Seth A. Goldberg counsels clients in business and litigation, with a particular emphasis in highly-regulated industries such as cannabis, pharmaceuticals and healthcare. He serves as a team lead for the Duane Morris Cannabis industry group, and has been recognized by various publications, including the prestigious Chambers and Partners, for his work in the cannabis space.
Companies, directors, and individuals involved in commercial litigation, products liability and regulatory matters rely on Mr. Goldberg's extensive experience with complex legal and business issues and his strategic decision-making to guide them toward optimal results.
As an active, seasoned trial lawyer, who regularly appears in federal and state courts, arbitral forums, and before federal and state regulatory agencies, including the SEC, FTC and state attorneys general, Mr. Goldberg has become a go-to lawyer in high-stakes cases and corporate investigations.
In addition, Mr. Goldberg's unique experience in highly-regulated markets, combined with his entrepreneurial interests, has led to his involvement with the emerging cannabis (marijuana and hemp) industry. In this market he advises core and ancillary cannabis companies, including growers, processors, dispensaries, infused-product manufacturers, real estate developers, universities and university research centers, raw materials companies, and investors in a wide array of regulatory and business matters pertaining to their legal cannabis activities.
Mr. Goldberg spearheaded the establishment of the firm’s Cannabis Industry Group from 2015-2018, and has been appointed as a team lead for the group in 2019. In April 2020, Mr. Goldberg was recognized by Chambers and Partners as being in the "Top-Tier Nationwide" among lawyers who practice in the cannabis space, quoting a client as saying, "Seth is a great businessman - not only does he understand the law, but also the business realities of things, which makes him a great adviser from that perspective." In November 2018, Mr. Goldberg was named one of the 30 powerful cannabis attorneys to know in the cannabis industry by MG Magazine, and in October 2018, Mr. Goldberg was recognized as a Trailblazer in Cannabis Law by the National Law Journal.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial and Complex Litigation/Class Actions
- Fiduciary Duties
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a publicly traded global cannabis company in connection with its U.S. cannabis business interests, including regulatory matters pertaining to a $300 million acquisition of a hemp-derived CBD product manufacturer and the distribution of hemp-derived CBD topicals and vapors in all 50 U.S. states.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a private credit asset management firm in connection with a $50 million secured financing to a premier producer of packaging and other ancillary products and services to the cannabis and hemp industries.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel to a publicly traded manufacturer of industrial pump equipment supplied to the U.S. cannabis industry in connection with its supply contracts and compliance with state and federal cannabis regulations.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a manufacturer of hemp-derived CBD products in connection with the distribution of its hemp-derived CBD topicals and vapors in convenience store chains in more than two-dozen U.S. states.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for French manufacturer of chromatography equipment supplied to the U.S. cannabis industry with respect to supply contracts and compliance with state and federal cannabis regulations.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for one of the largest internet medical ad networks in connection with advertising cannabis-related businesses using its health market online advertising services.
- Represent the Defendants-THC and CBD vaping and infused product manufacturers-in the first ever federal trademark infringement action involving federal trademark rights to use the WOODSTOCK trademark on smoking-related products, including vapor. See Woodstock Ventures LC, et al. v. Woodstock Products Co. International, Inc., et al., SDNY 1:18-cv-01840-RWS
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a Fortune 500 natural gas company in connection with its evaluation of supplying natural gas and related products and equipment to cannabis cultivators and processors.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a venture capital fund in connection with its investments in California and Massachusetts cannabis operations and real estate holdings pertaining to cannabis operations.
- Provide cannabis-related banking and regulatory advice concerning payment systems for cannabis dispensary operations.
- Represent THC and CBD infused product manufacturer in documenting a bridge loan for $2,000,000 in operating capital.
- Represent THC and CBD infused product manufacturer in connection with corporate restructuring, with a particular emphasis on intellectual property assets and taxation.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a world-renowned neurosurgeon in connection with a clinical research program involving THC and CBD.
- Represent a vertically-integrated operator with licenses in MA, MD, and NH in various aspects of its business, including general corporate, capital raising, and intellectual property.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel for a Canadian cannabis fund with subsidiary entities, employees and contractors in California.
- Representing a Canadian company in connection with its 20-F Registration filed with the SEC.
- Advising one of the world’s leading hospitals in connection with their research into the therapeutic benefits of THC and CBD.
- Cannabis regulatory counsel to a cannabis-related venture capital fund in the creation of the fund and capital formation activities, as well as advising on portfolio companies in ancillary cannabis businesses.
- Advising universities interested in conducting cannabis-related research on the wide range of pertinent regulatory issues.
- Representing an applicant for permits to grow, process and dispense medical marijuana pursuant to the clinical registrant provisions of Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Act in connection with their applications.
- Represents generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in action brought by 40 state attorneys general alleging violations of antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the pricing of generic drugs.
- Represented osteopaths in a class action alleging that the American Osteopathic Association's conditioning of board certification on the purchase of membership in the Association constituted unlawful tying in violation of antitrust laws. The class action was resolved with an injunction against the AOA preventing their illegal tie, which was found to violate the Sherman Antitrust Act, and future benefits for approximately 100,000 Osteopathic Physicians with a value of around $84 Million.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Virtua Health, Inc., a health system of four hospitals in southern New Jersey, against Deborah Heart and Lung Center, a specialty hospital in southern New Jersey, in federal antitrust litigation in which the court held Deborah failed to show any adverse effect on competition in the market.
- Counsel to a Philadelphia-area hospital in an action alleging antitrust claims against the region's largest health insurance company arising out of hospital reimbursement rates.
- Routinely advises clients in the healthcare and pharmaceutical markets on antitrust issues pertaining to commercial arrangements.
- Appointed by the Court as “Lead Counsel” and “Liaison Counsel” on behalf of the defendants in MDL No. 2875, In Re: Valsartan Products Liability Lead Litigation, and individually represent an active pharmaceutical ingredient manufacturer, finished dose manufacturer, distributor and retailers in the action, which alleges personal injury and products liability claims arising out an alleged "contaminant" in valsartan.
- Counsel to a statewide class of emergency room physicians in Tennessee asserting class action claims against a health insurance companies arising out of improper reimbursement for so-called “non-emergency” services.
- Counsel to one of the world's largest private equity firms and a venture capital firm in an action seeking $48 million in damages arising out of the breach of a merger agreement relating to the acquisition of a medical device company and regulatory approval of a medical device.
- Counsel to one of the world's largest private equity firms and a venture capital firm in an action seeking $225 million in damages arising out of the breach of a merger agreement relating to the acquisition of a medical device company and regulatory approval of a medical device.
- Counsel to a publicly traded medical device manufacturer asserting claims for breach of restrictive covenants and tortious interference with contract against a competitor and former sales representatives.
- Counsel to an executive of a publicly traded pharmaceutical manufacturer in an investigation arising out of an alleged violation of restrictive covenants.
- Counsel to a statewide class of emergency room physicians in Illinois asserting class action claims against health insurance companies arising out of improper reimbursement for non-contracted services provided to beneficiaries enrolled in the insurer's Medicaid plan.
- Counsel to statewide classes of pathologists in Illinois, Texas and Tennessee asserting class action claims in three separate class action arbitrations against a health insurance company arising out of improper reimbursement for contracted services provided to beneficiaries enrolled in the insurer’s health care plans.
- Counsel to a national class of hospitals asserting class action claims against two insurance companies arising out of improper reimbursement for facility charges, as opposed to professional charges.
- Representing Virtua Health Inc. and Capital Health System Inc. in a case against the state of New Jersey, seeking to hold unconstitutional as "special legislation" a law that transfers the right to provide emergency medical services from Virtua and Capital to other hospitals without regard to the established regulatory structure.
- Counsel to The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania in a challenge to a General Appropriations Act that set a default reimbursement rate for out-of-network emergency services provided to enrollees of Medical Assistance managed care organizations; the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania issued a unanimous ruling invalidating the provision in favor of the Duane Morris client.
- Obtained a "no-action" letter from the SEC on behalf of the Chairman and CEO of an industry-leading company following a multi-year investigation.
- Counsel to an executive of a publicly traded company in an SEC investigation and dozens of class actions arising out of alleged disclosure violations concerning the executive's personal business arrangements with the company, the company's accounting for certain commercial transactions and the company's liquidity.
- Counsel to an executive of a publicly traded company in class actions arising out of alleged disclosure violations concerning the executive's compensation, as well as other commercial transactions of his company.
- Counsel to the board of a publicly traded company in a class action alleging fiduciary duty breaches arising out of a proposed $1.2 billion merger.
- Counsel to the board of a publicly traded company in a class action alleging fiduciary duty breaches arising out of the company's equity compensation program.
- Counsel to an executive of a publicly traded company in a class action alleging fiduciary duty breaches arising out of the company's issuance of dividends.
Commercial and Complex Litigation
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Villanova Law School
- Adjunct Professor, Complex Litigation Theory and Practice
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2008-present
- Associate, 2003-2007
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Associate, 1999-2003
- University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- American Trade Association for Cannabis and Hemp (ATACH) Task Force
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Pennsylvania Trailblazers by The Legal Intelligencer, 2019
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019 and 2020
Named to MG Retailer's list of 30 Powerful Cannabis Attorneys You Should Know, 2018
Named to National Law Journal's Cannabis Law Trailblazers List, 2018
Recognized as a Pennsylvania Rising Star in Business Litigation, Philadelphia magazine, June 2011 and December 2008
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Girard College High School
- Developed and implemented a mentoring program for juniors and seniors interested in the practice of law
- Coach, Mock Trial Team
- Leadership Council for Legal Diversity, Mentor
- Contributor, Duane Morris Cannabis Industry Blog
- Contributor, Duane Morris Health Law Blog
- Co-author, "Consumer Class Actions Against CBD Companies Are Hitting a Snag," Cannabis Industry Journal, August 25, 2020
- Co-author, "DEA Issues Interim Final Rule Concerning Marijuana and Hemp," Duane Morris Alert, August 24, 2020
- Co-author, "New FDA Draft Guidance on Cannabis-Related Clinical Research Omits Discussion of Nondrug CBD Products," Duane Morris Alert, July 23, 2020
- Interviewed, "Cannabis Law – Expert Focus with Seth Goldberg of Duane Morris," Chambers Associate, June 2020
- Quoted, "CBD Companies Get Hit with Wave of Class-Action Lawsuits," PoliticoPro, June 15, 2020
- Quoted, "Tilray Execs Misled Investors over ABG Cannabis Deal," Marijuana Business Daily, June 11, 2020
- Co-author, "Judicial Decisions Reflect Need for CBD Regulations and Legal Counsel," Duane Morris Alert, June 9, 2020
- Quoted, "Cannafornia CEO and Investors Enter Ugly Legal Battle," Cannabis Business Times, June 3, 2020
- Quoted, "Coping With A Pandemic: Duane Morris' Seth Goldberg," Law360, May 14, 2020
- Co-author, "Preparing for Resource-Draining Lawsuits," mg Magazine, April 2020
- Quoted, "Essential Yet Illegal: COVID-19 Shows Fed Cannabis Policy is Unsustainable," mg Magazine, March 26, 2020
- Quoted, "Major Law Firms Are Ramping up Efforts to Win Cannabis Clients As They Stake Claims to an Industry That Could Be Worth $85 Billion," Business Insider, March 4, 2020
- Co-author, "FDA Provides Insight on Research and Drug Approval for Cannabis Products," Duane Morris Alert, January 24, 2020
- Quoted, "Time for an Update," Chicago Lawyer Magazine, January 2020
- Quoted, "Reading the tea leaves: What 10 cannabis bigwigs predict 2020 will bring to the world of weed," The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 31, 2019
- Quoted, "The Year In Cannabis Case Law: Major Pot Rulings From 2019," Law360, December 20, 2019
- Co-author, "Spate of FDA and FTC Warning Letters Sets Stage for Wave of False Advertising Consumer Class Action Lawsuits," Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2019
- Quoted, "Made In Canada: Why US Pot Is Tied To Its Northern Neighbor," Law360, December 2, 2019
- Author, "Federal Banking Regulators Take Steps to Allow Financial Services for Hemp-Related Businesses," Duane Morris Alert, December 3, 2019
- Quoted, "‘Monumental’ Day for Cannabis in U.S. Congress; Key Committee Votes to Make Marijuana Federally Legal," The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 20, 2019
- Quoted, "4 Tips For Cannabis Companies Amid Lung Illness Outbreak," Law360, November 1, 2019
- Quoted, "Legal Cannabis Opportunities Present Legal Hurdles for Hoteliers," Hotel Management, October 31, 2019
- Quoted, "The New Handbook on Hemp: Thoughts from Practice Leaders," Higher Law, October 31, 2019
- Co-author, "USDA Releases Long-Awaited Federal Rules on Hemp Production, but State-by-State Regulatory Differences Remain," Duane Morris Alert, October 30, 2019
- Quoted, "USDA Announces Plan to Greenlight Hemp Farming Across U.S.," CBD Today, October 30, 2019
- Quoted, "The USDA Hemp Rules Are Out, and They Account for Some THC Variance," Hemp Industry Daily, October 29, 2019
- Co-author, "THC Vaping Health Issues Warrant Safety Standards," Law360, September 25, 2019
- Quoted, "The Future of a Rising Industry: Pennsylvania Hemp Summit Highlights," Freedom Leaf, October 15, 2019
Quoted, "Lawyer Perspective on Vaping," Law.com, September 19, 2019
Co-author, "FTC Warning Letters and Reports of Vaping-Related Illnesses Hit Cannabis Industry," Duane Morris Alert, September 11, 2019
Co-author, "DEA Announcement on Improving Access to Marijuana Research," Duane Morris Alert, September 3, 2019
Quoted, "Cannabis Has Big Law Seeing Green, but the Am Law 50 Are Skipping the Party," The American Lawyer, July 28, 2019
Co-author, "How to Stand Up to RICO Lawsuits," MG Magazine, June 24, 2019
Co-author, "USDA Provides Memo Clarifying Key Provisions of 2018 Farm Bill Regarding Hemp," Duane Morris Alert, May 30, 2019
Co-author, "A Green Light for the Sunshine State - Florida Legislature Approves Sweeping Changes to Hemp, CBD Regulation," Duane Morris Alert, May 7, 2019
Quoted, "The FDA, CBD and Risk Compliance | New Cannabis Bill Is Bipartisan | Who Got the Work," Law.com, April 4, 2019
Quoted, "Duane Morris LLP Cannabis Attorney, Seth Goldberg, on CVS and Walgreens Decision to Sell CBD," PotNetwork, April 3, 2019
Quoted, "Colorado Congresswoman Hopes to Codify Non-Enforcement on Legal Cannabis Businesses," Corporate Counsel, April 2, 2019
Quoted, "Attorneys: CBD Concentration, Supply Chains Will Be Questioned by FDA During April Public Comments," Corporate Counsel, March 22, 2019
Quoted, "Duane Morris Cannabis Group Adds Team Leads In NY, SF," Law 360, January 18, 2019
Quoted, "How Rico Became the New Tool of Anti-marijuana Crusaders: An Exclusive Conversation With Seth Goldberg and David Mctaggart of the Duane Morris Cannabis Practice," Pot Network, January 14, 2019
Co-author, "Federal Court in California Dismisses RICO Claim Against Cannabis Growing Operation," Duane Morris Alert, January 10, 2019
Quoted, "Meet the Duane Morris Lawyers Who Are Working on Some of the Biggest Deals in the Booming Marijuana Industry," Business Insider, January 9, 2019
Author, "Final 2018 Farm Bill Proposes Hemp to Be Removed from Controlled Substances Act; CBD Derived from Hemp to Be Regulated by States," Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2018
Quoted, "Big Law Firms Are Building Out Specialized Pot Practices to Chase Down a Red-Hot Market For Weed Deals," Business Insider, December 3, 2018
Quoted, "Mitch McConnell’s Farm Bill Could Blow Up the CBD Market," The Stranger, November 28, 2018
Featured, "Philly lawyer among ’30 Powerful Cannabis Attorneys You Should Know’," Philly.com, November 8, 2018
Featured, "30 Powerful Cannabis Attorneys You Should Know," MG Retailer, November 5, 2018
Quoted, "Duane Morris Partnership May Cement Status in Cannabis Industry," Bloomberg Law, October 19, 2018
Quoted, "Duane Morris Partners With Cannabis Trade Association," Law360, October 18, 2018
Quoted, "Duane Morris Links With Cannabis Trade Group as Legal Use Spreads," The Legal Intelligencer, October 17, 2018
Quoted, "More Law Firms Rolling With Cannabis Ventures," Bloomberg BNA, August 9, 2018
Author, "Making Cannabis Banking Easier Is in the Public Interest," National Law Journal, June 6, 2018
Author, "Cannabis Banking is a Matter of Public Safety," The Legal Intelligencer, May 22, 2018
Quoted, "Marijuana Insurers in Holding Pattern After Sessions Memo," Business Insurance, April 17, 2018
Interviewed in "Interview with Seth Goldberg: Is NJ About To Fire Up The East Coast Regulation Rush? And Hemp vs Cannabis," Cannabis Law Report, March 2018
Quoted, "Medical Marijuana Business Banking Remains Difficult," New York Law Journal, March 14, 2018
Quoted in “How Legal Marijuana in New Jersey Will Disrupt Pennsylvania's Medical Program: A Q&A with Duane Morris Lawyers,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 17, 2017
Co-author, "FDA Warns Cannabidiol-Infused Products Manufacturers Over Health Claims," Duane Morris Alert, November 14, 2017
- Quoted in "Insurers Leery of a Growth Market," Business Insurance, October 2, 2017
- Quoted in "Lateral Surge On The Horizon As BigLaw Gets Into Pot," Law360, August 17, 2017
- Quoted in "Duane Morris Tackling the New Global Cannabis Industry," Cannabis Law Report, May 17, 2017
Co-author, "Affidavit: Healthcare and the Law - Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Act: Key Components and Potential Risks," The Wharton Healthcare Quarterly, Fall 2016
- Co-author, "Third Circuit's Reasoning on Hershey-PinnacleHealth Merger," The Legal Intelligencer, October 13, 2016
Co-author, "Advice on Medical Marijuana for Lawyers in Pennsylvania," The Legal Intelligencer, December 10, 2014
- Co-author, "State Law Negligence Claims May Be Coming Under HIPAA," Law360, November 26, 2014
- Co-author, "Responding to Subpoena for Medical Records May Create Liability for Healthcare Providers Under State Law Negligence Claims," Duane Morris Alert, November 14, 2014
- Co-author, "Representing the Targeted Executive: Diplomacy Matters," Corporate Counsel, May 29, 2014
- Co-author, "Settling the Issue of Life Settlements," The Deal, March 9, 2011
- "Class Arbitration Chaos," BNA Class Action Litigation Report, 11 CLASS 2, January 22, 2010
- "Rehashing Issues in Class Action Arbitration," Dispute Resolution Magazine, Fall 2008, Vol. 14, No. 1
- "O'Dell v. Netherland: Unconstitutional Death Sentence Affirmed on a Technicality," Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review, Vol. 8.1, Fall, 1998
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Professional Sports & CBD: The Journey Ahead," Duane Morris Webinar, MGO and ELLO Capital Webinar, September 15, 2020
- Presenter, "Cannabis 303: Civil Litigation and COVID-19 Implications for the Cannabis Industry: An Unavoidable Consequence of a Maturing U.S. Cannabis Market," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, April 21, 2020
- Presenter, "Cannabis 205: What Big Global Companies Should Know About Entering the Cannabis Space," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, October 15, 2019
Speaker, PICPA Valuation & Forensic Accounting Conference, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, November 18, 2019
Speaker, "Hot Topics for In-House Counsel at Health Care Institutions," University of Maryland, Francis King Carey School of Law, Baltimore, October 11, 2019
Panelist, "The Future of Retailing Hemp Products," The Pennsylvania Hemp Summit, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, October 8, 2019
Speaker, "Ethically Speaking: Issues and Uncertainties in Practicing Cannabis Law," FDLI 2019 Food Advertising, Labeling, and Litigation Conference, Washington, D.C., September 27, 2019
Presenter, "Clearing the Smoke: Pennsylvania Marijuana Laws," Duane Morris LLP and the Pennsylvania Food Merchants Association Webinar, August 1, 2019
Speaker, "Finding Regulatory Zen for Cannabis and Hemp Products After the 2018 Farm Bill," Food and Drug Law Institute, July 23, 2019
Presenter, "Cannabis 202: IP Issues Facing the Cannabis Industry," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, June 18, 2019
Presenter, "Legal and Policy Update," American Trade Association of Cannabis and Hemp's Lobby Day's Conference, May 8, 2019.
Presenter, "Cannabis 201: CBD and Hemp Regulatory Update," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, May 7, 2019
Interviewed on "Cannabusiness: The Marijuana Industry," Business Radio, Sirius XM, February 26, 2019
Speaker, "Industrial Hemp - How to Assure Opportunities for Small Farmers," Rural Coalition Winter Forum, Washington, D.C., December 14, 2018
Presenter, "Cannabis 109: Legal Cannabis and Insurance," The Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, November 8, 2018
Speaker, "The Cannabis & Insurance Segment," American Insurance Association, Webinar, October 10, 2018
Moderator, “Cannabis 107: The U.S. and Canadian Cannabis Markets: 2018 Mid-Year Review,” Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, July 24, 2018
Panelist, "The US Cannabis Market: New Promise, Persistent Constraints," CFN Insider, July 19, 2018
Speaker, "The Impact of Opioids and Medical Marijuana in Healthcare: How Are You Managing Those Risks," Philadelphia Area Society for HealthCare Risk Management - Annual Spring Conference, April 26, 2018
Panelist, "The Emerging AG Role in Cannabis Markets," Spring Policy Meeting of the Democratic Attorneys General Association, Santa Fe, March 15, 2018
Presenter, "Seeing Green? A look at Marijuana Law and Surety Bonds," NASBP Virtual Webinar, February 21, 2018
Speaker, "The Healing Power of Knowledge," Affinity Bio Partners and Affinity BioCeuticals, Philadelphia, PA, February 21, 2018
Presenter, "The Regulation of Medical Marijuana Under Federal and Pennsylvania Law," 24th Annual Health Law Institute, Philadelphia, March 13-14, 2018
- Speaker, "Valuation Trends and Investment Opportunities in the Cannabis Industry," Expert Webcast, June 29, 2017
- Presenter, "Complying With Federal and State Regulations," Clearing the Smoke: Legal Pathways to Success in the Cannabis Industry, June 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Cannabis - Investing in One of the Fastest 'Growing' Life Sciences Segments," ACG Webinar, May 9, 2017