Tax Accounting Group
Welcome to the Tax Accounting Group
Welcome and thank you for visiting the Tax Accounting Group of Duane Morris LLP website. In addition to providing you with a profile of our group and the services we provide, this site has been designed to be a helpful resource tool. It includes informative articles, financial analysis tools, and external websites that we thought would be of interest to you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments you may have.
The Tax Accounting Group ("TAG") was the first ancillary practice of Duane Morris LLP and is one of the largest tax, accounting and litigation consulting groups affiliated with any law firm in the United States. TAG has an active and diverse practice with over 60 service lines in more than 45 industries, and serves clients in nearly every state and 25 foreign countries. TAG's certified public accountants, certified fraud examiners, chartered financial analysts, financial consultants and advisors provide a broad range of cost-effective tax preparation, planning and consulting services as well as accounting, financial and management advisory services to individuals, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts and nonprofit organizations.
TAG also provides an array of litigation consulting services to lawyers and law firms representing clients in regulatory and transactional matters and throughout various stages of litigation.
Range of Services
Traditional and Innovative
Our clients have access to a wide range of services including:
- Tax compliance and planning services
- Accounting, financial and management advisory services
- Financial planning services
- Litigation consulting services
Selecting an adviser, whether an expert or consultant, is one of the most important decisions you will make. Our service mission is to enthusiastically provide effective solutions that exceed expectations. We invite you to evaluate our approach to your needs and to allow us the opportunity to introduce you to exemplary service, technical proficiency and innovative ideas.
For More Information
For additional information, please contact Michael A. Gillen, Director of the Tax Accounting Group, or the Tax Accounting Group practitioner with whom you are regularly in contact.
Select Leadership Profiles
TAG maintains one of the largest tax, accounting and litigation consulting groups affiliated with any law firm in the United Sates and has an active and diverse practice with over 60 services lines in more than 45 industries, serving clients in nearly every state and 25 foreign countries. TAG's certified public accountants, certified fraud examiners, financial consultants and advisors provide a broad range of cost-effective tax preparation, planning and consulting services as well as accounting, financial and management advisory services to individuals, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts and nonprofit organizations.
TAG also provides an array of litigation consulting services to lawyers and law firms representing clients in regulatory and transactional matters and throughout various stages of litigation.
By choosing TAG, you get the best of both worlds. You benefit from quality, highly personalized, uninterrupted and confidential tax preparation and planning services backed by the solid reputation of TAG and Duane Morris. Additionally, you have access to other valuable services in the tax and accounting fields.
Please click on the links to the right to learn more about our various service offerings. We will be happy to discuss with you at any time how our group can best fulfill your service needs.
Resources and Versatility
When you engage TAG, we deploy our entire team and network of resources. By drawing upon the experience and versatility of our professionals, our integrated multidisciplinary approach and the efficient interaction between our lawyers, certified public accountants, certified fraud examiners, financial consultants and analysts, we believe that we are uniquely qualified to provide analysis and services of the highest quality.
What allows TAG to fulfill our mission and maintain long-term relationships with our clients is the passion, objectivity and deep experience of our professionals. Our senior staff has an average of about 20 years working together as a team, with some having more than 30 years on our platform. These professionals are intimately familiar with and take a personal interest in client needs and work hard to justify the trust placed in TAG.
As the entrusted advisor to clients in nearly every state and 25 foreign countries, TAG continues to enjoy impressive growth, in large part because of our clients' continued expression of confidence and referrals.
Range of Services
We offer an array of services, including tax compliance and planning, accounting, management advisory services, analyses of all kinds, best-worst case studies and litigation consulting services in a variety of industries and fields on one platform.
We believe that personalized service and attention maximizes the opportunity to meet the needs of our clients. TAG managers and other professionals are available to discuss any questions or issues that may arise. Our policy is to accept all telephone calls immediately and, if that is not possible, to return calls within 24 hours. While others claim to provide exceptional services and personal attention, TAG delivers it.
We emphasize strong communication with our clients. In addition to personal and regular contact, we provide to our clients on a complimentary basis Client Alerts highlighting recent developments in the fields of taxation, litigation consulting and accounting, as well as other periodic tax and financial publications designed to be used as reference guides throughout the year.
Technical Proficiency and Quality Control
We believe in providing our clients with efficient and cost-effective technical proficiency. When you engage us, you have access to our entire team and all of our combined resources. We have established rigorous internal quality control systems, and our review procedures are consistent with the guidelines established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and best practices.
With a great sense of urgency, we strive to offer innovative ideas and problem-solving ability in tax, accounting, financial, operational, managerial and litigation matters to enhance client success.
Experience in Various Industries
We have experience in a wide range of markets, including more than 60 service lines in more than 45 industries. This experience broadens our capabilities and enhances our ability to identify, confront and resolve a variety of issues and concerns.
Our rates are typically 30% less than the largest CPA firms and compare favorably to mid-sized firms.
With offices in major markets, we serve clients throughout the country and internationally.
Privacy is as important to us as it is to our clients, and maintaining trust and confidence is one of our highest priorities. Client records are confidential and carefully secured in TAG's offices.
Selecting an adviser, whether an expert or consultant, is one of the most important decisions you will make. With TAG, you get the best of both worlds. You benefit from TAG's quality and highly personalized professional services backed by the solid reputation of Duane Morris. This one-of-a-kind platform allows us to deliver flexible, customized and specialized services desired by our clients while providing uncommon and convenient access to other valuable resources and services in the legal and non-legal fields.
TAG believes that it is through our personal relationship with you that we can most efficiently address your total tax, financial, accounting and, if necessary, litigation needs. We often hear from our clients that while our firm is large enough to serve their various needs, we also take a remarkable personal interest in them and are intimately familiar with their needs. When it comes to serving our clients, we combine the advantages of a regional CPA practice with the convenience and efficiency of accessing the resources of an international law firm of more than 700 lawyers, drawing on the legal, administrative and technological services of the firm's international network of offices. A small sampling of advantages of engaging TAG as your tax service provider, expert or consultant include:
- Highly personalized service and attention
- Unique multi-disciplinary team and network of resources
- Efficient and cost effective services
- Convenient locations to serve clients throughout the country and internationally
- Proactive communication, newsletters and client alerts on relevant and timely topics
- Competitive fees
- Innovative ideas and problem-solving
- Convenient, quick and uncommon "one stop" access to other valuable services in the tax, accounting, financial and legal fields
- Experience in over 60 service lines in more than 45 industries
- Unparalleled sense of urgency
Tax Compliance, Planning and Consulting
Traditional Services Provided in an Innovative Manner
TAG provides a wide range of federal, state and local tax compliance, planning and consulting services to individuals, businesses, tax-exempt entities, and estates and trusts. We provide services to clients in nearly every state and 25 foreign countries. Our taxation services include:
- Tax Compliance
- Tax Equalization Calculations
- Tax Negotiation
- Tax Planning
- Tax Provision and Accruals
- Tax Representation
- Tax Research
- Tax Strategy Development
Range of Services
For Lawyers, Law Firms and Corporate Law Departments
TAG offers a variety of consulting services to lawyers and law firms representing clients in regulatory and transactional matters and throughout various stages of litigation. Our practitioners assist in the pre-trial and discovery phases and at trial, including:
- Alter Ego Analysis
- Analysis and Rebuttal of Opposing Expert Reports
- Antitrust/Business Combinations
- Asset Recovery Investigations/Locator Services
- Assist in Demonstrative Preparation Including Developing and Preparing Exhibits For Trial
- Assess Compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Auditing Standards
- Assist in Pre-Trial Settlement and Other Conferences and Negotiations
- Breach of Contract
- Business Intelligence/Reporting
- Business Valuation
- Case Assessment, Strategy Development and Exposure Analysis
- Commercial and Contractual Disputes
- Comprehensive Analysis of Complex Financial Data
- Cross-Examination Strategy Development
- Damage Assessment and Measurement
- Database Management, including Database Design and Development
- Draft Interrogatory and Deposition Questions, Subpoenas, Stipulations, Document Requests, Petitions and Motions
- Employment Discrimination
- Expert Witness Testimony
- Forensic and Investigative Accounting
- Fraud and Embezzlement Detection and Assessment
- Fraudulent Conveyance Reviews
- Identify, Locate and Interview Witnesses
- Internal Corporate Investigations
- Marital Disputes
- Piercing Corporate Veil
- Professional Malpractice
- Regulatory Investigations
- Securities Fraud Damage Modeling
- Shareholder Disputes
- Structuring Settlements
- Successor Liability Analysis
For Individuals and Businesses
TAG offers an array of advisory services to assist individuals and businesses in reaching their goals. Our practitioners assist with:
- Analyzing Debtor Viability
- Bankruptcy Trustee Support
- Budgeting and Forecasting
- Business Due Diligence Investigations
- Business Performance Analysis
- Compliance Reviews including GAAP, Regulatory and Contractual
- Debt Restructuring
- Developing Key Performance Indicators
- Earnings and Profits Analysis
- Entity Selection and Restructuring
- Escrow Agent Services
- Evaluation of Complex Transactions
- Financial Modeling and Analysis
- Financial Statements
- Improvement Studies
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Operational Studies
- Organizational Development
- Preference Analysis
- Risk Management Analysis
- Strategic Business Planning
- Succession Planning
- Transaction Structuring and Negotiations
In addition to our core services, TAG offers a diverse menu of value added services. These services deliver the flexibility, cost efficiencies and specialization that ensure our clients have the resources required to meet each of their unique needs, with the convenience of a single-source provider. These programs are designed to enhance our clients' activities and propel individuals and organizations toward achieving their goals.
TAG administers a flexible Tax Assistance Program designed for corporate executives, providing individual and business tax preparation, planning and consulting services at group-rate discounted fees. Participants in this program benefit from quality, highly personalized, uninterrupted, comprehensive and confidential tax preparation, planning and consulting services. At the same time, executives have access to other valuable resources and services in the legal and non-legal fields.
The principal objectives of ETAP are to streamline interaction between the busy executive and needed advisors and to assist the executive in achieving tax, financial and related objectives. This is accomplished through a coordinated approach delivered by a primary core of specialists intimately familiar with and taking a personal interest in the executive's tax and related financial objectives. As SEC and PCAOB regulations prohibit select executives of publicly held companies from receiving personal tax planning and compliance services from the corporate auditor of record, ETAP provides an effective solution for executives and their corporate entities. The results are greater peace of mind for the busy executive without the conflict of interest risks presented by the dual activities of the employer company's auditors performing tax services for company personnel.
Under the program, participants may access the following benefits:
- Preparation of federal, state and local individual income tax returns
- Preparation of federal, state and local business tax returns
- Projections for use in determining estimated tax liabilities
- Preparation of a two-year comparison highlighting changes in income and deductions
- Preparation of financial computations, including amortization schedules, break-even analyses, cash-flow analyses, purchase/lease analyses and the like
- Responses to federal, state and local income tax inquiries
- Represent clients in civil tax matters involving federal, state and city taxing authorities, at all levels, including audits, appeals and collections
- Year-round tax planning and consulting services and access to a full complement of services, including but not limited to financial planning, investment management and legal services
- Answers to questions concerning tax and financial matters, proposed legislation and other matters
- A subscription to TAG's Client Alerts and other tax and financial publications designed specifically for our clients
TAG's Family Offices Services Program provides support to high net worth individuals by providing a comprehensive and flexible suite of accounting, finance, tax and customized administrative services.
With our services customized to respond directly to your family office mission, stage of development and future objectives, our services typically include the following:
- Manage the day-to-day accounting for checkbook(s) activity including: verification of accuracy of bills to be paid, disbursing checks for bills, recording deposits into the checkbook(s) and authorizing bank fund transfers
- Reconcile checkbook(s) on a monthly basis, research and resolve variances
- Prepare monthly and year-to-date report of income and expenses, as well as account for capital expenditures and preparation of unaudited financial statements
- Review and consolidate monthly brokerage statements as well as prepare performance analyses of investments
- Maintain up-to-date record of stock holdings in companies for which client is a director, as well as tracking changes in holdings
- Monitor and manage line of credit issues to include borrowings, payoff and verification of interest calculations for accuracy
- Monitor charitable commitments made and satisfied
- Identification and communication of material tax planning considerations
- Identification and communication of transactions or changes and potential tax exposure areas that arise during the preparation of accounting or tax returns
- Conduct annual review of all deferred compensation accounts
- Prepare private foundation, trusts and individual income tax returns and calculate required estimated tax installments
- Coordinate and consult with banking, legal and investment advisors as appropriately needed
- Meetings to discuss applicable issues and review reports
TAG's Personal Financial Services Program is designed to assist seniors and others in need of organizational and personal financial management activities. The program responds proactively to the unique needs of an aging population. Services to this population segment are tailored for each client and often include tax preparation and planning, management and reconciliation of accounts, bill paying and regular reporting to the client and/or authorized family members and advisors.
Key benefits of this program include:
- Eliminating the tedious and time-consuming process of monthly bill paying, mail sorting, bank and financial account reconciling and filing
- Dramatically improving the efficiency of collecting and organizing tax information
- Conveniently coordinating activity between bankers, brokers, investment advisors and lawyers
- Timely reviewing, completing and submitting medical and related forms, including monitoring of reimbursements
- Eliminating unwelcome financial intrusion, frustration, confusion, anxiety and surprises
Services are customized and often include:
- Organizing files and tax records
- Reviewing and sorting incoming mail
- Monthly bill paying
- Reconciling bank and financial statements
- Recording and/or tracking medical expenses
- Submitting medical claim forms and monitoring medical reimbursements
- Providing income tax planning and return preparation
- Providing gift tax return preparation
- Preparing employment tax returns for caregivers and other household help
- Reviewing and summarizing reports from fiduciaries
TAG administers a flexible CFO Services Program designed for emerging, maturing and established businesses. Participants in this program benefit from high-quality CFO, controllership and accounting services that are personalized, customized, uninterrupted and comprehensive. At the same time, businesses and executives have access to other valuable resources and services in the legal and non-legal fields.
The principal objectives of our CFO Services Program are to provide businesses with high-level financial talent and deep intellectual capital on a cost-effective basis while avoiding distractions associated with day-to-day accounting responsibilities and demands. This is accomplished through a coordinated approach delivered by a primary core of specialists intimately familiar with and taking a personal interest in the accounting and related financial objectives of the business. Our services range from supporting the existing bookkeeper to serving as the financial professional managing the accounting functions and assisting the business in shepherding its financial health. The results are more effective solutions in terms of shaping and analyzing information to assist in strategic and operational decision making. Our CFO/controllership services include a wide range of activities such as:
- Management of accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Analysis of data flow and functions and establishing accounting procedures and systems
- Preparation and monitoring of budgeting/forecasting
- Business management solutions
- Business process reviews
- Management of cash and debt
- Coordination of relationships with customers, vendors and other service providers
- Financial reporting/analysis/modeling
- Budgets/measurement programs/expense reduction programs
- General ledger maintenance and preparation/review of monthly reports
- Analysis of banking relationships
- Preparation of business tax reporting forms/payroll and corporate tax returns
- Oversight of accounting functions, controls and personnel
- Product line profitability studies/profit improvement
- Strategic planning
- Alignment of core competencies with the company creating operational efficiencies
Additionally, our CFO Services Program can provide meaningful value on a temporary or interim basis to ease a transition or alleviate workloads for a variety of circumstances, including:
- Resignation of controller or other key accounting personnel
- Hiring key personnel and assisting in transition
- Family and medical leaves of absences or vacations by key accounting personnel
- Tax filing deadlines
- Installation or conversion of accounting software
- Urgent, sensitive and complex projects
By providing sound controllership services, we enable our clients to concentrate on the other areas that make their business and financial dealings successful.
For Law Firms and Corporate Law Departments
In addition to providing services on an individual case basis, TAG offers a Litigation Consulting Services program specifically designed to meet the distinct and changing needs of law firms and corporate and trial law departments. We offer a comprehensive list of services to lawyers representing clients in regulatory and transactional matters and throughout various stages of litigation with the principal objectives being the reduction of overall costs of legal representation and the improvement of the overall engagement experience and performance.
Whether engaged as consultants or as testifying expert witnesses, we are uniquely qualified to provide litigation consulting services of the highest quality. We draw upon years of experience and combine the efficient interaction between the integrated, multidisciplinary approach of our team, which includes:
- Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Fraud Examiners
- Financial Consultants
- Affiliate network of economists and strategic alliances
Using this experience and efficient interaction, we critically analyze, thoroughly investigate, and aggressively pursue the complex accounting, tax and financial issues lawyers face during their representation of clients. We assist lawyers in strengthening their client's positions and providing an independent, thorough and objective analysis of the opposition's position which are essential to strategic case assessment activities.
Key benefits to law firms, corporate and trial law departments under this program include:
- Cost reductions
- Quick turnaround
- Familiarity with work product
- Highly personalized service
- Flexible bench strength as needed
- Convenient access to a wide range of resources and capacity
- Comprehensive experience working with more than 700 attorneys
- Consulting expert to counsel together with preservation of communication privileges
- Management oversight of existing experts
- Enhanced strategic insight and strategy development
As part of our litigation consulting services, TAG performs various in-depth investigation services to assist litigation attorneys in the following areas:
- Location searches (skip tracing)
- Background information identification
- Business and individual credit reporting
- Criminal record searches
- Public record searches, including bankruptcies, claims, judgments, lawsuits, liens and UCC filings
- Recorded asset identification, including real property, vehicles (where permitted by state law), aircraft, watercraft and safe deposit boxes
- Asset valuation, including encumbrance identification and equity valuation
- Liquid asset identification, including bank accounts, investment accounts, patents and trademarks
- Account monitoring
- Service of process
- Private investigation services (via strategic alliances)
- Likelihood of recovery assessment
Our practitioners utilize a broad source of tools and resources to collect, organize and analyze data in order to locate subjects, assess recoverability and recommend recovery actions. All investigations are performed in compliance with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Represented a boutique jewelry and luxury goods business before the Pennsylvania Board of Appeals related to a sales tax audit and assessment for multi-year reporting periods resulting in a Board Decision and Order reducing the proposed deficiencies by 96%.
Represented one of the top 100 universities worldwide before the City of Philadelphia Department of Revenue related to delinquent wage tax liabilities resulting in the elimination of more than $500,000 of tax, interest and penalty, ending a long standing dispute with the City.
- Represented a senior executive of an international brand management company before the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance in a three year Tax Residency audit resulting in a Pennsylvania residency determination, a New York "non-resident" tax status and state tax savings in excess of $50,000. Over the past several years, New York has conducted Tax Residency and Domicile audits targeting those who work in New York, maintain a residence in New York or have relocated out of New York to other lower tax states.
- Represented a construction business before the Pennsylvania Board of Appeals related to a sales tax issue resulting in a reversal of the auditor’s findings and tax savings of approximately $25,000.
- Represented an individual beneficiary of three substantial trusts before the Collection Division of the IRS and secured the release of levies on trust assets along with resumption of trust distributions, as well as the elimination of the taxpayer’s $300,000 individual income tax liability by capitalizing on IRS procedural deficiencies.
- Represented a high net worth individual along with multiple controlled businesses before the Appeals Division of the IRS in a multi-day Rapid Appeals Process (RAP) in connection with the Service’s adjustments in excess of $110 million resulting in an extraordinary settlement and a tax savings of more than $25 million. RAP is a new, elective alternative dispute resolution method available to certain taxpayers who appealed certain Large Business and International Division (LB&I) sourced cases assigned to the Appeals Division. The LB&I Division typically deals with complicated issues involving tax law and accounting principles.
- Represented multiple physicians before the Large Business and International Division of the IRS, which is responsible for the examinations of businesses and individuals with assets greater than $10 million, in connection with the examination of claimed foreign earned income exclusions, foreign housing exclusions and foreign tax credits. The examination resulted in a “no change” income tax report resulting in a tax savings of approximately $150,000.
- Represented a retired widow before the Collection Division of the Internal Revenue Service and successfully negotiated an installment payment arrangement and the release of levies to facilitate a sale of real estate, the release of a Social Security garnishment, and the waiver of penalties of more than $150,000 while preserving the taxpayer’s retirement assets and valuable intangible property rights.
- Represented a high net worth individual before the Collection Division of the Internal Revenue Service and successfully negotiated a discharge of property from a six-figure federal tax lien within 14 days of application. Typically, the process takes 30-45 days, or longer.
- Represented a lawyer before the New Jersey Income Tax Audit Branch in a multi-year audit, successfully arguing the appropriateness of non-resident state tax credits, thereby eliminating nearly $20,000 in assessed tax, interest and penalty.
- Represented a non-profit community development corporation with more than $4.6 million in assets before the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division of the IRS to obtain a retroactive reinstatement of tax exempt status. The organization's tax exempt status was revoked for failure to file required annual tax returns for three consecutive years, subjecting more than $3.9 million of gross receipts earmarked for community development to federal and state taxes. The organization saved in excess of $1.3 million in taxes as a result of the successful reinstatement.
- Represented an international architectural, engineering and design company before the Examination Division of the IRS in connection with the Service's examination of a $2.9 million deduction related to the new Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings Deduction under Internal Revenue Code Section 179D as well as other deductions in excess of $60 million resulting in a "no change" income tax report.
- Represented a national real estate investor and consultant before the Examination Division of the IRS in connection with the disallowance of a $3 million deduction of a settlement payment made in lieu of litigation resulting in a "no change" income tax report and a tax savings of approximately $750,000.
- Represented a retired high net worth individual before the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue in a Tax Residency and Domicile audit resulting in a Florida domicile determination, a Pennsylvania "non-resident" tax status and state tax savings in excess of $350,000. Over the past several years, Pennsylvania has conducted Tax Residency and Domicile audits targeting those who have relocated to Florida or other lower tax states.
- Represented a boutique law firm before the IRS Appeals Division and subsequently before the IRS Office of Chief Counsel in connection with the examination of five years of corporate income tax filings prepared by a regional CPA firm resulting in the reduction of tax, interest and penalty of more than $1.2 million.
- Represented a global law firm with more than 500 attorneys in offices across the United States and around the world before the State of Washington, Department of Revenue in connection with the examination of business, occupancy and personal property tax filings resulting in the avoidance of significant penalties.
- Represented an international law firm with offices throughout the United States and abroad before the Audit Bureau of the Illinois Department of Revenue and secured a "no change" income tax report.
- Represented a large Philadelphia based, multi-state, internationally recognized design firm providing professional services in the disciplines of architecture, engineering, interior design, planning and landscape architecture before the Utah State Tax Commission and negotiated the abatement of more than $20,000 in penalties resulting from late payment of non-resident trust fund taxes.
- Represented a large Philadelphia-based architectural firm before the Government Entities Compliance Unit of the IRS in a new Voluntary Classification Settlement Program, which resolved classification of workers for employment tax purposes and obtained substantial relief from federal payroll tax liabilities, including waiver of interest and penalties.
- Represented a national chain of clothing stores before the City of Philadelphia Law Department, arranged filing of five years of unfiled tax returns and successfully negotiated a 30 percent reduction in tax, interest and penalties.
- Represented a real estate agent before the Advisory Group Division of the IRS resulting in a discharge of federal tax lien, avoidance of foreclosure of real property, consummation of a short sale, transfer of clean title and protection of real estate agents license and future career pursuits.
- Represented a manufacturer in a Pennsylvania sales and use tax audit and subsequently at the appeals level, resulting in a reduction in the tax assessment by more than $250,000, followed by an application for abatement with Pennsylvania Board of Finance and Revenue which resulted in abatement of penalties in excess of $235,000 for a combined savings to the client of $485,000.
- Represented an officer of a Philadelphia-area construction company and obtained decision dismissing, with prejudice, a $1.5 million responsible officer/trust-fund recovery penalty action brought by the Philadelphia Revenue Department against various officers of the company for unpaid wages and business-privilege taxes.
- Represented a retiree before the Collection Division of the IRS and arranged the elimination of about $35,000 in income tax resulting from an erroneous assessment made by the IRS.
- Represented a golf course before the Collection Division of the IRS and negotiated the abatement of a civil tax penalty of more than $14,000 as a result of failure to file required tax returns.
- Represented a decedent before the Examination Division of the IRS resulting in an income tax savings of more than $100,000.
- Represented a supplier of communication systems and services before the Examination Division of the IRS and secured a "no change" income tax report.
- Represented a lawyer before the New York Department of Finance and Revenue resulting in a "no change" income tax report.
- Represented a college professor of one of the most prestigious universities in Pennsylvania before the Examination Division of the IRS resulting in a "no change" income tax report.
- Represented a regional law firm before the City of Philadelphia resulting in the reduction of a tax deficiency assessment from $250,000 to $50,000.
- Representation of a liable spouse before the Criminal Investigation Division of the IRS, avoided criminal prosecution, significant reduction of tax liability, submission and acceptance by IRS of Offer in Compromise.
- Represented a seller of sports memorabilia before the Examination Division of the IRS and secured a "no change" income tax report.
- Represented a client before IRS and successfully compromised a tax liability of more than $4 million for less than $350,000.
- Represented an international law firm before the City of New York Tax Appeals Tribunal resulting in a reduction in New York City unincorporated business tax from $230,000 to $25,000.
- Represented an international law firm before the Chicago Department of Revenue and secured a "no change" sales tax report.
- Represented a lawyer before the Appeals Division of the IRS and negotiated a compromise of a $2 million tax liability for $110,000 and a similar compromise with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania whereby a $120,000 liability was settled for $20,000.
- Represented a physician before the Collection Division of the IRS and arranged the release of levies, a reduction in assessed tax by approximately $400,000 and elimination of interest and penalties of approximately $50,000 after the discovery of an IRS calculation error.
- Represented a personal financial planner before the Collection Division of the IRS and negotiated a compromise of a significant federal income tax liability resulting in a savings of more than $700,000.
- Represented a partner of a real estate development company before the Collection Division of the IRS and successfully convinced the IRS that the partner was not a responsible officer resulting in elimination of more than $400,000 in trust fund tax assessments and related interest and penalty.
- Conducted a forensic examination for one of the largest international shipping and transportation companies, including performing asset investigation services identifying hidden assets in a $1.5 million vendor fraud matter. Also performed an extensive Successor Liability, Alter Ego and Piercing of the Corporate Veil analysis in an effort to assist in recovery.
- Represented a spouse in a marital dispute and conducted asset locator services identifying over $100 million in hidden assets resulting in a significant marital settlement.
- Assisted the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) in conducting its extensive and complex Special Examination of Fannie Mae's manipulation of accounting and earnings to trigger bonuses for senior executives. The examination resulted in a comprehensive report of more than 340 pages and an agreement by Fannie Mae to pay $400 million in penalties and enter into a significant plan of remediation.
- Performed a damage analysis and provided an in depth analysis of an opposing expert's damage report in a trademark infringement case related to the unlicensed distribution of certain auto parts resulting in favorable result to client.
- Conducted a forensic examination for an international asset management organization, including interviews, and identified employee fraud and resulting economic damages in excess of $100,000.
- Represented a spouse in a marital dissolution and prepared a comprehensive net worth analysis and business valuation used to secure a favorable settlement.
- Represented an estate in a wrongful death matter, conducted in-depth interviews, prepared extensive damage calculations, and assisted counsel in obtaining favorable result for the client.
- Developed extensive damage models and performed complex damage analysis calculations which were utilized by a Director and Officer insurance carrier in defending a claim arising from a securities fraud litigation matter involving a national telecommunications company resulting in favorable outcome for client.
- Prepared an extensive analysis of reasonable salaries and lost profits in a class action litigation matter involving an international chemical company resulting in favorable decision for the client.
- Prepared a report for a national insurance company quantifying the relative and absolute damage exposure faced by Underwriter Defendants following an alleged accounting fraud of an international energy company in a class action securities matter.
- Conducted a suitability analysis and alternative investment strategy analysis and provided a report regarding the damages sustained by a plaintiff as a result of alleged professional negligence by a broker resulting in favorable decision for client.
- Performed a compliance audit for a special committee of a large real estate investment trust to determine amounts due former shareholders under various agreements.
- Performed an extensive successor liability analysis for an automobile dealership resulting in a favorable decision for the client.
- Prepared an extensive shareholder oppression claim analysis including damage assessment in connection with an international technology company resulting in a favorable settlement for shareholders.
- Performed a comprehensive forensic investigation of employee fraud in a retail business resulting in a favorable result for the client.
- Prepared a comprehensive damage analysis in connection with an employee stock option plan, including alternative investment analyses and analysis of fiduciary breaches resulting in a favorable outcome for client.
- Developed complex damage models to measure lost profits incurred by a regional brokerage firm as a result of published defamatory statements resulting in a favorable outcome for client.
- Prepared a comprehensive damage analysis for a national food retail and distribution company and served as a consultant to the experts for counsel resulting in a favorable outcome for client.
- Conducted an improvement study for a regional medical services provider and prepared a report addressing corporate strategy, underlying systems and processes including cash management, receivables, collections and OSHA compliance. Post implementation, client enjoyed significant cost savings and increased profits.
- Conducted an analysis of application of generally accepted accounting principles for a governmental entity related to capital v. operating lease reporting resulting in a favorable leasing arrangement for client.
- Conducted an improvement study for a facilities management company resulting in the implementation of recommended changes to cash and receivable management systems and improved internal controls.
- Served as entrusted agent to an international real estate developer with more than $50 million of escrow funds under management.
- Conducted a license agreement and systems review of an international medical products manufacturer resulting in the identification of unpaid and underpaid royalty fees of approximately $300,000.
- Analyzed various financial reporting models under generally accepted accounting principles for an international technology company in support of counsel recommendations in due diligence proceedings related to an international acquisition.
- Served as court appointed accountant to the bankruptcy trustee in a securities firm bankruptcy matter and prepared a comprehensive accounting and managed the liquidation disbursement process for the trustee.
- Performed a policy and procedure review for a law firm, including analysis of office procedures, cash management, collections and financial reporting resulting in increased operational efficiency and profitability.
- Prepared a comprehensive analysis of the reasonableness of the salaries of employees and shareholders of a physician practice based on standards established by the IRS and courts.
- Year-End Tax Planning Guide for 2017
- Planning Opportunities with Final Tax Reform Votes Looming - Actions to Consider Now
- Overview of Key Provisions of Tax Reform
- Still Worried About the Equifax Breach? So Are 145 Million Others
- Tax Implications of the Sharing Economy - Special Rules for Home Rentals
- Did You Turn Age 70 and a Half in 2016? Have an IRA? An Important Deadline Is Rapidly Approaching for You.
- Proceed with Caution: The "Dirty Dozen" Tax Scams for 2017
- U.S. Citizens with Federal Tax Debts in Excess of $50,000 Are in Danger of Having Their Passports Revoked
- What's New for Tax Year 2016 (When Filing in 2017)
- Eighty-two Days Later and $250 Million Richer: New Jersey-Pennsylvania Tax Pact Saved
- Is the U.S. Tax Code Set to Be Trumped?
- Potential Perils of Using Dropbox and Similar Service Providers
- Tips for Jump-Starting Year-End Tax Planning for Individuals and Businesses
- Own a Stake in a Million-Dollar Residence? The IRS's New Policy May Benefit You!
- School Is Out and Summer Employment Is In: Tax Tips for Students
- Discover the Tax-Saving Secrets of Combining Summer Business and Personal Vacation Travel
- Tax Accounting Group Celebrates 35th Anniversary in 2016
- Social Security Loophole Closing - Changes May Impact Your Benefits
- What's New in the Tax World - Tax Extenders Extended, Once Again
- June 30 Deadline Fast Approaching for Foreign Investment Reporting, Including Ownership in Certain Foreign Real Estate
- Think Your Income Tax Return Closed the Book on 2014? Taxpayers with Foreign Assets May Be Required to File a Report by June 30
- Update: Key Ruling Affecting Maryland Taxpayers with Out-of-State Income - Tax Refund Opportunity Now Available
- Tax Season Alert: Consider These Tips in Maximizing Your Charitable Tax Deduction
- What's New for Tax Year 2014 (When Filing in 2015)
- A Last-Minute Stocking Stuffer from Congress: Individual and Business Tax Breaks Retroactively Extended
- Tax-Related Identity Theft and Scams Skyrocketing . . . Stay Protected
- Back to School: Tax Benefits for Education
- Severance Payments Are Taxable Wages Under FICA
- What's New for Tax Year 2013 (When Filing in 2014)
- Tax Season Alert: Consider These Tips in Maximizing Your Charitable Tax Deduction
- 2013 Year-End Tax Planning Strategies for Individuals and Businesses
- Tax Deadlines Still in Effect, Despite Government Shutdown
- Sweeping Changes to the Pennsylvania Tax Code - The Passage of Pa. House Bill 465
- Do You Operate Out of a Home Office? The IRS Wants to Simplify Your Life - But Don't Celebrate Too Quickly!
- Don't Miss the FBAR Filing Deadline
- When Athletes Retire, Is the Next Step Bankruptcy or Paradise?
- Tax Season Alert: The IRS May Attempt to Disallow Your Charitable Deductions
- What's New for Tax Year 2012 (When Filing in 2013)
- IRS "Fresh Start Program" Offers More Taxpayers Greater Opportunity to Resolve IRS Debts
- Last-Minute Fiscal Cliff Tax Deal Reached - Highlights of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
- Post-Election 2012 Tax Planning Alert: Practical Tax Planning Tips for You, Your Family and Your Business
- Whistleblower Regulations Finalized by IRS: Awards for Reporting Tax Fraud Are Significant
- Yes, You Filed Your 2011 Income Tax Return, but Did You File Your FBAR?
- Preparation of Your 2011 Tax Return May Be Much More Complicated Than You Think: Beware of a New IRS Reporting Requirement for This Tax Season
- IRS to Track Credit and Debit Card Purchases More Closely: Businesses and Hobbyists Think Twice Before You File Your 2011 Tax Return
- What's New for Tax Year 2011 (When Filing in 2012)
- Businesses and Households Employing Independent Contractors: Remain Aware
- Federal Estate Tax Portability: Why Credit-Shelter Trusts Are Still Optimal
- Businesses and Households Employing Independent Contractors - Beware
- IRS Expands Options for Taxpayers Faced with Collection Enforcement Activities
- Summer Business Trips Combined with Vacation May Provide Tax Benefits
- What's New for Tax Year 2010 (When Filing in 2011)
- The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010: Last-Minute Year-End Tax Planning Possible with the Passage of the Long-Anticipated Legislation
- Expanded 1099 Reporting for Rental Property Owners
- A "Less" Flexible Savings Account, Starting in 2011
- Small Business Jobs Act Contains Breaks for Businesses and Individuals
- Understanding and Navigating Business Tax Changes Resulting From Health Care Reform Legislation
- Understanding and Navigating Individual Tax Changes Resulting From Health Care Reform Legislation
- Pennsylvania Provides Stiff Criteria for Classifying Employees and Independent Contractors
- Internal Revenue Service "Going Green" with the Elimination of Paper Payment Coupons
- IRS Offers One-Time Special Relief Filing Program: Last Chance for Small Tax-Exempt Organizations to Preserve Their Exempt Status
- Homebuyer Tax Credits Extended: And They Said There Were No Second Chances . . .
- Contributions to Haiti Relief Efforts May Be Deducted on 2009 Tax Returns
- What's New for Tax Year 2009 (When Filing in 2010)
- Criteria for Disclosure of Swiss Accounts Announced: Now That the Offshore IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program Has Ended, What's a Taxpayer to Do?
- Tax-Planning Strategies for Stock Market Gains
- Update on Proposed Changes to Federal Estate Tax Law
- New Jersey Taxes on the Rise
- IRS Announces Foreign Hedge Funds and Private Investment Funds Subject to Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) Reporting
- Summary of Tax Provisions Included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
- Tax Implications of Incurring Website Development Costs
- Generous Employers May Spend More Due to Drop in IRS Standard Mileage Rates
- December 2008: Year-End Charitable Contribution Guidance
- Exceptions to the 50 Percent Disallowance Rule for Business Meal Expenses
- No Longer Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Some Relief from Tax Return Filing Compression
- Executives of Public Companies Will Be Required to Retain Independent Tax Services for Personal Use
- Tax-Related Identity Theft and Scams: Are Your Defenses Strong?
- IRS's Fresh Start Program: Opportunity to Resolve Unpaid Tax Obligations
- Parallel IRS Investigations Have Returned After a 35-Year Hiatus
- Law Firms Employing 'Independent Contractors': Beware
- Last-Minute Filing Tips for a Shifting Tax Landscape
- To Minimize Financial Fraud Risk, Watch Out for the 'Red Flags'
- In 2010, Summer Vacation Should Include Midyear Tax Planning
- To Convert or Not To Convert: Advantages and Pitfalls of Roth IRA Conversions
- Tips to Prevent and Mitigate Fraud in the Family Office
- Last-Minute 2009 Filing Season Tax Tips
- Taxpayers Beware: IRS Intensifies Employment Tax Audit Initiatives
- The Role of Forensic Accountants in Divorce Engagements
- Penalty Abatements and the RCA Program: What's a Taxpayer to Do?
- Effects of the Worker, Homeownership and Business Assistance Act of 2009
- State Tax Amnesty and Voluntary Disclosure Programs
- New IRS Strategic Initiative: Increased Audit Activity on Its Way?
- What Lawyers Need to Know About the Codification of Accounting Standards
- IRS Offshore VDP -- Last Opportunity for Taxpayers to Avoid Criminal Prosecution and Penalties?
- Fair Value Accounting Leads to Volatility; Volatility Leads to Litigation
- Last-Minute Tax Tips to Consider in Recessionary Times
- Tax Benefits Associated With Pro Bono and Other Volunteer Activities
- Tax Complications of Bankruptcies in Difficult Economic Times
- While Markets Continue to Fall, Fraud Activity Continues to Rise
- Making the Best Plan Distribution Choices at Retirement
- Proactive Steps to Consider in a Down Economy
- The Convergence of International and U.S. Financial Reporting Standards
- Avoiding Penalties for Not Taking Distributions From Inherited IRAs
- New Whistleblower Program May Prompt Informants to Come Forward
- SEC to Require Electronic Financial Reporting in 2009
- When Tax Liabilities Can't Be Paid - Risks, Ramifications and Resolutions
- The Tax Noose Tightens: 2007 Data Reflect Increased Audit Risk
- Lack of Planning Can Result in Poor Settlements
While recognizing that our clients are at the heart of our practice each day and in every way, we also recognize that the professionals who make up the TAG team are the soul. TAG, a CPA practice on a law firm platform, was the first ancillary practice of Duane Morris LLP and is one of the largest tax, accounting and litigation consulting groups affiliated with any law firm in the United States. TAG has an active and diverse practice with over 60 service lines in more than 45 industries, and serves clients in nearly every state and 25 foreign countries. TAG's certified public accountants, certified fraud examiners, chartered financial analysts, financial consultants and advisors provide a broad range of cost-effective tax preparation, planning and consulting services as well as accounting, financial and management advisory services to individuals, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts and nonprofit organizations.
TAG also provides an array of litigation consulting services to lawyers and law firms representing clients in regulatory and transactional matters and throughout various stages of litigation.
TAG seeks accountants who have exhibited superior academic performance, integrity and the ability to assume responsibility. We seek individuals who lead and work well with others. We believe that balanced judgment, common sense, initiative and the capacity to confront and resolve a variety of situations are essential traits of a successful accountant. In making employment decisions, we seek accountants who are highly technically proficient and independent-thinkers and possess strong computer, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills. We seek focused and ambitious accountants who are dedicated to excellence and integrity and flourish in a fast-paced environment.
We offer competitive salaries based on experience and value, as well as a comprehensive benefits package including, but not limited to:
- Comprehensive medical and dental programs
- 401(k) with firm match
- Generous pension/profit sharing program
- Flexible spending and transportation benefits
- Generous PTO
- Discretionary bonus
- Life Insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Long term disability insurance
- Learning Center Programs
- An in-house education resource offering a wide range of learning opportunities
- Employee assistance programs such as:
- Elder and dependent care referral service
- Health advocate services
- Gym membership discount program
- Weight loss program discounts
- Health coaching
- CPA review course and exam fee reimbursement
- Firm and Practice Group Sponsored Events including retreats, sports teams, and holiday parties
TAG provides the opportunity for a sophisticated, challenging and enjoyable career in accounting. At TAG, you will have the chance to develop a varied and interesting practice, learn and grow, represent clients in many industries and interact with a diverse group of dedicated professionals.
We will accelerate your professional development by encouraging you to assume responsibility for client matters and client development early in your career. We also enhance your skills and broaden the range of your capabilities through comprehensive training programs.
Presently, opportunities exist in an exciting and vibrant center city Philadelphia location with access to resources in our offices throughout the country and around the world. We encourage you to contact us if you are interested in developing your career at a high level in a challenging and professional environment and contributing to the success of TAG. To inquire about opportunities, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tax Seniors — CPAs
CPAs with 3-8 years of recent public accounting experience. Successful candidates will perform a wide variety of tax compliance and planning activities for high net worth individuals, businesses and trusts. Candidates will also work closely with clients and senior managers providing innovative tax planning solutions and strategies. CPA required, advanced taxation degree helpful.
Tax Managers — CPAs
Self-sufficient CPAs with 6+ years of public accounting experience. Industry experience helpful. Successful candidates will perform a wide variety of tax compliance, planning, review and tax representation activities for high net worth individuals, businesses and trusts. Candidates will also work closely with clients and senior managers providing innovative tax planning solutions and strategies, staff development and management, and new client acquisition activities. CPA required, advanced taxation degree helpful, along with recent experience in a medium-sized or regional CPA firm.
Tax Accountants — Trust and Accounting Specialists
CPAs, EAs and paralegals with tax compliance and tax research experience. Successful candidates will possess demonstrated ability to efficiently prepare fiduciary and individual tax returns of simple to high complexity for trusts and high net worth individuals as well as demonstrated ability to perform general accounting and bookkeeping functions and payroll tax preparation.
We are currently seeking college students in their junior or senior years. Responsibilities primarily include, but are not limited to, proper preparation of individual, trust, pension plan, partnership, corporate, employment and other tax returns as assigned as well as the preparation of projections of income and tax liabilities. Students will have interaction with attorneys, clients, CPAs and tax accountants offering students the opportunity to network and learn from experienced professionals, in addition to learning through direct performance of tax and related services. All students perform the work of a seasoned tax accounting professional and CPA, including the opportunity to observe and learn the complete process, from tax preparation, to the important administrative processes of assembly and distribution of tax returns and client interaction. We believe it is important to assist our interns in career development activities, accomplished through a comprehensive mentoring program, whereby our interns are assigned a formal mentor, who guides and advises them on career development issues. In addition to a formal mentor, all of TAG's CPAs are available to assist the intern in understanding and evaluating the roles and responsibilities of a CPA and tax professional. As a result of this formal process to assist our interns in career and professional development, a majority of students who experienced internship opportunities with us decide to join our practice full time upon graduation.
TAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.