
- Support Center for Child Advocates — Volunteer Attorney, 2012-Present
- VIP (Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent Program) — Volunteer Attorney, 2008-Present
- Abington Memorial Hospital Innovator's Circle
Quoted in "Real Eagles T-shirt? $40 in store. Fake? Buyer beware," Philly.com, February 7, 2018
Author, "What the USPTO’s New Stance on Cannabidiol Means for CBD Product Trademark Seekers," Cannabis Business Times, December 5, 2017
- Quoted in "Kendall + Kylie Slapped Tupac and Biggie on $125 T-Shirts With Their Own Faces," Yahoo Style, June 29, 2017
- Co-author, "Defending the Offensive: SCOTUS Defends Right to Register Offensive Trademarks," Duane Morris Alert, June 22, 2017
- Author, "USA: Mark-ijuana: Trademarks and Branding Cannabis Products," Cannabis Law Journal, April 18, 2017
- Author, "Victory for Varsity! But Also for Fashion? Supreme Court Rules in Star Athletica v. Varsity Brands," Duane Morris Alert, March 29, 2017
- Quoted in "Fast-Fashion Firm's Quick Turn on IP," Los Angeles Business Journal, February 17, 2017
- Quoted in "The Number of U.S. Trademark Registrations in Cuba is Multiplying - Fast," Miami Herald, November 15, 2016
- Author, "Top Ten Reasons US Companies Need to Protect Their Brands in Cuba Now," The Licensing Journal, June 6, 2016
- Co-author, "Protecting Trademarks in Cuba: Time to Act Is Now," Corporate Counsel Magazine, April 22, 2016
- Author, "Protecting Fashion Designs Through IP Law," The Legal Intelligencer, April 14, 2015
- Quoted in "City Council's Domain Name War is On, But is it Legal?" Philadelphia Business Journal, January 28, 2015
- Co-author, "Taking On The Internet For Your Client's Reputation," The Legal Intelligencer, April 30, 2013
- "A Brand's Worth: How to Protect a Company's Most Valuable Asset," Philadelphia Smart CEO, June 2011
- "These Days We Are Dealing with It," Intellectual Property Law Newsletter, Fall 2010
- Profiled in "Off the Clock: Easy Rider," AmLaw Daily, August 27, 2010
- "Counterfeiting in Red October," Intellectual Property Law Newsletter, Fall 2009
- "A Sundae's Worth of the Sweetest Free Samples: Internet Domain Name Tasting and Domain Name Kiting," The Computer Internet Lawyer, June 2009
- "Making Your Mark: And Keeping It. Tips for Protecting your Resort's Trademark." National Ski Areas Association Journal, April-May 2007
- Co-Author, "Creating a Stir: USPTO's Proposed Changes to the Rules of Practice Before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board," Trademark World, May 2006
- "Proposed Rule Changes to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Procedures," The Legal Intelligencer, May 8, 2006
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, Villanova Fashion Law Symposium, Villanova, Pennsylvania, February 23, 2018
Speaker, "Cannabis Law: Development, Management & Protection," Philadelphia Women Grow Networking Events, Philadelphia, February 22, 2018
- Presenter, "Trademark and Branding Cannabis Products," Clearing the Smoke: Legal Pathways to Success in the Cannabis Industry, June 19, 2017
- Panelist, "A Ray of Sunshine on a Cloudy Day: Cloud Computing," OGC University 2014, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, September 11, 2014
- Speaker, "Technology Tips for Managing Your Practice: From Desktop to Mobile," Philadelphia Bar Association's Bench-Bar & Annual Conference, Atlantic City, New Jersey, October 5, 2013
- Speaker, "Navigating the Trademark Jungle: From Clearance and Adoption to Prosecution and Enforcement, Tips for Developing and Maintaining a Strong Brand," LawReviewCLE, Harrisburg, PA, November 19, 2012
- Speaker, "U.S. Trademark Registration: The Attorney's Role from Clearance to Renewals," LawReviewCLE, Philadelphia, November 13, 2012
- Speaker, "Copyright Missteps," Pennsylvania Rural Electric Association, The Nittany Lion Inn, State College, Pennsylvania, October 4, 2012
- Speaker, "Welcome to the Jungle: Emerging Issues Facing Attorneys in the Digital Age," PennDOT, Office of the General Counsel, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, October 24, 2011
- Speaker, "Copyright Missteps: Top Stumbles to Avoid," Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, June 28, 2011
- Speaker, "Copyright, Trademark and Other Intellectual Property Law," LawReviewCLE seminar, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 31, 2011
- Speaker, "Trademark Basics: A Q & A Regarding Adoption, Registration, Use and Enforcement of U.S. Trademarks," Office of General Counsel's Intellectual Property Practice Group Pennsylvania Department of Transportation program, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, November 5, 2010
- Speaker, Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Intellectual Property Law Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 17, 2007
- Speaker, "Patent Issues Facing the University: The CREATE Act," LES Winter Meeting, Pasadena, California, February 2006