Washington, D.C. Phone Number: +1 202 776 5255
Christopher H. Casey concentrates his practice in the areas of white-collar defense and criminal and civil antitrust litigation, and has particular experience with the financial services, telecommunications, healthcare, and food industries. Mr. Casey previously worked in the Associate Attorney General's Office of the United States Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and as an Assistant United States Attorney. Relying on his government experience, he regularly conducts internal investigations for his clients.
As a Deputy Associate Attorney General from 2014 to 2016, Mr. Casey advised top officials in the DOJ on the formulation and execution of policy in the areas of financial fraud, antitrust, tax and bankruptcy. Mr. Casey’s oversight responsibilities included the Antitrust Division, the Tax Division, and the United States Trustee Program.
He was one of two deputies to the Associate Attorney General—the Department’s third-highest ranking official—who supervised the Department’s cases against the world’s largest financial institutions for the fraudulent packaging and sale of Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities (RMBS). In this role, he worked with the Obama Administration’s Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force and RMBS Working Group, as well as lawyers in the Department’s Civil Division and in U.S. Attorney’s Offices throughout the country. Those cases produced multibillion-dollar settlements with Bank of America, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, and Barclays. He also worked with the leadership of the United States Trustee Program, the watchdog of the U.S. bankruptcy system, on investigations of mortgage-loan servicing violations by major financial institutions.
While at the DOJ, Mr. Casey led the Department’s development of a first-ever policy for selection of compliance monitors in civil corporate settlements. Working with the Antitrust Division, he led the Department’s response to the White House Executive Order on Competition in 2016. Mr. Casey was also part of the working group that developed the Department’s September 2015 policy statement on “Individual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing” (the “Yates Memorandum"), one of the most important policy initiatives to come out of the DOJ under President Obama.
In addition to the DOJ, Mr. Casey spent nearly six years litigating antitrust merger challenges at the FTC in Washington, primarily in the telecommunications, energy, chemical, healthcare, and food industries.
As Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania from 1999 to 2006, Mr. Casey prosecuted felony white-collar, narcotics, firearms and immigration crimes.
Mr. Casey earned his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School and his B.A. in mathematics from the College of the Holy Cross.
Areas of Practice
White-Collar Criminal Defense
Antitrust and Competition
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1987
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A., 1983
Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2018-present
Hogan Lovells US LLP
- Partner, 2016-2018
United States Department of Justice
- Deputy Associate Attorney General, 2014-2016
Dilworth Paxson LLP
- Partner, 2006-2014
-Chair, Corporate Investigations and White Collar Group, 2013-14
United States Attorney’s Office, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Assistant United States Attorney, 1999-2006
Sole Practitioner/Assistant Public Defender, Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1995-1999
Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Competition
- Antitrust Litigator, 1990-1995
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Law Clerk, 1988-1990
- Associate, 1987-1988
Kimmel Cancer Center, 2013-14
Honors and Awards
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Named Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, Criminal Defense: White Collar category, by Philadelphia Magazine, 2013, 2014
Federal Trade Commission, Award for Meritorious Service, 1994, 1995
Member, Federal Criminal Law Committee for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
American Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Section
- White Collar Crime Committee
- Antitrust Law Section
- Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee
- Pricing Conduct Committee
- Trial Practice Committee
- Litigation Section
- Business Torts and Unfair Competition Litigation Committee
- Criminal Justice Section
- Conducted analysis of antitrust risk of proposed merger of healthcare delivery systems
- Represented packaged seafood company against allegations of price-fixing.
- Successfully defended aviation fuel refiner against refusal to deal claims by retailer in Hawaii state court.
- Represented airline in dispute with competitor raising potential antitrust issues.
- Obtained business review letter from DOJ Antitrust Division approving merger creating largest physician network in northeastern Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended action by Pennsylvania Securities Commission against manufacturer of military cameras.
- Successfully represented executive in price-fixing class action litigation in polyurethane foam industry (N.D. Ohio).
- Liaison counsel for indirect purchaser class in nationwide price fixing class action, In re Chocolate Confectionary Antitrust Litigation M.D. Pa.)
- Represented mushroom grower defending price-fixing class action in federal court (E.D. Pa.)
- Successfully defended manufacturer of wastewater treatment systems against subpoena by Antitrust Section of Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office in bid-rigging investigation.
- Conducted internal investigation of allegations of commercial bribery for national food service company
- Conducted internal investigation of possible violations of wiretapping laws for national health care company
- Represent defendant against allegations of tax evasion by U.S. Attorney’s Office (E.D.Pa.)
- Lead counsel for Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus defending investigation by Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General of alleged illegal use of government resources, known as “Bonusgate”.
- Lead counsel defending investigation by U.S. Attorney’s Office (E.D. Pa.) of sitting member of Congress.
- Lead counsel for Pennsylvania Senate Democratic Caucus defending document subpoenas in corruption investigation by U.S. Attorney’s Office (M.D. Pa.)
- Achieved declination of prosecution from U.S. Attorney’s Office (M. D. Pa.) for prominent attorney in investigation involving alleged theft of estate funds.
- Achieved declination of prosecution from U.S. Attorney’s Office (W. D. Pa.) for alleged promoter of fraudulent investment scheme.
- Represented Turkish chemical company defending trade secret litigation in Delaware Court of Chancery and Pennsylvania state court.
- Successfully defended real estate developer from suit by neighboring landowner seeking specific performance of right of first refusal to 75-acre property; obtained denial of specific performance after trial, allowing developer to keep land (Lebanon County C.P.)
- Successfully defended roofing company in contractual dispute with supplier; obtained $2 million judgment after federal court trial (E.D.Pa.)
- Successfully defended cable television distribution company against claim of tortious interference with contract; obtained favorable verdict after state court trial (Luzerne County C.P.).
- Successfully defended three health insurers against requests for disclosure of proprietary rate information under Pennsylvania Right To Know Law; obtained reversal in Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court of adverse trial court ruling.
- Successfully represented bank in foreclosure action in state court, obtaining $1 million equitable lien (Bucks County C.P.)
- Successfully represented The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Daily News, and several of their reporters, in defamation suits, access litigation under Pennsylvania Right To Know Law, and subpoena defense.
- Member of litigation team that successfully represented receiver in hedge fund fraud case, resulting in recovery of $96 million for investors (Harmelin v. Man Financial Inc., E.D.Pa.).
Antitrust and Securities Litigation
Quoted in, "Tweaks to Yates Memo Will Make Investigations More Efficient, Lawyers Say," Global Investigations Review, January 8, 2019
Co-author, "DOJ Eases Yates Memo’s “All or Nothing” Approach to Corporate Cooperation Credit," Duane Morris Alert, December 10, 2018
Author, "App Buyers’ Claim of Apple Monopolization Has Supreme Court Questioning Longstanding Antitrust Doctrine," Duane Morris Alert, December 4, 2018
Author, "DOJ Antitrust Division Suffers Another Trial Setback in Forex-Rigging Case," Duane Morris Alert, November 7, 2018
Author, "DOJ Criminal Division Issues New Guidance on Corporate Compliance Monitors," Duane Morris Alert, October 23, 2018
Author, "FIRREA: A Powerful Tool for the Government," The Banking Law Journal, November/December 2018
Author, "Enforcement Against "No-Poach" Agreements on the Rise," Duane Morris Alert, July 23, 2018
Quoted in, "HSBC Is In Talks With U.S. to End Crisis-Era Mortgage Probe," Bloomberg, July 5, 2017
Quoted in, “FTC Highlights Record-Breaking Actions in 2016,” Commercial Dispute Resolution Magazine, May 31, 2017
Quoted in, "Competition Cases to Watch In 2017," Law360, January 2, 2017
Co-author, "Don't Shoot the Plaintiff: The New Regime in Federal Pleading," The Legal Intelligencer, June 30, 2010
Co-author, "Dual Enforcement of Antitrust Laws Keeps Businesses in Line," The Legal Intelligencer, September 24, 2008
Co-author, "Recent High Court Decisions May Help or Hurt Antitrust Defendants," The Legal Intelligencer, April 29, 2008
Co-author, "U.S. High Court Poised to Clarify Its Holding in Booker Case," The Legal Intelligencer, April 17, 2007
Co-author, "The Booker Revolution in Federal Sentencing Has Not Materialized," The Legal Intelligencer, September 27, 2006
Selected Speaking Engagements
"Dealing with Corporate Crisis," The Directors Roundtable, New York, June 28, 2018
Presenter, "Antitrust Enforcement Action Update," Commercial Dispute Resolution Magazine's Spring Competition Litigation Symposium, London, February 23, 2017