Duane Morris practices and industry teams have been ranked in the following areas in The Legal 500 US 2021 guide.
Acting for central and ancillary cannabis industry clients, Duane Morris LLP stands out for its broad practice in the area, with regular activity in matters ranging from financings, M&A and joint ventures, to litigation, tax and regulatory issues. Publicly-traded companies, private funds, family offices and high-net worth individuals are among the team's core clients.
Seth A. Goldberg is named a "Leading Lawyer" in the area.
- "My key contact is Michael Schwamm. His team is excellent and very knowledgeable regarding cannabis matters."
- "Michael Schwamm is a leader in the group and provides excellent and prompt advice."
Duane Morris LLP's education practice brings together a multidisciplinary team skilled across litigation, real estate, and employment law, and has a very strong reputation, "rooted in understanding the needs of in-house counsel."
- "This practice group is rooted in understanding the needs of in-house counsel and providing recommendation and advice in which operational impact is considered."
- "Tony Guida is exceptional at connecting people and issues and staffing matters with key talent, while considering the client need. He is well respected in the field and has served in a variety of capacities in-house prior to move to partner. His appreciation of board expectations, operational needs legal and regulatory concerns leads to unmatched service."
- "The Duane Morris team affords us a truly bipartisan approach to our efforts. They are well read and able to breakdown key points of legislation that would have effects on our membership while offering well thought out strategies to embrace or fight against."
Other key lawyers: Grant Puleo
Duane Morris LLP is recommended for its expertise in M&A, patents, and commercial licensing and collaboration agreements, acting for domestic companies in addition to a strong roster of clients in the Asia-Pacific region.
- "They understand client's needs and work very closely to address those. Team has subject knowledge and applies it effectively in strategizing pre-litigation and litigation matters."
- "They suggest different strategies and ideas for defenses. Also, innovative ways for settlement terms. Billing is also great and adjusts according to client's needs."
- "Rick Ball is the individual who stands out. He gels with client's team very well, understands their needs, flexible, innovative, strategizes properly."
Duane Morris LLP offers a full suite of transactional, regulatory and litigation services to hospitals, individual physicians, and post-acute, senior and long-term care facilities. It also has experience of telemedicine and myriad IT issues facing the industry.
Duane Morris LLP's insurance team handles the full range of insurance matters, representing insurer's interests in coverage and litigation matters, and counseling on corporate, regulatory, and transactional issues. Its core practice represents commercial liability insurers in general, excess and professional lines.
Other key lawyers: Philip Matthews
Duane Morris LLP handles a wide range of M&A and strategic corporate governance work, regularly representing business entities, lenders and private equity funds. The group draws on the firm's strong banking and finance department, advising on acquisition financing, syndicated loan transactions, venture debt financings, fund formations and equity investments. The team has a particularly strong venture capital offering in the alternative energy, technology and manufacturing sectors.
- "They will take care of any and all challenges presented."
- "This is a practice that is hardworking, dedicated to their client, and overall very down to earth and friendly. They can explain issues quickly and efficiently, and are helpful in suggesting solutions that will work for their client. We have completed several transactions with Duane Morris, most recently in the last three years a debt recapitalization and a minority equity sale, and in each transaction there were complex tax and structure questions that had to be worked through in order to get the transaction over the finish line. Duane Morris was able to creatively navigate the hurdles, all while explaining the nuances to their client, and we were able to come out on the other side in a better place thanks to their thorough efforts."
Practice head(s): Brian Kerwin
At Duane Morris LLP, the immigration practice is able to leverage the firm's wider capabilities in tax, corporate, and litigation to provide a full service offering to clients operating across the technology and pharmaceutical industry. ... The firm's New York office has been significantly strengthened with its merger with Satterlee Stephens LLP putting the headcount to 60 practitioners.
Denyse Sabagh is ranked in the "Hall of Fame" category.
Practice head(s): Lisa Spiegel
"Responsive, transparent, knowledgeable and hard-working," the team at Duane Morris LLP handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious matters for a variety of project types. In 2020 the team led litigation relating to transport infrastructure, commercial developments and hospitality sites, and also handled contracts work for construction companies, universities and companies in heavy industry.
Meghan DiPerna is named a "Next Generation Partner."
- "The firm is exactly what you hear about them: responsive, transparent, knowledgeable and hard-working. They are as talented at articulating and presenting solutions to complex situations as they are with the substantive law."
- "Owen Newman – Chicago – is an absolute top-notch construction litigator who understands how to handle large, complex construction matters, how to implement a team to work towards a business resolution, and works with all in-house attorneys in the spirit of a true team. He also understand the concepts of construction scheduling and thus works well with outside experts."
- "The firm is outstanding. They do an excellent job on construction-related matters. We have worked with them for over 15 years. They are practicable and understand our needs."
For more information, please visit The Legal 500 website.